Walking distance from the farthest room to the lobby for each resort?

flav

Loving My Ears
Is there a compilation of the walking distance from the farthest room to the lobby for each Disney World resort?

We often read that a resort is spread out and that the room are far, but what is acceptable varies greatly from one person to another. It would be interesting to have a worst case comparison based on real numbers. Thanks 😊

I would love to see that as well. We tend to request far away from elevator for Boardwalk Villas and honestly it's probably less than 3 minutes to the end of the hall, as long as you don't get lost!!! At the end of a long day, I am sure even a short walk feels like forever! I often find taking the stairs to be the easiest if you are able at places like Boardwalk. I've learned every shortcut and I also love the challenge of finding a route in the rain/heat to get through from one end of a resort to the other.

Note - some resorts use internal buses to bring guests up to the front, and it wouldn't be expected or assumed that someone staying at the far end of the resort would actually walk to the front lobby (ex Old Key West).
Agreed. That's what I was thinking. The question might be tough to answer. Walking from a far location at OKW or SS might be measurable. Walking from an internal resort room to the lobby might not.

Some resorts have more than one lobby (AKL and GF come to mind). I've always thought the longest walk to any room at Disney is the one you need to make with tired kids at the end of the night!

So the easiest way to see what a typical walk might look like is google maps. Just pick a resort and location and GO. So for example, Swan Resort to Epcot IG, 13 minutes; CBR lobby to Building 45, 6 minutes.....you can do this for almost every property with walking directions, it's assuming you're not super fast or super slow so it's just an idea but helpful. But to answer your question, I've only seen Magic Guides for disney transportation, which I'm not so sure this are current.

https://magicguides.com/disney-world-transportation-map/

For resorts with multiple buildings, I would google map it.

For resorts with one enclosed building, I don't care how long the walk is from the elevators. At least I'm in climate control...

Yes I have been lost in the hallways of BW been lucky to always have a room by the main pool…. Rain walk back from HS and first door in did not work out so well. AKL What felt like 20 minutes in a room near the end when you had to go to refill a mug. SSR and OKW if you looked at the map never seemed long. CC at WL end of hall just one more turn and 8 doors down. GF and Poly never seemed far…….. Guess it all depends if endless room doors or looking at scenery keeps your mind occupied. If you ask me there just are no rooms close to all at WDW or anywhere else. If you plan on going from your room to X point your entire stay your in luck… if not bring comfortable foot wear.

I think TouringPlans have this information on their room requests section.
Yes, I have looked and played a bit with it. According to them, the farthest room in WDW is 12 minutes walk from the lobby, at CBR and 10-11 minutes at OKW and SSR. I have seen reports of much longer (some saying over a mile).

I personally would not rule any resort because of a 10 minutes walk versus a 5 minutes walk, but what conversion are they using? Half a mile for 10 minutes? Hence my original question, does such chart based on distance exist? From the answers so far, I think not. Thank you for your search.

Yes, I have looked and played a bit with it. According to them, the farthest room in WDW is 12 minutes walk from the lobby, at CBR and 10-11 minutes at OKW and SSR. I have seen reports of much longer (some saying over a mile).

I personally would not rule any resort because of a 10 minutes walk versus a 5 minutes walk, but what conversion are they using? Half a mile for 10 minutes? Hence my original question, does such chart based on distance exist? From the answers so far, I think not. Thank you for your search.
In playing on Google Maps with OKW, I'm thinking the farthest is about 6/10 of a mile and a 13 minute walk (Building 50 to the lobby).

Ask @lentesta . He will explain.

IIRC, we used Google Maps to get the distance and initial walking time estimates. We may have padded those estimates a bit, to account for those in ECVs, with strollers, and such, in some cases.

Here's an example from OKW. The buildings in white are more than 11 minutes walking time from Hospitality House, according to our room finder:

Screenshot from 2023-08-11 07-56-07.png

And Google Maps says the walking time to them is about 13 minutes to the pool (which is the closest waypoint I could get to the check-in area):

Screenshot from 2023-08-11 08-01-25.png

We say on the site that it's a 12-minute walk to the HH. So our estimates and Google Maps are pretty close.

Let me know if you see anything weird, though. Happy to take a look.

Len

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-08-11 07-56-29.png
    Screenshot from 2023-08-11 07-56-29.png
    836.8 KB · Views: 0
I've joked that the other 'endless hallway' at Disney besides the one in Haunted Mansion was the one we had to walk to get to our room at Boardwalk. :faint:
We had a room at the far end of Boardwalk Villas (the DVC side) and referred to the hallway as the one from The Shining (like when Danny is riding his bike in the hallways). It's not so much the length of walk, but there are no windows or lookouts to break up the view. It just feels like an unending hallway as you describe.

What we ended up doing was taking the side stairs near our room to get outside and then walk up the outside boardwalk, which is so much more of a pleasant walk. However we never tried to see if we could enter through those when returning at night, so we just walked the long hallway on the night returns.

IIRC, we used Google Maps to get the distance and initial walking time estimates. We may have padded those estimates a bit, to account for those in ECVs, with strollers, and such, in some cases.

Here's an example from OKW. The buildings in white are more than 11 minutes walking time from Hospitality House, according to our room finder:

View attachment 784576

And Google Maps says the walking time to them is about 13 minutes to the pool (which is the closest waypoint I could get to the check-in area):

View attachment 784579

We say on the site that it's a 12-minute walk to the HH. So our estimates and Google Maps are pretty close.

Let me know if you see anything weird, though. Happy to take a look.

Len
Thank you very much 😀

With that screen shot, we can see that Google Maps use a 18.5 min/mile walking speed conversion. Thank you for explaining how Touring Plans obtained the time estimate for walking from a room to the lobby. This really helps making decisions. Especially when looking at difference between room categories in resorts.

We had a room at the far end of Boardwalk Villas (the DVC side) and referred to the hallway as the one from The Shining (like when Danny is riding his bike in the hallways). It's not so much the length of walk, but there are no windows or lookouts to break up the view. It just feels like an unending hallway as you describe.

What we ended up doing was taking the side stairs near our room to get outside and then walk up the outside boardwalk, which is so much more of a pleasant walk. However we never tried to see if we could enter through those when returning at night, so we just walked the long hallway on the night returns.

Our room was on the resort side, above the old Boardwalk Bakery. It was rumored there was a stairwell nearby, but I think it led to a backstage area. Also, we were with someone in an ECV, so we had to walk allll the way to the elevator anyway.

Got our steps in before we even went to epcot. :rotfl:

I've joked that the other 'endless hallway' at Disney besides the one in Haunted Mansion was the one we had to walk to get to our room at Boardwalk. :faint:
When we stayed at the Boardwalk, we joked about how far it felt to get to our room too! We said it felt like it was got longer every night! Crazy!

The irony is, while people always seem to claim that the Boardwalk hallways are long, the distance from one end of Kidani to the other is greater than the distance from the farthest Boardwalk room and the Epcot entrance.

The irony is, while people always seem to claim that the Boardwalk hallways are long, the distance from one end of Kidani to the other is greater than the distance from the farthest Boardwalk room and the Epcot entrance.
When we stayed at Kidani our room was the very last room on the left of the hall and we commented on the distance every morning and every evening . I loved our stay there but I would NOT want to be in that room again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter