Walking Distance Hotel List w/ discussion & details of hotels

Thany you so much for all of the incredible information.

Just started looking to book a 6 night summer stay.

Family of 5, need a suite (with separate room).

Really want to be within walking distance...kids are 3, 6 and 8. I will have a stroller for the 3 year old.

Biggest concern is safety when walking. Clean hotel...cost is not so much of an issue (under 200.00/night) We will have a rental car for a trip into LA and continuing our trip to San Diego.

Kind of a hotel snob....sorry.

I have the portofino inn and suites booked.

Are there better options?

Thanks in advance.

I'd look into the Desert Palms-- while I've never stayed there, it generally gets very positive reviews and has free breakfast & parking. It's supposed to be one of the nicer suite options within walking distance, and you don't have to cross any streets to get to the gates.

Here is the review I just posted on TripAdvisor about the Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites:

"We stayed here for 3 nights in March for a family vacation to Disneyland. At the last minute (less than a week before) we upgraded to the "Deluxe" 2-queen room (instead of the standard). For $20 more a night we got upgraded bedding, more space, and a desk, etc. We were in the "700" building towards the very back and had no trouble with noise (other than some thumping around Saturday morning above us, after about 8 am. Not a big deal) or anything else. Noticed some variation in the hot water, but also not a big deal, and it never went to scalding or cold. Just warm and hot. Everything seemed clean, the walk to the Parks was great. Lots of space. A little difficult that you couldn't turn on the bathroom light without turning on the dressing room light too. No problems whatsoever. Would stay here again."

I forgot to mention there that I called three different times with 3 questions and never had anything other than friendly, helpful service. The didn't care that we had 5 (though the booking was only for 4) since she was only 2, they didn't have any problems with us parking there for the day before we checked in (parking was $4 a day), and they were able to upgrade us to Deluxe and have a ground floor room for us (since I didn't want to deal with stairs with our double jogger). I did have a hard time finding an ice maker and had to go to another building for some reason. The pool looked great, but we didn't get to try it. We also didn't try the restaurant. That's all!

Here is the review I just posted on TripAdvisor about the Anaheim Plaza Hotel & Suites:

"We stayed here for 3 nights in March for a family vacation to Disneyland. At the last minute (less than a week before) we upgraded to the "Deluxe" 2-queen room (instead of the standard). For $20 more a night we got upgraded bedding, more space, and a desk, etc. We were in the "700" building towards the very back try it.

Question about the 700 building. If I'm looking at a wikimapia or google sat view, is that the L shaped bldg in the lower right/southeastern corner of the property or which building is it?

Anyone stay at the Best Western Plus Pavilions on Katella? Looks a little far to walk, but I'm willing to try it =)

Just got in from a stay at Best Western Stovall Inn on Katella. Great hotel!! We got a killer deal ($102 after taxes & parking; thats almost unheard of in July!) Beautiful, comfortable, modern rooms (with teeny tiny beds, the only downside), impressive continental breakfast, reasonable room service from the restaurant next door, and according to mapmyrun.com, exactly that same walking distance as our usual hotel, the Castle Inn. We cut through the Grand Californian, which is an added perk as far as Im concerned. It seems like Castle Inn is a slightly better deal, and I love the ambiance there, but Stovall Inn is an excellent second choice for us! Highly recommend.

As anyone been to castle inn to see and try the remodeled rooms? I know the walk is on the "longer" side just trying to find a mini affordable trip. We have stayed at Park Vue, Best Western Park Place, Tropicana, and Carousel. So using those for reference.

I just got back Sunday. We were there Sat 7/27 to 8/3 (but took Red Eye flight and got home Sunday 8/4). We took Disneyland Resort Express Bus to/from hotel and didn't rent a car. We stayed one night at the Disneyland Hotel to take advantage of swimming area and early entry to California Adventure. We thought it was a long walk to the main security entrance when we walked thru Downtown Disney. it was me, dh, dd9 and dd13.

The next day we switched to Desert Palms. We stayed in the Sahara Suite which was a room (with doors that fully closed) with two queen beds, a living room with a full size sofa bed, and a kitchen with full size fridge, oven, stove top, microwave, sink, dishes, pans etc. We had Vons food delivered and it was all put away waiting in the room. The room was clean. My pet peeve is booking a hotel room for 4 and only getting towels for 2 to 3 people. We had towels for 6. We got a towel animal a few days.

The hotel breakfast had scrambled eggs, toast, make your own waffles, oatmeal, two flavors of cold cereal, some fruit, and a few things that varied each day like potatoes, sausage, Danish, muffins etc. We never had problems getting a table. The pool was a basic hotel pool but my kids enjoyed it and the hot tub was your basic hot tub - good enough for us. Food was replenished regularly.

I wanted to print something out and at Disneyland hotel they wanted to charge for internet time and $1.00 per page to print. At Desert Palms they had free use of a computer with internet and printing. There was free water in the lobby all day. They also had a small kids registration area where the girls were given tattoos and small erasers. After check out they will let you use the pool until you leave that day but we didn't use it. We never heard any street noise from our room. We did hear the fireworks but they are not visible from the hotel.

In terms of distance it says 1/2 mile. Other than crossing the bus driveway at Disney drive there are no streets to cross and the entire way was lit at night. I only walked twice once with dd13 and once with dd9 - both times after a full park day. It took about 10 minutes. The hotel is next door to 7-11 on Katella Ave which is at the corner of Katella and Harbor. The ART 9 stops in front of 7-11 or you can cross over to Harbor and take any bus that stops - the next stop is Disney. Door to Door never took us over 15 minutes in either direction (from Disney bus stop to/from Hotel Lobby). Across the street on Harbor is a Subway, pizza place, burger place, Mexican Food place, etc. ABC Market is next to 7-11.

We would not hesitate to stay at Desert Palms again.

We like to have bunk beds for our kids, it is seriously the reason we chose PVI last July, anyone know of any other hotels that have them... I know a few (HOJOs included I believe) have them if you upgrade to a suite, which we would prefer not to do unless they are comparable price wise.

Thanks all!

Does anyone know if the Fairfield will let you park early (like 7:30AM) on the first day of your stay? Would rather park there, go to the park for the day, and then just walk back in the evening to officially check in than have to move a car.

Thanks!

We like to have bunk beds for our kids, it is seriously the reason we chose PVI last July, anyone know of any other hotels that have them... I know a few (HOJOs included I believe) have them if you upgrade to a suite, which we would prefer not to do unless they are comparable price wise.

Thanks all!

If you check out the link below over on the left side you will see "kid suites". This will show you some hotels that have bunk beds.

http://www.accommodationsneardisney.com/Disneyland/default.asp

Thanks all!

Del Sol has bunk beds. They are regular twins, but there is a board at the top and bottom, so if you are taller than, say, 5'3" you will be a tight fit.

Two of my kids are taller than me now, so we have to find a room with more than 2 doubles/queens, or start getting two rooms for the 5 of us.

Does anyone know if castle inn and suites is done with their renovations? We booked there for early Dec. and I've read the newly remodeled rooms are amazing! Do you need to pay extra for one? Tanks!

julieheyer said:
Does anyone know if castle inn and suites is done with their renovations? We booked there for early Dec. and I've read the newly remodeled rooms are amazing! Do you need to pay extra for one? Tanks!

We stayed at the Castle Inn last night. We found ourselves in Anaheim late last night and rather than battle traffic we decided to stay. We called all of our regular Harbor Blvd. choices and everything was booked. Castle Inn had a room! But I was nervous. Why are they the only room left at 8:30 on a Saturday night?!?! We went ahead with the room anyways and boy was I glad! We got the family suite. I was nervous about the cheesy exterior but the room was gorgeous! Newly renovated, spotless and nicely decorated. The suit had three queen beds and a bathroom. I did not see any construction going on, but we spent less than 12 hours at the hotel so its hard to say for sure. I am not sure about the rates for a new room. We paid $179, which I think is a great value for the space and the location. Especially considering it was a very last minute reservation during a busy weekend. We will absolutely stay here again!

We stayed at BW Stovalls over Labor Day weekend and for the remainder of the week afterward. It was a perfect location. Rooms were a good size. Mini-fridge and Microwave in each room. 2 Pools and 2 hot tubs & bathroom/shower in the pool area. Walking distance to DLR through the Grand Californian or you can take the ART shuttle which stops out front. CoCo's and Tiffy's Restaurants next door. A little convenience mart right up the street. Free breakfast everyday. It was quiet even though it was a busy weekend w/ the 1/2 marathon going on. Staff was friendly. Rooms were clean and housekeeping was there everyday after we returned, we always had a clean room and fresh towels.

Our rate was a AAA rate for 7 nights of $723.53. I assume the Labor Day weekend rate was higher then the rest of the week.

I would stay here again if we come back to the Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter