Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Long post that some might find informative. For anyone else - humor me. I recently booked our rooms for July 2020 and I'm kind of psyched already.

I requested the same type of rooms we had in 2018 at the Dolphin - which were as follows:

Two rooms booked under one reservation number that are not connecting, but across the hall from each other. At at the very end of the hall (in the "triangle" section) - there is a third door that seals the two rooms off from the rest of the hall - and one key card opens all three doors. Plus closing that door creates a sort of private area where things like a stroller etc can be stored.

We had two sets of these - one on one end of the floor and the other on the other.

We had a view of Epcot from one room and the Studios on the other. And in the distance we could see MK.

What are these rooms called? I have no real idea. Last year we requested 4 rooms at the Swan and the reservationist suggested this at the Dolphin - she called it an Alcove Suite. But that term applies to other configurations as well I understand. There is NOTHING on the website pictures and diagrams that mention this - presumably because it comprises two separate (non connecting) rooms.

We found this set up so perfect that I called for 2020 just 3 or 4 days after the first time we could (350 days in advance - different than for Disney properties.) I mentioned the specific room numbers we had last year in the hopes of getting them - but if not, the very same set up on another floor. I was told we could not get the very same rooms (all it would take is one of them being booked already for just one of our 6 night stay to make it impossible) but I was told they'd put us on a floor close to that.

Annoying to me to say the least that there is still no specific term used for this that would not potentially apply to some other set up. And the reservation confirmation actually made me question if I was getting what I requested (and paid for in my deposits). A call back verified that it's what I wanted since the reservationist it described it the way I expected.

A couple points - the reservation confirmation last time actually was much better in that it explicitly said each reservation number had two rooms. Not this time - and I suspect it's the result of the Marriott takeover (last year it was not completed). In fact the two confirmations themselves each were different from each other.

But the price indicates it's more than one room each - because with taxes and resort fee (with a senior discount) it's just under $600 a night. I was told it was essentially a certain price for the larger of the two rooms and then $200 for the smaller

The rooms were configured as the larger having two twin beds and a pullout couch. Very roomy.

The one across from it had a King bed. A smaller room but still quite comfortable.

The drawback of the Dolphin to me is the convention crowd. More so than at the Swan. And it's true there are few quick meal options. But the view and price and family experience made this set up better overall.

And the pool area is second to none in my opinion of any comparably priced Disney resort. (Y/B still the best I would suppose - but four rooms there would be hundreds more each night compared to what we're getting.

Even the Unofficial Guide seems to lack complete information on the Dolphin. They don't mention the rooms in the "triangle" at all.
One last note for anyone curious - we were on the 18th floor. I'm not sure what floors constitute the triangle - but we were clearly higher than the various wings or arms that most people refer to when describing their Dolphin rooms. We could see the huge "water buckets" that sit above the "arms" that come out. And the clamshell "waterfall" (The inside of them btw aer very grimy looking)

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions since it'll be our first time staying at the Swolphin tomorrow.

1. Do they have celebration buttons at the front desk?

2. Is there a resort specific pin for the Swolphin resorts? We normally try to get a new pin every time we stay at a new resort.

@Haley R I'm 99% sure that you can not get the celebration button at S/D, keep in mind that they are not Disney owned hotels. So you will not get extras like Magic Bands, Magical Express, and things like the Celebration Button. You can get them in the parks and you could drop into Boardwalk or YC/BC too.

I don't recall about the pins, but they did have them in the past. This question came up here: S/D Pins there are also some up on eBay, and as attached they did have a WDW backing.
s-l1600.jpg

@Haley R I'm 99% sure that you can not get the celebration button at S/D, keep in mind that they are not Disney owned hotels. So you will not get extras like Magic Bands, Magical Express, and things like the Celebration Button. You can get them in the parks and you could drop into Boardwalk or YC/BC too.

I don't recall about the pins, but they did have them in the past. This question came up here: S/D Pins there are also some up on eBay, and as attached they did have a WDW backing.
View attachment 426132
We have APs and are driving about an hour to get to WDW so we don't need MBs or DME. I either just won't wear a celebration button or I'll get one the night before at a different hotel.

Those pins are pretty cool! I'll look at the Dolphin and if they don't have any I may buy one on Ebay. Thanks for your answers!

And the pool area is second to none in my opinion of any comparably priced Disney resort. (Y/B still the best I would suppose - but four rooms there would be hundreds more each night compared to what we're getting.
I agree very very underrated.

One last note for anyone curious - we were on the 18th floor. I'm not sure what floors constitute the triangle - but we were clearly higher than the various wings or arms that most people refer to when describing their Dolphin rooms. We could see the huge "water buckets" that sit above the "arms" that come out. And the clamshell "waterfall" (The inside of them btw aer very grimy looking)
I have stayed in the 'main triangle' many times and yes some of the water buckets can look a bit gross however, considering it rains daily there, the heat and humility, etc. I don't think there is really much they can do. I would rather have them to look at from the ground than not at all.

I celebrated my birthday at the Swolphin a few years ago and they had their own birthday button. I’m not sure about other designs. They also left balloons in my room and gave me a coupon for free ice cream at the fountain!
That sounds like a good birthday!
we got official disney world first time visit badges for our kids in the gift shop in dolphin
Thanks I’ll look there

@Dave - I am on their website and selected 1 room and 2 adults and 2 kids and on the checkout page under summary I am seeing extra person fees of $250.
Not sure how I can get that removed. I played around and if I do 2 adults and 1 kid, it doesn't show up. Not sure how to proceed.
Any ideas?

Hi we recently returned from a Swan stay in a king balcony room 5002. Booked a king and paid to upgrade at check in to a king balcony. First stay since Marriott vs Starwood but have stayed plenty when the Swan was Starwood.

Just a comment - our king bed was not a true king bed a see have always had on prior Starwood stays. It was smaller and based on my measurement and google it was an Olympic or Super queen. It was kind of disappointing and very noticeable. I think I remember 8 inches smaller and seemed shorter also. But I used the measuring app on my cell so not exact measurement but it was definitely smaller than any king I have ever had. The bedding has also changed. I actually had a rough time sleeping. Always slept great on the Westin beds/ bedding. We have stayed at many Marriotts over the past few years and always had actual true king beds so not sure why this one wasn’t :/. Anyone else notice this at the Swan?

Love the Swan but I love my sleep too 😂

Last edited:
@thor369 I would call direct, 407.934.4000 and ask for in-house reservations. You can probably get help through the toll free number as well, 888.828.8850, but I think in-house knows more about the in's and out's of S/D.

@Dave - I am on their website and selected 1 room and 2 adults and 2 kids and on the checkout page under summary I am seeing extra person fees of $250.
Not sure how I can get that removed. I played around and if I do 2 adults and 1 kid, it doesn't show up. Not sure how to proceed.
Any ideas?

I had the same issue. I spoke with someone there directly, and they told me that it is the default for a reservation, and for whatever reason they cannot change how it appears on your screen. But i was guaranteed that i would not be charged that amount as long as i didnt exceed the 4 person capacity. I will be there Aug 20-25, so i can confirm after if that is the case. It it isn't the case, then they are gonna have one helluva problem with me.

I think there are reservation "quirks" since they completed the transition to Marriott. (Referring to thor369 and the mystery extra person fee.

As I mention in my (too long to read) post above, last week I reserved (for 2020) the exact same set up we had in 2018. The reservation confirmations from the 2018 stay were very detailed and accurately described that this one reservation actually comprised two separate rooms. With one room costing the full amount and the other room $0.

The reservation confirmation I got this time describes it as one room only - so I called to be sure they didn't' mess up somehow. The person on the phone described the set up as I expected - and essentially said the reservation confirmation was garbage. (OK - he didn't say 'garbage' but I got the impression they get calls based on their inaccuracies from time to time.)

What makes the most sense for Swan/dolphin... booking a car that will stop at like a target on the way there or ordering amazon prime for delivery? (for things like diapers, formula, etc)?

TeamSy -
Not sure about your question (car rental is expensive given the nightly parking fee) -

But what I really want to know is where can we get a picture of all the Aladdin characters together? The Dessert party?

What makes the most sense for Swan/dolphin... booking a car that will stop at like a target on the way there or ordering amazon prime for delivery? (for things like diapers, formula, etc)?
Here are a couple options. I think PrimeNow is your best choice, I used it worked great. Met the driver and unloaded into an empty suitcase at 8AM and we went off to breakfast after that. Option 2, Uber/Lyft to S/D, then Uber/Lyft to grocery store. Personally if I did need the car for anything but some snacks I'd do PrimeNow.

TeamSy -
Not sure about your question (car rental is expensive given the nightly parking fee) -

But what I really want to know is where can we get a picture of all the Aladdin characters together? The Dessert party?
You could use National or Alamo and turn the car in at the Dolphin, avoiding a parking fee.

I think TeamSy means a limo company for transfers. Even when we stay at Disney, we have a service (not Mears) transfer us from airport to hotel with a grocery stop. It may not be the least expensive way, but worth it to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter