Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

I have been in a constant state of complaining about Bonvoy since it's inception. Not surprising that there is another devaluation coming. However, as rates at Disney deluxe resorts keep increasing, Bonvoy is still a MUCH cheaper way to stay on property, and will continue to be so for some time.
Points or cash S/D prices beat the Disney deluxe by a huge margin, unless they are near capacity and rates are high. But if you have the points its a wonderful deal, Disney doesn't give you accept any points so abiity to stay on points is amazing. Back when it was an SPG property the points values and arrangement with Amex made it an amazing deal. After the merger so much was lost, still a good deal but not as great.

Is it? From my pricing, this is true during non-peak times. Looks like that will be the case even more with Bonvoy's new "flexible points" concept.
You bet, can't beat not paying for a night or a week if you are staying on Bonvoy points. But even not on points its almost always a better deal compared to deluxe rates at Disney hotels.

@AUT1GER book as soon as you can. S/D uses dynamic pricing so as the hotel fills, rates go up. As long as you don't book a prepaid reservation you have the ability to call and rebook at a lower rate, should it happen. Just pay close attention to what you book so you understand refund options before you hit submit. If you are a AAA member you'll find those rates are usually the best bet. If you scroll back over the past month or two there have been several discussions about cancelling and rebooking for lower rates.

Thanks! I really appreciate the tip! I will go ahead and book and watch the rates.

Newbie question - How far out should I book my room? We are thinking about a March trip. Should I book now, or will the rates go down as we get closer to the date?

Book Now... if rates go down, you can change your reservation. But I suspect you won't see rates go down as more and more people are opting to Vacation and March is a peak time with a number of events scheduled and Spring Break.

In the past I have Booked S/D using Hotwire Hot Rates, but haven't seen them using these with COVID.... but also never saw discounts in months like March. Sept, Nov, Jan, Aug - was usually when these showed up.

They do have Passholder and Florida Resident rates, or AAA. Passholder seems to be the best discount... if you are one.

Book Now... if rates go down, you can change your reservation. But I suspect you won't see rates go down as more and more people are opting to Vacation and March is a peak time with a number of events scheduled and Spring Break.

In the past I have Booked S/D using Hotwire Hot Rates, but haven't seen them using these with COVID.... but also never saw discounts in months like March. Sept, Nov, Jan, Aug - was usually when these showed up.

They do have Passholder and Florida Resident rates, or AAA. Passholder seems to be the best discount... if you are one.

No, I am not a Passholder. Do they actually check if you are though? I work for the government, and when I travel for work, I always book under the government rate, but I have never been asked to show my ID.

However, I am a rule follower, and if I did it and they didn't check, I think it would cause me to feel uneasy. I would have nightmares of the hotel staff dressed in swan and dolphin costumes throwing me and my family out for cheating....

No, I am not a Passholder. Do they actually check if you are though? I work for the government, and when I travel for work, I always book under the government rate, but I have never been asked to show my ID.

However, I am a rule follower, and if I did it and they didn't check, I think it would cause me to feel uneasy. I would have nightmares of the hotel staff dressed in swan and dolphin costumes throwing me and my family out for cheating....
They do check for proof when booked on special rates. You could also look at rates for federal employees. If you do not belong to AAA, it may be worth getting a one year membership. Many restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin offer discounts to AAA members, for additional savings.

They ALWAYS check (so does the JW Marriot Bonnet Creek).

Also, if you are over 62, the Senior rate is often more flexible than AP or Government Rates. I only book this when DH is traveling with me.

Also, check If your company has a corporate rate. Those are sometimes good and very flexible. As others have said, the AP rate is usually best, if available. Also, as said above, be prepared to present proof of eligibility for any special rate - they WILL ask for it at these properties (unlike others, where, it’s hit and miss).

Last edited:
Checked in the Dolphin yesterday. We managed to catch an earlier flight (gave us more hours on arrival day) and arrived at around 10:30am. I knew our standard, no view room would probably not be ready (it wasn’t), but they offered an upgrade to a resort view or balcony room that was ready now. I would typically never upgrade - room views are not really important to us - but the earlier flight had us departing out of Austin and not San Antonio, so we were up at 2am. It was worth the extra $$ to catch a nap before heading out to MK.

WOOHOO! Fellow San Antonian! We'll be at Dolphin starting on Thanksgiving.

I have 11/4 check in and haven't heard anything yet about being moved. Doesn't mean much but it is inside of 2 weeks so slightly hopeful
Just remember Marriott’s Ultimate Reservation Guarantee if things go sideways (only applies if you’re paying, I believe. If you’re on points, I don’t think you’re getting money. I could be wrong).

I agree. At this point, we are effectively 1 week away. It’s always possible we could be moved all the way up to, and including day of check-in (for those arriving on the 4th), but it doesn’t feel too likely. More likely we will be among the first guests at a brand new hotel 😀
Sometimes, they have special swag for opening day guests. When the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas reflagged to a Waldorf Astoria, I checked in on “reflag night”. It was interesting because they had to keep the property running as a MO until the stroke of midnight, then suddenly “flip the switch” and become a WA. Guests who checked in on reflag night got gold-colored WA coins as commemorative souvenirs. I wonder if Mickey or anyone will stop by for the opening (yes, yes, yes I KNOW it’s not a Disney property, but it seems like a neighborly thing to do, to welcome a new friend to the neighborhood 😀)

Just remember Marriott’s Ultimate Reservation Guarantee if things go sideways (only applies if you’re paying, I believe. If you’re on points, I don’t think you’re getting money. I could be wrong).

From T&C (note the last sentence):
Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. To be eligible, Member's Loyalty Program Member Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee benefit/compensation to apply.

Can someone explain the ultimate reservation guarantee? Would they put you in a Disney owned hotel or only something within the Bonvoy group? I meet the guidelines for the guarantee program.

Can someone explain the ultimate reservation guarantee? Would they put you in a Disney owned hotel or only something within the Bonvoy group? I meet the guidelines for the guarantee program.
If the Reserve has not yet opened, the guarantee would not apply, per the noted terms and conditions. However, I can see no way that guests with confirmed reservations at the Reserve would not be moved to the Swan or Dolphin, even if the Reserve were not yet open/operational.

I really doubt that a guest at the Swan/Dolphin/Reserve would be moved to a Disney-owned resort, i.e. BWI, BC, YC, under an Ultimate Reservation Guarantee, especially if space were available at S/D/R.

They should put you up at the Swan or Dolphin, there is no chance (or at lease a very slim chance) they would put you up at a Disney hotel. I suppose it could be the JW Marriott but I doubt that as well since its own by a different group then the S/D.

They should put you up at the Swan or Dolphin, there is no chance (or at lease a very slim chance) they would put you up at a Disney hotel. I suppose it could be the JW Marriott but I doubt that as well since its own by a different group then the S/D.
That’s fine by me. As long as we have a room at the S/D and don’t have to sleep in the lobby!

I had a stay at the Swan Reserve booked for the Food and Wine Classic tomorrow night, but I also got the cancelation email. The reservation still shows up in my account. And in a cruel twist, my Suite Night Reward request was confirmed. We had been upgraded to a 1 bedroom king Hollywood Studios suite.

I had a stay at the Swan Reserve booked for the Food and Wine Classic tomorrow night, but I also got the cancelation email. The reservation still shows up in my account. And in a cruel twist, my Suite Night Reward request was confirmed. We had been upgraded to a 1 bedroom king Hollywood Studios suite.
When did you get the email? Where are they moving you to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter