Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

S/D/R probably did a market evaluation and realized they were pricing at AOA/POP levels. I am using points for my Feb trip but the cash rate when I booked months ago was very good. Now I see the rates have gone up to moderate resort levels.
SDR is best booked early, refundable. That way you can rebook if prices drop. Sometimes they skyrocket to $1k but sometimes they drop. Their pricing is incredibly dynamic.

Spent 5 nights at Dolphin the week before Christmas. It was our second time at the resort and it's still a favorite. No complaints or issues, and some anecdotes for common questions:

Water bottles - We received 4 water bottles in our room every day, two waiting in the fridge and two on the table.
Grocery delivery - Used Amazon Prime and Instacart to get some snacks / forgotten sundries and bell services held them and we grabbed them with no issue.
Transportation - The short path from Dolphin to Yacht Club was closed during our entire stay, so we stuck to the Friendships and the Dolphin's Mears busses only. We really liked the Mears busses (Disney Cruise Line themed w/ TVs, massive and comfortable) and used them always for getting both to MK and AK. The MK drop off is very close to the express monorail station and we never had to wait more than 15 minutes or in large crowds.
Deluxe park hours - Used these at Epcot, MK and HS - the parks definitely emptied but the marquee attractions still had decent waits. We did Seven Dwarves with a 30 minute wait right after the deluxe hours started, but the posted wait time had climbed to over than an hour towards the end of the night at MK which closed at 1am. Every other attraction is a walk on though.

@wilckepedia you can call either, call the Bonvoy line and if that fails call in-house reservations.
Waited to see if it would work itself out and make for one less thing on the to-do list. Got my reminder confirmation email today, so ended up calling in house reservations and they did a manual charge in under 3 minutes. Well worth the $85 credit I'll get from my Chase card for the effort!

Thanks for your review!

Does anyone there now have an update on if the path from Dolphin to yacht club is open yet or not?
It looked very close to done when we left, wouldn’t be surprised if they had it open for Christmas Day. They had taken the scrims down already, was just a metal barrier remaining at both ends. Looked like they were doing some exterior paint touchups on the east guest wing and had already moved on en masse to the convention building.

It looked very close to done when we left, wouldn’t be surprised if they had it open for Christmas Day. They had taken the scrims down already, was just a metal barrier remaining at both ends. Looked like they were doing some exterior paint touchups on the east guest wing and had already moved on en masse to the convention building.
I need to clarify - When we were there Dec 7-14, the pathway from the lower entrance of Dolphin that winds around between the water and the building was closed, but the larger path between the Yacht and Dolphin was wide open and being used... we just went across the bridge instead of the winding path along the building - same number of steps according to my counter. It does go up and down hill though. But that pathway to the YC Bus stop was a big help for us. Here's a photo from the vantage point of the bridge looking down the main path.... you can see the sidewalk that goes between the water and the Dolphin is closed. If you turned right instead of going straight, you would go along the Boardwalk to the YC boat launch and back entrance. Also an overhead map with the pathway that is open.

Attachments

• PXL_20221211_111444976.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20221211_111444976.NIGHT.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Short Cut.jpg
    Short Cut.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 42
I need to clarify - When we were there Dec 7-14, the pathway from the lower entrance of Dolphin that winds around between the water and the building was closed, but the larger path between the Yacht and Dolphin was wide open and being used... we just went across the bridge instead of the winding path along the building - same number of steps according to my counter. It does go up and down hill though. But that pathway to the YC Bus stop was a big help for us. Here's a photo from the vantage point of the bridge looking down the main path.... you can see the sidewalk that goes between the water and the Dolphin is closed. If you turned right instead of going straight, you would go along the Boardwalk to the YC boat launch and back entrance. Also an overhead map with the pathway that is open.
We are talking about the same thing- I personally would consider that larger path going between Swan and Yacht so with the wind-y path closed you go Dolphin -> Swan -> Yacht Club with a hill included. We were staying in the east wing so the closed path was definitely shorter when you use the exits on the ground floor from the east elevator bank. It was just enough hassle for us to be happy to stick to the Dolphin MK busses. I think if we ever had a bad experience with one of our trips (we did 6 total to/from MK) we would have given the Yacht Club method a try.

We are talking about the same thing- I personally would consider that larger path going between Swan and Yacht so with the wind-y path closed you go Dolphin -> Swan -> Yacht Club with a hill included. We were staying in the east wing so the closed path was definitely shorter when you use the exits on the ground floor from the east elevator bank. It was just enough hassle for us to be happy to stick to the Dolphin MK busses. I think if we ever had a bad experience with one of our trips (we did 6 total to/from MK) we would have given the Yacht Club method a try.
Oh, good. I know it gets confusing when we talk about entrances and exits, and paths... I love a good map!!

As far as Dolphin transportation, we didn't have as good of an experience as you did. I use a scooter, and the first bus we wanted to get on wasn't like the Disney-type with the back ramp for scooters/wheelchairs, it was the big motor coach. Luckily I can walk, and was able to climb up the steps while the driver folded the scooter and loaded it in the storage area underneath. When we arrived, I climbed down again, while the driver was unloading the scooter. They also do this with strollers.

I don't know how a non-ambulatory guest would be able to take this kind of bus, but a friend told me that while it is unusual, it's not unheard of for them to use the motor coach - usually it's a regular bus like the Disney ones.

At the end of the trip, we went to AK - and since I forgot to charge my scooter battery overnight 😣 because we were packing up, that was left behind this time. I figured I could handle the park for a couple of hours, but by the end, I was depending heavily on my friend to help me get back to the bus. We decided to take the Dolphin bus back since the pick up area is closer than the Disney buses, and we would end up right at the Dolphin rather than walking from YC. We waited for over 1/2 hour, and finally gave up and ordered a Lyft.

So finding the path to the YC bus stop really helped us a lot.

I wonder if D/S/SR will ever go back to using Disney buses... 🤔

Well I'm not sure if setting vary or not, but by my count this thread just reached 1,000 pages so that's over 20,000 posts.

A big shout out of kudos and appreciation to @Dan Murphy for keeping up and maintaining everything over the years.
View attachment 728764
1,000 and 20,000, and counting. Amazing!!

And thanks for the shout out, Steve, BUT, it's far from me keeping this place going. It's you along with the S/D/R 'regulars' here and the many new folks who come by with both great questions and great new information. And many of the new folks hang around and become 'regulars;. :cool1:

Maintaining? By me? Take a look at the OP. I said last year, just about this time, that I was going to wait a few months and let the dust from the Reserve settle a bit and then I was going to redo it. Well, it hasn't changed. I still have not added in the Reserve and most of the pictures are big red X's due to the S/D changing their website and all the url's along with the change. It's not going off my S/D/R bucket list. Maybe in 2023.

Remember the saying, it takes a village? It takes a lot of people to keep a thread like this going. At 6'6", I may be a big guy, but hardly the Village we have here. And thank you all for all you do here. But again, Steve, thanks for the shout out.

1672530120023.png
spelling

Last edited:
We were at the Dolphin 12/21-12/24 with a less than stellar experience. Someone left used underwear in the closet and despite telling them about it a couple times no one came and removed them. We also had a fire alarm go off at 7 am on 12/24 and there was zero resort representation. Not a single person working for the resort was around to tell us where to go, or what to do, or where to stand, and no one informed anyone of the all clear. I loved so much about this resort but I doubt I’ll return because dirty panties and poor emergency response are just two things I cannot really get over.

Edited to add: They told us the balconies on the east wing are done and they have now begun work on the balconies on the West wing. We did have a balcony in the west wing and did not have any trouble or excessive noise from the work being done.

We also had a fire alarm go off at 7 am on 12/24 and there was zero resort representation. Not a single person working for the resort was around to tell us where to go, or what to do, or where to stand, and no one informed anyone of the all clear.
Wow and it was below freezing that morning - we were also at the Dolphin and didn't experience an alarm that morning fortunately.

As far as Dolphin transportation, we didn't have as good of an experience as you did. I use a scooter, and the first bus we wanted to get on wasn't like the Disney-type with the back ramp for scooters/wheelchairs, it was the big motor coach. Luckily I can walk, and was able to climb up the steps while the driver folded the scooter and loaded it in the storage area underneath. When we arrived, I climbed down again, while the driver was unloading the scooter. They also do this with strollers.

I don't know how a non-ambulatory guest would be able to take this kind of bus, but a friend told me that while it is unusual, it's not unheard of for them to use the motor coach - usually it's a regular bus like the Disney ones.
I can imagine having a stroller / scooter making the Mears busses much less convenient for sure! We only ever saw the Mears coach busses, but I noticed Shades of Green was using Disney-like busses.

1,000 and 20,000, and counting. Amazing!!

And thanks for the shout out, Steve, BUT, it's far from me keeping this place going. It's you along with the S/D/R 'regulars' here and the many new folks who come by with both great questions and great new information. And many of the new folks hang around and become 'regulars;. :cool1:

Maintaining? By me? Take a look at the OP. I said last year, just about this time, that I was going to wait a few months and let the dust from the Reserve settle a bit and then I was going to redo it. Well, it hasn't changed. I still have not added in the Reserve and most of the pictures are big red X's due to the S/D changing their website and all the url's along with the change. It's not going off my S/D/R bucket list. Maybe in 2023.

Remember the saying, it takes a village? It takes a lot of people to keep a thread like this going. At 6'6", I may be a big guy, but hardly the Village we have here. And thank you all for all you do here. But again, Steve, thanks for the shout out.

spelling

I don't post as often as I used to, but this is still my favorite thread on the Dis. Great people who try hard to help each other.

Wow and it was below freezing that morning - we were also at the Dolphin and didn't experience an alarm that morning fortunately.
Interesting! I wonder if it was only a part of the resort and maybe that’s why there wasn’t a better response. We never heard what happened or why the alarm went off, but it does make me feel better to know that maybe it was just a false alarm on our floor or something.

And yes, it was freezing out there. Luckily some other really kind guests were super helpful and it was a short amount of time outside before other resort guests told us we could go back inside.

We were at the Dolphin 12/21-12/24 with a less than stellar experience. Someone left used underwear in the closet and despite telling them about it a couple times no one came and removed them. We also had a fire alarm go off at 7 am on 12/24 and there was zero resort representation. Not a single person working for the resort was around to tell us where to go, or what to do, or where to stand, and no one informed anyone of the all clear. I loved so much about this resort but I doubt I’ll return because dirty panties and poor emergency response are just two things I cannot really get over.

Edited to add: They told us the balconies on the east wing are done and they have now begun work on the balconies on the West wing. We did have a balcony in the west wing and did not have any trouble or excessive noise from the work being done.
People have posted about similar experiences at various Disney-owned resorts: fire alarm goes off, no cast members around to tell people what's going on or what to do.

I'm not trying to minimize your experience, I just want you to be aware that this type of thing is not limited to Dolphin.

Hello everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.
I haven’t been on here in quite a while but am now looking at booking either summer 2023/2024 and was wondering if using the Marriott site is the best for deals at swan/dolphin resorts? It would be 2 families ( ourselves and our daughter’s) both of which have a teacher in them possibly looking 2 or 3 rooms. My adult son not sure if he wants his own space which he will pay for himself. I reckon once he hears the price he will be happy to share 😂
I see there are teachers rates and stay connected rates and even annual pass rates but I’m not sure which works best or if the can be stacked ? Don’t think annual passes on sale yet for new owners so that one likely out. We have stayed at YC/BC the last few years and both swan and dolphin around 2002/2003 . Love the area but Disney has out-priced us. We walked around the swan/dolphin last summer and loved the look of it. Also do I add the resort fee on myself to get an accurate estimate of cost or is it automatically included?
So sorry for the long post but honestly no idea if I’m going about this the right way and trying to get a great resort choice at a good price.
Thanks for any help.

Hello everyone and a Happy New Year to you all.
I haven’t been on here in quite a while but am now looking at booking either summer 2023/2024 and was wondering if using the Marriott site is the best for deals at swan/dolphin resorts? It would be 2 families ( ourselves and our daughter’s) both of which have a teacher in them possibly looking 2 or 3 rooms. My adult son not sure if he wants his own space which he will pay for himself. I reckon once he hears the price he will be happy to share 😂
I see there are teachers rates and stay connected rates and even annual pass rates but I’m not sure which works best or if the can be stacked ? Don’t think annual passes on sale yet for new owners so that one likely out. We have stayed at YC/BC the last few years and both swan and dolphin around 2002/2003 . Love the area but Disney has out-priced us. We walked around the swan/dolphin last summer and loved the look of it. Also do I add the resort fee on myself to get an accurate estimate of cost or is it automatically included?
So sorry for the long post but honestly no idea if I’m going about this the right way and trying to get a great resort choice at a good price.
Thanks for any help.
I usually use the Marriott site. You can check a box that says “show rate with taxes and fees” so you get the true price. Also you can add in the discounts to see which ones yield the best prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter