Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

We were "stuck" at the Dolphin during Hurricane Ian, so we had to eat all of our meals there for two days straight, and I was blown away! Not even just the heavy hitters like Shula's, Kimono's, and bluezoo, but Fuel has some really great grab and go options, especially for a quick breakfast before heading into the parks.. My kids also loved Picabu's burrito bowls. Definitely some great options right there within the hotels!

We were there too! September 28 (flew in 9/27 but stayed near the airport) and departed for BC on October 1, 2022. Ian was our fourth hurricane at Disney. Have to admit, it was more fun riding it out at Dolphin than the other resorts in which we have been "stuck" over the years.

We often walk over from BC or BWI to grab Picabu's tacos or a pizza. Food options are far better and tastier at the Swan & Dolphin.

We were there too! September 28 (flew in 9/27 but stayed near the airport) and departed for BC on October 1, 2022. Ian was our fourth hurricane at Disney. Have to admit, it was more fun riding it out at Dolphin than the other resorts in which we have been "stuck" over the years.

We often walk over from BC or BWI to grab Picabu's tacos or a pizza. Food options are far better and tastier at the Swan & Dolphin.
Didn't they do a great job? All of the cast members were amazing. I was so grateful for the big lobby and the convention areas for our kiddos to run around in. It would've been SO much harder being in one of the moderate or value resorts where people were truly stuck in their rooms.

I was there a week ago. My room was assigned in the app before I arrived and I did have an upgrade. I suspect the comment about morning assignments might be accurate. I think I actually did online check in as I was arriving late and wanted my park plans to be in order.
I think I may have screwed up not doing mobile check in as we arrived late and they couldn’t upgrade us.

Help just stayed at the Swan and it was a pleasant experience although I knew there was a $40 resort fee I thought that included parking but it didn’t so the additional $32 per night So my rate was $72 more per night
I’m looking for one night in June and can get Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for about the same rate as the Swan. No $40 resort fee at Animal or Wilderness and I believe that Disney did away with parking fee. So for those more experienced here would you stay at the Disney resorts for basically a $100 less and deal with bus transportation or stay at Swan and have walking distance to 2 parks?
I’d go WL. Easy MK area access. I didn’t like how far away AKL was from everything.

Help just stayed at the Swan and it was a pleasant experience although I knew there was a $40 resort fee I thought that included parking but it didn’t so the additional $32 per night So my rate was $72 more per night
I’m looking for one night in June and can get Animal Kingdom or Wilderness Lodge for about the same rate as the Swan. No $40 resort fee at Animal or Wilderness and I believe that Disney did away with parking fee. So for those more experienced here would you stay at the Disney resorts for basically a $100 less and deal with bus transportation or stay at Swan and have walking distance to 2 parks?
I guess it would depend on your plans for that one day and how often you go. I've stayed at AKL but not WL (have stayed at the Fort in our RV). If your plans are to spend most of your time at MK, go WL. If you plans are to spend some time at MK and/or AK go AKL. If your plans are spend most of your time at HS and/or Epcot, pay the extra and go Swan/Dolphin. I don't mind the buses so AKL is not an issue in that aspect. You are going to have to bus to AK no matter where you stay so staying at AKL isn't going to be an issue there. If you are going to spend a lot of time at MK, the boat from WL is a benefit. Being able to walk to HS and Epcot gives Swan/Dolphin the edge, which is why I tend to stay there instead of a Disney moderate. I love CSR, absolutely one of my favorite resorts on property but I tend to spend part of every single day at Epcot so that's why I stay at Swan/Dolphin. On the other hand, I go often, usually at least twice a year so for a one day trip, I'd probably save the money and go WL or AKL.

Anyone have an opinion on if the Swan/Dolphin food is better/worse than Disney food? Our dining reservation window comes up next week and leaning towards eating at the hotel (mostly Fountain/Cabana) pretty often unless the Disney food is better. Also trying to decide between Shula's and 50s PrimeTime at Hollywood Studios for my husband's bday if there are any opinions there.
Thank you!
In September, we were at the Swan and had a reservation to eat dinner in Epcot (Via Napoli). There was a brutal thunderstorm/torrential rain and we did not want to walk and get soaked. so we cancelled that and decided to try Il Mulino. It was one of the best meals ever! Service, food and atmosphere were all great!!

To park hop now, you have to go through the TTC?
I didn’t realize they brought back park-to-park transportation via bus. I guess I didn’t pay attention to it because we took breaks in the room before going to our 2nd+ park each day and used the Monorail and Skyliner.

I am checking into Dolphin for Princess next week and it has been interesting watching the rates. I got my lowest AP rate in late September (280/night including fees) and suddenly these past few days it dropped a few more bucks. Usually race weekends are so busy it surprised me there's still availability and at such a low rate. Yesterday even the regular refundable rate was only 300/night including fees for Thursday check-in, probably the most popular day for those checking in for the challenge (10k + half on Saturday/Sunday). More days than not the rates have been significantly higher (even 100/night more), but the low rates pop up for those that check regularly like me, even last minute.

I actually decided to book through the Amex Travel portal since I got an Amex plat. The S/D are part of their Hotel Collection which comes with a $200 annual statement credit if you stay 2+ nights and a $100 resort credit that it sounds like people have been successful in just applying towards the invoice (resort fees) rather than towards dining/spa/etc. The Amex Travel price was about $170 more total than my AP rate, but the $200 credit will cover that and I have no other stays this year where I would be able to use it. Plus, the $100 credit on top of that would definitely make it worthwhile.

The Amex Travel benefits include Marriott Gold status and a room upgrade when available, now I know that even the top Marriott status members have a tough time getting upgrades at the S/D but in my digging it does seem like the Amex Travel status often is prioritized over regular Marriott status, so I will definitely report back if I have any luck. All room types still being available and heavily discounted is a good sign. I will also request the 2pm check out, which also seems to be rare, but we shall see. I linked my Marriott number in the Amex portal and it immediately showed up in my Marriott account so I'm definitely confident I'll get both the Marriott points and the 5x MR points for booking via portal. I have a free night promo with each stay too that I'm hoping this qualifies for even though I didn't book direct.

Not trying to sound like an Amex ad :rotfl: But hoping this works out well so I can report back if it's worth booking via portal or not, since it seems like hardly anyone gets upgraded on Marriott status alone.

I am checking into Dolphin for Princess next week and it has been interesting watching the rates. I got my lowest AP rate in late September (280/night including fees) and suddenly these past few days it dropped a few more bucks. Usually race weekends are so busy it surprised me there's still availability and at such a low rate. Yesterday even the regular refundable rate was only 300/night including fees for Thursday check-in, probably the most popular day for those checking in for the challenge (10k + half on Saturday/Sunday). More days than not the rates have been significantly higher (even 100/night more), but the low rates pop up for those that check regularly like me, even last minute.
Interesting. I wanted to stay there for Princess but my searches kept showing no availability or really high rates. I keep checking because I'd rather stay there, but not for $800/night. You're seeing availability on the Marriott site? What am I doing wrong?

Interesting. I wanted to stay there for Princess but my searches kept showing no availability or really high rates. I keep checking because I'd rather stay there, but not for $800/night. You're seeing availability on the Marriott site? What am I doing wrong?
When I looked last night, Thursday was definitely available for check in, looking now I am only seeing Friday check-in. We are doing a split stay so it works for us! This is the regular Dolphin rate for Friday-Monday, it was cheaper yesterday and changes multiple times a day! The last cancel date is 2/19 for Friday check in so there’s still a few days to work with. I’m not sure if Thursday sold out or if it’ll come back but it was for sure available yesterday.

It is a relatively small window of dates available so maybe your check in or check out date is just outside the range. I use the Marriott website.

The flexible 1-night calendar is helpful too. The 2nd photo is dolphin and 3rd photo is Swan (fees not included but gives good idea of availability, looks like 2/23 is now sky high)

Attachments

• 5D5CAA72-A02C-431F-962D-2A04C39D9792.jpeg
    5D5CAA72-A02C-431F-962D-2A04C39D9792.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 6
  • A1412A33-EE72-43D5-85D8-DF3E4600F998.jpeg
    A1412A33-EE72-43D5-85D8-DF3E4600F998.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 5
  • FE70BFAA-08C7-4667-9E20-938CF0DD70AF.jpeg
    FE70BFAA-08C7-4667-9E20-938CF0DD70AF.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 5
Thanks! :) I'll be there Thurs - Mon, so I bet that's my problem. I'll definitely keep checking, though.
For sure keep checking! I know I saw Thursday-Monday at 303/night YESTERDAY at dolphin so maybe someone will drop a reservation in the next couple of days! If you aren’t opposed to moving resorts and checking in Friday I’ve had fantastic service with baggage transfer.

Sorry to hear, so you suggest doing mobile check in?
No idea! I was responding to someone else’s post where they thought they got an upgrade because they used mobile check in because they knew they were going to arrive late. Our arrival was actually very late which probably adversely affected our chances.

The Amex Travel benefits include Marriott Gold status and a room upgrade when available, now I know that even the top Marriott status members have a tough time getting upgrades at the S/D but in my digging it does seem like the Amex Travel status often is prioritized over regular Marriott status, so I will definitely report back if I have any luck. All room types still being available and heavily discounted is a good sign. I will also request the 2pm check out, which also seems to be rare, but we shall see. I linked my Marriott number in the Amex portal and it immediately showed up in my Marriott account so I'm definitely confident I'll get both the Marriott points and the 5x MR points for booking via portal. I have a free night promo with each stay too that I'm hoping this qualifies for even though I didn't book direct.
I was planning on this but in the UK we dont get any statement credits and it worked out way cheaper to buy points and do the 5th night free.
I've not seen the Swan and Dolphin come up as an option on the hotel collection for a while. I actually thought they dropped it. So good to know they haven't.

I have noticed that room rates tend to be higher on days with the extra evening hours - so as thursday wouldnt cover this - might be why.

I love our amex card and often sound like a walking advert too - the deal we got at loews portifino for 3rd March was honestly ridiculous ending up being cheaper than rack rate - free cancellation - $100 dinner credit, - breakfast and 4pm checkout. (Plus 2 days of express passes) for i think just over £500

I was planning on this but in the UK we dont get any statement credits and it worked out way cheaper to buy points and do the 5th night free.
I've not seen the Swan and Dolphin come up as an option on the hotel collection for a while. I actually thought they dropped it. So good to know they haven't.

I have noticed that room rates tend to be higher on days with the extra evening hours - so as thursday wouldnt cover this - might be why.

I love our amex card and often sound like a walking advert too - the deal we got at loews portifino for 3rd March was honestly ridiculous ending up being cheaper than rack rate - free cancellation - $100 dinner credit, - breakfast and 4pm checkout. (Plus 2 days of express passes) for i think just over £500
I never thought about buying points, with how high cash rates sometimes are I can totally see that being worth it especially with a free night. I have not ventured into Marriott Points since the transfer values aren't as good with my cards. I am using points to stay at the Hyatt in Maui and while I had enough points on hand, I thought it was interesting that buying points would have been like $200/night cheaper than the cash rates had I needed to go that route. I keep hearing about Portofino being the greatest value on Amex Travel, once Epic Universe opens I will have to look into that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter