• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Walking/Jogging from OKW to SSR & DTD?

nhdisnut

My screen name says it all!!
We are staying at OKW for the first time in August. I'm wondering if there is a path from OKW to SSR/DTD that we can walk/jog? I thought I remembered something about that, but am not sure....

Thanks!:goodvibes

The OKW end of the path starts in the cul-de-sac near bldg 55. The path parallels the waterway, and is a little less than a mile.

Back behind the South Point stop, you can hit a path that winds back to SSR. It's a really nice path and I've jogged there many times. Pretty view of the golf course, too.

I walked it several times last summer. Very nice. However, I couldn't manage to make my why over to SSR. I was afraid to cross the bridge that says no pedestrians, golf carts only!!! The first day I walked I saw a CM talking to some pedestrians about not doing that so I was chicken the rest of the time.

I ended up in the parking lot of DTD and then just turned around. Is there a way to make a loop???? I will be walking that route around 8 AM in August if anyone cares to join DH and I!!!

This is Caskill Bill's post on the subject when he measured it. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39529

You can also see it on Google Pedometer here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=799581

(The satellite imagery of SSR is pre-construction when it was plain Disney Institute, so the paths are guestimates.) Total loop length is 3 miles.

As far as golf cart vs. pedestrians, the trick seems to be when you hit the bridge out of OKW. Golf carts to the right and pedestrians to the left. I believe Disney tells folks they can use the path across the bridge to West Side. Perhaps they were just warning pedestrians not to stand and dawdle on the bridge because it is a through-path for golf carts. Golfers tend to hate having to slow down and maneuver around foot traffic. That said, I've been known to take a few golf cart paths myself with my powerchair and damn the consequences. I've only been glared at once or twice. Usually I just pull to the side and give the cart the right of way and all is happy.

I've walk the entire circle, including crossing the bridge to SSR. How else are you supposed to get there (coming from OKW). No one can possibly expect you to walk all the way around through DTD and back to SSR.

Never have a problem with the walk. I start at OKW, walk along the canal, cross the bridge to SSR, and then come back via DTD, through the West Side and then along the canal again, back to OKW.

It's a lovely walk.

So I guess I will be adventurous and walk across the bridge this summer!! LOL!!! If I get yelled at, I will tell them you all told me I could!! LOL!!

It is a nice walk in the morning in the summer!!!!

So I guess I will be adventurous and walk across the bridge this summer!! LOL!!! If I get yelled at, I will tell them you all told me I could!! LOL!!

It is a nice walk in the morning in the summer!!!!

We have crossed that bridge many times from both OKW and SSR. You will not get yelled at, the CM's at SSR recommend using the path. I don't remember any signs saying golf carts only.

As I recall, the path from the clubhouse at SSR to the bridge has a white line painted that I understand separates walkers from golf carts. It's not exactly down the middle, but wider on one side than on the other. The line continues on across the bridge, but is down the middle there, if I recall correctly.

As I recall, the path from the clubhouse at SSR to the bridge has a white line painted that I understand separates walkers from golf carts. It's not exactly down the middle, but wider on one side than on the other. The line continues on across the bridge, but is down the middle there, if I recall correctly.

If I remember right, there are TWO bridges. There is one bridge that goes over into the Treehouse Villas area that is only to be crossed by golf carts used by CM's/Housekeeping Staff but does have a path that continues on to SSR. For security purposes, they really don't want anyone crossing over that on foot as I recall. The other bridge is up by the clubhouse and is, as I recall, as Caskbill described.

If I remember right, there are TWO bridges. There is one bridge that goes over into the Treehouse Villas area that is only to be crossed by golf carts used by CM's/Housekeeping Staff but does have a path that continues on to SSR. For security purposes, they really don't want anyone crossing over that on foot as I recall. The other bridge is up by the clubhouse and is, as I recall, as Caskbill described.

Yeah there are but not in the location one might think. One bridge comes over the canal to SSR behind the Carriage House. The other is on the walking path from OKW and crosses the canal at a different point. It'll take you in the opposite direction so you can thank the CMs for yelling at you.

::has visions of frenzied housekeeper driving her cart at breakneck speeds and shouting "Wrong way, wrong way"::

I guess the lesson here is when walking from OKW to SSR, take the second bridge along the golf course path, not the first. Course me? I'd probably end up taking the golf cart path at the very beginning of the route by mistake.

Side question: Are there aligators in those canals? The golf cart/woodsy part looks a might lonesome to me. I'd hate to have to outrace a gator or end up lost to the canal for an early morning snack.

Never done it myself, but was wondering how this walk is at night?? Such as maybe walking back from an evening at DD.
Well lighted, etc??

Never done it myself, but was wondering how this walk is at night?? Such as maybe walking back from an evening at DD.
Well lighted, etc??

I wouldn't walk it at night. I don't remember seeing much lighting. I think the path might even be closed at dusk.

I posted a photo walk from the Hospitality House to the DD area, and then around DD back to Saratoga.

The path from the Hospitality House to the junction near SS/DD and is the end of the OKW path (which starts near building 55) took me about 20 minutes walking. Then I went through the West Side, around PI (it wasn't open yet), through the Marketplace, around towards SS and back to the spot I started from. That took about 36 minutes. That is going about 3 mph.

There is plenty of exercise/walking/running to be had betweek OKW, SS and DD. More than I even realized until recently (I didn't know about the OKW path until the last few months, and it ties everything together). I'd always walked to SS the long way - which is fine, I prefer more walking to less!

I've had a 'gator trapper tell me if it's a body of water, and it's in Florida, it has 'gators in it.

I've walked along there after dark. Not a problem. Bring a torch. I didn't use mine, but having it was ok.

The walkway is smooth concrete now (anyone remember the old construction path days?) and a very easy walk.

The Treehouse Villas bridge is secured from the Walkway side. you'd have to break the chain, or go over the gate. No reason to what so ever. Continue on and use the bridge that brings you to SSR.

Gators are generally not aggressive - you'd not want to be in the water with one, because they can pull you under. But deaths by gator are really rare, I know we had a big year last year (or 2005) with a few deaths in Florida.

For as much as I've walked on Disney property, I've only seen a few. The two areas I remember seeing them are at the Polynesian and at the Beach Club. I have even walked around FW in the early mornings and dusk many, many times - when you'd expect to see them around the water areas, and I didn't. I have seen them elsewhere (like at regular parks in Florida) much more. It isn't really a big deal to see them, I just wouldn't want to be in the water with one. They tend to just sit and sun themselves much of the time.

We did see them on the Lake Buena Vista golf course near DD, so they are there.

We did see them on the Lake Buena Vista golf course near DD, so they are there.

They definitely can be anywhere - this is Florida. But I've walked easily 2000 - 3000+ miles around property over the last few years - and have seen 2 gators, not sure if a 3rd was a repeat of the 1st Polynesian gator. That one was in the canal area in front of the Polynesian. The other one was at the Beach Club, in the front (where the canal/lake is). I am very suprised I've not seen more. We once had one in front of an apartment complex we were living at.

Just an aside for anyone who likes wildlife - there are also otters at Disney. I've only seen one once.

I have also seen the gator at BCV's and one at CSR. I also saw an otter at SSR this past December. Love the wildlife at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter