Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

Did the car rental desk ever reopen?
It’s not listed on the National site either so that sounds like a no.

The car care center has a free shuttle you can call to reserve for a pickup or available on demand for returning you after dropping a car. It can take some time (not crazy, I think the longest I waited was less than 30 mins for a shuttle from the center when I dropped a car and other times I’ve walked on when I dropped, just depends on how many shuttles are available and if they’re currently out on runs) and you might be paired with another party going elsewhere on property (they’ve dropped me off & picked me up from both hotels and the theme parks so that’s nice). But, if you’re in a rush you might just want to rideshare.

Did the car rental desk ever reopen?
Just wanted to thank you for asking, because we had a car booked through National to be picked up at the Dolphin on the day after Thanksgiving, and I checked the reservation because of this post. It can't be located. We have rebooked to the Avis desk at the Hilton by Disney Springs. I wouldn't have checked it but for your post, so you likely saved me a giant headache on a holiday. Thank you!

Not always. I have a AAA rate ans the reserv. is refundable

And I have two existing reservations that both are refundable rates as well. I'm pretty sure the non-fundable is a newish policy, or a return to pre-COVID policies.

But for an idea, I looked at few days Sept 2023 at Dolphin

AAA Hot Deals - $245 Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking
AAA Rate - $272 Refundable if cancelled five days before arrival.
Member Rate - $248 Non-Refundable
Standard Rate - $257 Non-Refundable
No Standard or Member Refundable Rates offered
QWH Annual Pass - no availability
FR6 Florida Resident - no availability
Senior Discount - $243 Refundable if cancelled five days before arrival.
Government Rate - $272 Refundable if cancelled five days before arrival.

I think Sam's also is still doing non-refundable resv... In Feb, I inadvertently booked one for two of my traveling group, and tried to undo it within minutes... argued with everyone under the sun for about a week that I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to switch to a refundable resv just in case we did need to cancel months later, and got nowhere...there was still plenty of availability at that point, but they wouldn't budge.

So before you push that BOOK button... be sure it's what you want as there is NO grace period after you book. Life is uncertain, and who knows if what you plan to do almost a year from now will still be doable.

Luckily, it looks like my group will not need to cancel... and we are still planning to go.

And I have two existing reservations that both are refundable rates as well. I'm pretty sure the non-fundable is a newish policy, or a return to pre-COVID policies.

But for an idea, I looked at few days Sept 2023 at Dolphin

AAA Hot Deals - $245 Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking
AAA Rate - $272 Refundable if cancelled five days before arrival.
Member Rate - $248 Non-Refundable
Standard Rate - $257 Non-Refundable
No Standard or Member Refundable Rates offered
QWH Annual Pass - no availability
FR6 Florida Resident - no availability
Senior Discount - $243 Refundable if cancelled five days before arrival.
Government Rate - $272 Refundable if cancelled five days before arrival.
I see refundable AAA, member, and standard rates for Jan, May, and Sept 2023 at the Swan. I don't think it is a general policy toward non-refundable reservations. Then for fun I checked the Dolphin, for Sept 6-9. All 3 of those refundable rates available.

I see refundable AAA, member, and standard rates for Jan, May, and Sept 2023 at the Swan. I don't think it is a general policy toward non-refundable reservations. Then for fun I checked the Dolphin, for Sept 6-9. All 3 of those refundable rates available.
Yes I included the AAA refundable rates that I saw as well, they were among the highest rates offered... but yeah at least they were refundable.

Sorry but 100% it's a policy change over the last few years of COVID pricing where everything was refundable. If you want a refundable rate, you'll have to pay more to book it.

I do wonder if the refundable & non-refundable rates are somehow tied to the dynamic pricing that SDR is now using. The more it fills up the fewer options available type of thing. It seems inconsistent now, but my gut says it's all automated.

Sorry but 100% it's a policy change over the last few years of COVID pricing where everything was refundable. If you want a refundable rate, you'll have to pay more to book it.
It's a return to pre covid pricing models. Its an end to the COVID exceptions not really policy change.

Swan and Dolphin have offered non refundable rates for years.

Even PL let you cancel a winning NYOP bid if you promptly called. Not allowing a cancelation shortly after making a nonrefundable reservation, correct a booking mistake for example, isn't customer friendly. A policy which encourages regulations

Feb, I inadvertently booked one for two of my traveling group, and tried to undo it within minutes... argued with everyone under the sun for about a week that I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to switch to a refundable resv just in case we did need to cancel months later
The website clearly says the special rates are non changeable and are

Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

You aren't allowed to change the reservation. You can cancel and rebook within a day. Dynamic pricing might result in a dramatically higher rate.

I went through Sam's Club. Sam's club uses "Tickets at work" and they were immoveable on me rebooking this reservation to "refundable". I could not cancel or change... I called immediately within minutes (and for a week afterwards) and talked to Sam's Club, Dolphin front desk, Dolphin direct reservations, and the TaW people, and they would not change at all. The best they could offer is to maybe change the lead person to another guest, but still non-refundable.
The website clearly says the special rates are non changeable and are

Non-refundable if cancelled more than 1 day after booking

You aren't allowed to change the reservation. You can cancel and rebook within a day. Dynamic pricing might result in a dramatically higher rate.

I went through Sam's Club. Sam's club uses "Tickets at work" and they were immoveable on me rebooking this reservation to "refundable". I could not cancel or change... I called immediately within minutes (and for a week afterwards) and talked to Sam's Club, Dolphin front desk, Dolphin direct reservations, and the TaW people, and they would not change at all. The best they could offer is to maybe change the lead person to another guest, but still non-refundable.
That's one of the perils of using a third party OTA. You're sometimes paying fees, and subject to change/cancel provisions not applicable to direct bookings.

Assume you need an exception. First you need to motivate your OTA to even make the request. Book direct and can talk to a person who has the ability to work with you

I think Sam's also is still doing non-refundable resv... In Feb, I inadvertently booked one for two of my traveling group, and tried to undo it within minutes... argued with everyone under the sun for about a week that I didn't want to cancel, I wanted to switch to a refundable resv just in case we did need to cancel months later, and got nowhere...there was still plenty of availability at that point, but they wouldn't budge.

So before you push that BOOK button... be sure it's what you want as there is NO grace period after you book. Life is uncertain, and who knows if what you plan to do almost a year from now will still be doable.

Luckily, it looks like my group will not need to cancel... and we are still planning to go.
A tough for you but good reminder for us so thanks for sharing. Glad the trip is still on!

I have vague memories of someone coming in here a year or so ago when the non-refundable rates popped back up griping about how Swolphin refused them refunds so honestly I think that ship sailed the moment you clicked book, don’t think you could have begged the President of Marriott to get out of it.

Covid has made me much more lax in travel booking procedures than I was pre-Covid. I used to always triple check refundable status of my bookings before I made them. About 6 months ago I came *this* close to booking a AAA rate directly via Marriott for like a Fairfield Inn I was 75% sure I wouldn’t even need before I caught the non-refundable language. That hotel had other AAA type rates that were higher but refundable- but the offering of those might be up to the property.

I gotta re-up my travel booking attention to details to the reality of today. All is fair in love, war and hotel bookings apparently!

That's one of the perils of using a third party OTA. You're sometimes paying fees, and subject to change/cancel provisions not applicable to direct bookings.

Assume you need an exception. First you need to motivate your OTA to even make the request. Book direct and can talk to a person who has the ability to work with you
Since, as I said, this happed last February, it's a bit late in the game now, and we really don't need it now. thanks for your input, though, for next time - which will happen never. 🤣

Reactions: CJN
A tough for you but good reminder for us so thanks for sharing. Glad the trip is still on!

I have vague memories of someone coming in here a year or so ago when the non-refundable rates popped back up griping about how Swolphin refused them refunds so honestly I think that ship sailed the moment you clicked book, don’t think you could have begged the President of Marriott to get out of it.

Covid has made me much more lax in travel booking procedures than I was pre-Covid. I used to always triple check refundable status of my bookings before I made them. About 6 months ago I came *this* close to booking a AAA rate directly via Marriott for like a Fairfield Inn I was 75% sure I wouldn’t even need before I caught the non-refundable language. That hotel had other AAA type rates that were higher but refundable- but the offering of those might be up to the property.

I gotta re-up my travel booking attention to details to the reality of today. All is fair in love, war and hotel bookings apparently!
Thanks, we are really looking forward to this trip.... and got a good rate, so that helps the bruised feelings.... LOL

Since, as I said, this happed last February, it's a bit late in the game now, and we really don't need it now. thanks for your input, though, for next time - which will happen never. 🤣
My point was directed to others reading this thread. A lot of people don't realize booking through an OTA ( online travel agency) means the OTA controls your reservation. You generally give up the right to directly contact the supplier. Accommodations the supplier extends to direct bookers may not be extended to you.

The refusal to allow a same day cancel was an issue with tickets at work

Hi,

I recently cancelled a reservation I had at Swan for this upcoming December. It has been about a week since i cancelled and I still have not received a credit back to my credit card for the deposit that was on that reservation. Just curious if this is normal for it to take over a week or if I need to start thinking about contacting them.

Thanks for any info.

I have booked a room at The Dolphin March 13-18 2023 with bonvoy certificates. I haven't been to Disney in about a decade, so everything is new to me! I have never stayed at this resort, we usually stay at a Disney Property. How do I get magic bands? How do I book dining reservations? Do I need to buy my park passes before I make reservations for the parks? I will be traveling with my husband and my 4 yo daughter. Any info you can share that you think I may need is appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter