Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Did you miss the opening of the new Pixar Play Zone at the Contemporary, Friday April 13?

Kids ages 4–12 will be able to star in an adventure-packed evening, including interactive fun, arcade games and dinner as Pixar Play Zone opens at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The pilot program will take place nightly, from 6-10:30 p.m. and will transport young guests to a world full of excitement and adventure with their favorite characters from Disney•Pixar films “Toy Story” and “The Incredibles!”

ETA: Add location: 4th floor of the Contemporary in the space previously occupied by the arcade. Some arcade games are still available as part of the Pixar Play Zone.

source: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/04/pixar-play-zone-opens-at-disneys-contemporary-resort/

Dave

Last edited:
We're staying at the Dolphin for the first time (stayed at the Swan 3 times). We're in a combination room of some sort - I think it's essentially a studio suite with a connecting regular room. There is a name for it that escapes me - but the reservation doesn't describe it that way.

Has anyone stayed in this configuration? I wonder if they have varying views - if they are only certain floors etc. Didn't get much information from the reservationists I've spoken to - though I was VERY happy it was pointed out to us when we reserved last year (cheaper than 2 rooms and a LOT of space.)

We're staying at the Dolphin for the first time (stayed at the Swan 3 times). We're in a combination room of some sort - I think it's essentially a studio suite with a connecting regular room. There is a name for it that escapes me - but the reservation doesn't describe it that way.

Has anyone stayed in this configuration? I wonder if they have varying views - if they are only certain floors etc. Didn't get much information from the reservationists I've spoken to - though I was VERY happy it was pointed out to us when we reserved last year (cheaper than 2 rooms and a LOT of space.)

I know executive suites are that way. At least in our case the suite portion was located in a corner and had 2 rooms, 1 on different wings/corridors. In both of or stays I stayed in the suite portion, which at that time had a bed in it, and my brothers family stayed in one of the rooms. Sadly I believe the suites got rid of the Murphy bed, which were actually just king beds in our case, and just have a pull out sofa bed now. That’s to bad, because the executive suites worked perfectly for us to hang out in the suite while my (then young) nieces took an afternoon nap or went to bad at night.

Here's a link showing the view of our room from our trip in 2011.
View from our room

Our second stay in 2013, we had a wonderful view of the Dolphin play/beach/pool area and could see Tower of a Terror! First one was taken from standard room and the second and third were taken from the suite.

Last edited:

Any further update on the boat to Hollywood Studios?
Here is the latest public information:

Beginning June 4, 2018 until approximately June 23, 2018 Disney's Friendship Boat service is only available to Epcot, Disney's Boardwalk, and Disney's Yacht & Beach Club resorts. Bus service will be provided to Disney's Hollywood Studios during this time.

Dave

Here is the latest public information:

Beginning June 4, 2018 until approximately June 23, 2018 Disney's Friendship Boat service is only available to Epcot, Disney's Boardwalk, and Disney's Yacht & Beach Club resorts. Bus service will be provided to Disney's Hollywood Studios during this time.

Dave
For what it is worth...they were late in completing the dock work that re-opened boat service to EC, BWI, BC/YC. I am going to 'guess' based on weather that they won't be done until the end of June.

I know executive suites are that way.

Yes - that's what they called in over the phone. Thanks!

I can't view the pictures on my work computer but I will when I get a chance.

The sofa bed works out OK for us but I can see where the Murphy bed would be better for most. Turns out there will only be three adults in our rooms - and the other will have three adults and two small children.

Did you miss the opening of the new Pixar Play Zone at the Contemporary, Friday April 13?

Kids ages 4–12 will be able to star in an adventure-packed evening, including interactive fun, arcade games and dinner as Pixar Play Zone opens at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. The pilot program will take place nightly, from 6-10:30 p.m. and will transport young guests to a world full of excitement and adventure with their favorite characters from Disney•Pixar films “Toy Story” and “The Incredibles!”

ETA: Add location: 4th floor of the Contemporary in the space previously occupied by the arcade. Some arcade games are still available as part of the Pixar Play Zone.

source: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/04/pixar-play-zone-opens-at-disneys-contemporary-resort/

Dave
DO you prepay for this, would like to enroll my grandson but this is his first trip and we need to make sure hes ok with the characters (his dad was scared when he was little) so it may not be worth pre paying if he ends up not being able to go bc he is scared

DO you prepay for this, would like to enroll my grandson but this is his first trip and we need to make sure hes ok with the characters (his dad was scared when he was little) so it may not be worth pre paying if he ends up not being able to go bc he is scared
These may be a bit helpful.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...xar-play-zone-at-disneys-contemporary-resort/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/report-on-pixar-play-zone-at-contemporary-5-12-18.3677020/

I will be doing a split stay at the end of the month Dolphin and BLT. Does anyone have any recent experience in trying to transfer with luggage from the Swan/Dolphin to a Disney resort?

I will be doing a split stay at the end of the month Dolphin and BLT. Does anyone have any recent experience in trying to transfer with luggage from the Swan/Dolphin to a Disney resort?
Well, they do transfer, either way, and I have never heard of a problem.

Well, they do transfer, either way, and I have never heard of a problem.

Can vouch! We transferred from Swan to AKL in November. Luggage transferred without a hitch.

Does anyone know if the pools are heated more than Disney's pools? I'm currently booked at POFQ but have been leaning towards changing to the Dolphin for a trip in December. POFQ has the boat to Disney Springs but Dolphin is sooooo close to Epcot! If the pool is warm I'd consider changing, since I think Disney's pools are too cold for swimming in the winter months. :D Any opinions on the hot tub(s) would be appreciated too.

We'll be staying on points this fall, and DH is platinum. He won't be coming with us, and Im hoping we'll still get his perks since it's on his account. Does anyone know how that works?

And if we do get his perks, what are they at the Swolfin? Usually, it's a breakfast of some sort, but I'm wondering how the Swolfin handles that, as there are multiple restaurants onsite or is there a lounge or something?

We'll be staying on points this fall, and DH is platinum. He won't be coming with us, and Im hoping we'll still get his perks since it's on his account. Does anyone know how that works?

And if we do get his perks, what are they at the Swolfin? Usually, it's a breakfast of some sort, but I'm wondering how the Swolfin handles that, as there are multiple restaurants onsite or is there a lounge or something?

Technically, if he is not staying per T&C’s you do not receive elite benefits. In practice YMMV. For platinum, we received a $5 discount on the resort fee and the cold buffet items at Garden Grove. Since Marriott merger they no longer waive the resort fee and it is harder to get suite upgrades without using using suite night awards.

I know executive suites are that way. At least in our case the suite portion was located in a corner and had 2 rooms, 1 on different wings/corridors. In both of or stays I stayed in the suite portion, which at that time had a bed in it, and my brothers family stayed in one of the rooms. Sadly I believe the suites got rid of the Murphy bed, which were actually just king beds in our case, and just have a pull out sofa bed now. That’s to bad, because the executive suites worked perfectly for us to hang out in the suite while my (then young) nieces took an afternoon nap or went to bad at night.

Here's a link showing the view of our room from our trip in 2011.
View from our room

Our second stay in 2013, we had a wonderful view of the Dolphin play/beach/pool area and could see Tower of a Terror! First one was taken from standard room and the second and third were taken from the suite.

I took a look at your pictures from your 2011 stay and it sounds like a deluxe alcove room. It's nice to see the pictures because the rep on the phone didn't did s great job of explaining it.

Anyways, I'm torn between staying at the dolphin for my family of 5 or going somewhere else. The rep quoted me a price of 538/nt for that room (I asked about the suite in case my mom and brother wanted to stay with us) for early May . Does that sound about right ? Are discounts common for that room type where I could get a cheaper price at some point?

Thanks

There have always been discounts, which you can find either on sheraton.com, starwood.com, or spg.com. There are discounts for AAA members, SPG members, seniors, etc.; there is a 5% discount for those who have Disney Annual Passes. There have also been discounts for teachers, nurses, etc., which can be quoted by in-house room reservations at the Dolphin. The AP rates must also be quoted by phone.

Since you arealmost a year out, things could change - especially with Marriott taking over. Of course, you can always book now and change or cancel, if something better is available.

There have always been discounts, which you can find either on sheraton.com, starwood.com, or spg.com. There are discounts for AAA members, SPG members, seniors, etc.; there is a 5% discount for those who have Disney Annual Passes. There have also been discounts for teachers, nurses, etc., which can be quoted by in-house room reservations at the Dolphin. The AP rates must also be quoted by phone.

Since you arealmost a year out, things could change - especially with Marriott taking over. Of course, you can always book now and change or cancel, if something better is available.

I didn’t realize I could get a discount with my AP. Would you happen to know if I Could use my AP discount on top of my spg member rate?

I took a look at your pictures from your 2011 stay and it sounds like a deluxe alcove room. It's nice to see the pictures because the rep on the phone didn't did s great job of explaining it.

Anyways, I'm torn between staying at the dolphin for my family of 5 or going somewhere else. The rep quoted me a price of 538/nt for that room (I asked about the suite in case my mom and brother wanted to stay with us) for early May . Does that sound about right ? Are discounts common for that room type where I could get a cheaper price at some point?

Thanks

Very well could have been, but we did book an Executive Suite. Both our stays, 2011 and 2013, were Executive Suites but the Suites and rooms were completely different. The “regular” room was a handicap accessible room which worked incredibly because we had a crib which fit perfectly in the kitchenette area.

We were also a family of 5, well my brothers family and me the 5th wheel lol. It really depends on the ages of your group? If everyone’s old enough, you can get 2 rooms and ask for connecting or adjoining rooms, but just be aware that while Disney is very accommodating, they can not guarantee them. That was a deal breaker for us, with 2 young children in 2011, and they reason we chose the S&D. We would have stayed for a third time when we went last summer, but with renovations going on we couldn’t get an Executive Suite for our entire stay. Ended up with connecting rooms at the POP Century and had a great time, but missed the S&D suites and location.

Like the previous poster stayed, they have a variety of discounts and you can always change your mind, cancel or book elsewhere. As far as price, honestly they are all over the map. If you can get a price that you can live with, I’d book it and keep call every week or so to see if you can get a better price. That’s what we ended up doing. I believe our initial booking price was $379, slightly cheaper than 2 moderate rooms. We changed it a few times and finally got it for $309 which was a real steal! Also keep in mind that there is also a daily resort fee, but we only got charged for the one room.

Anyways, I hope this helps and have a great trip with whatever you end up staying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter