Walt Disney World SWAN, DOLPHIN & SWAN RESERVE RESORTS Information & Questions

What time do the boats start running to Epcot & HS?

I know the official line on transportation is usually 1 hour before park open. We’re looking to get to Early Entry and wondering if we have a chance of making it with the boats.

Hoping this group can help us get the real facts here. 🙂

I know the official line on transportation is usually 1 hour before park open. We’re looking to get to Early Entry and wondering if we have a chance of making it with the boats.

If you're staying at Swan/Dolphin/Reserve it's a short walk over to Epcot, no boat needed. But if you want to make EE at HS I recommend getting an Uber/Lyft.

If you're staying at Swan/Dolphin/Reserve it's a short walk over to Epcot, no boat needed. But if you want to make EE at HS I recommend getting an Uber/Lyft.
Thanks. We’ll likely go with the Uber or Lyft to HS. Not sure what we’ll do about Epcot. Walking won’t be an option for our group unfortunately.

Thanks. We’ll likely go with the Uber or Lyft to HS. Not sure what we’ll do about Epcot. Walking won’t be an option for our group unfortunately.
I’ve taken the boats and made EE. Unfortunately I don’t recall how early I went to the boat dock :( You won’t be near the front of the EE pack but you can still make EE and get to a ride before the public is let in.

Hoping this group can help us get the real facts here. 🙂
An hour prior to EE. You will definitely make it, and HS is the next stop after Swan/Dolphin. It takes about the same amount of time as walking if not being a bit faster. It only takes longer if you just missed the boat for example. You won’t be at the front of the pack though, as said. All Ears did a few comparison videos. There is no need to rideshare unless you want to be at the front of the pack tbh.

Epcot you should make it as well for EE on the boat but it’s a much longer trip going the other direction because of the additional stops. If you can cross over the bridge and catch it at Boardwalk you can shave a bunch of time off.

According to Google maps the walk to EPCOT is 0.8 miles; 0.9 miles to DHS.

The boat is pleasant. You'll save time walking to EPCOT..DHS is the next boat dock. Unless you just miss a boat walking will generally take more time.

If walking is not possible rent a scooter from an offsite vendor. Youll be walking longer distances during the day. Most vendors deliver to bell services at S D R

According to Google maps the walk to EPCOT is 0.8 miles; 0.9 miles to DHS.

The boat is pleasant. You'll save time walking to EPCOT..DHS is the next boat dock. Unless you just miss a boat walking will generally take more time.

If walking is not possible rent a scooter from an offsite vendor. Youll be walking longer distances during the day. Most vendors deliver to bell services at S D R
I've stayed at Dolphin, YC, BC and BW, and agree that renting scooter from outside vendor is the best way to go if there are any mobility issues.

I have used Gold Mobility at D/S and ScooterBug at Dis resorts only because of delivery to Bell Services policies. Only GM will deliver and pick up at D/S bell services before your arrival/after you drop it off, and only SB will deliver to bell services at the Disney resorts. Otherwise, both (and others) will still deliver but you need to be present to accept delivery/pickup.

My preference is GM after too many "iffy" situations with SB.

It takes a bit of practice to park a scooter on the buses, but most of the bus drivers will assist if you need it. With the scooters, we have no need to use the boats.

EDITED TO ADD: Renting a scooter from an outside vendor comes out less expensive than renting one daily from the parks... and you have use of it outside the parks, like for that LO-O-O-ng walk to and from the bus stops.... :faint:

Last edited:

Taking an Uber or Lyft to HS for EE from the Swan/Dolphin will NOT get you in any earlier than the boats or walking. Lyfts and Ubers are held at the parking entry until they are given the all clear for folks to begin entering. This will put you behind every walker, WDW Bus, and boats. Because you have to wait for the parking gates to open and THEN wait through the line of all the cars.

The ONLY ride share that will get you there possibly earlier is to take a Minnie Van as they can go into the bus entry whereas regular ride share cannot. Minnie Van is about 2 to 3 times higher than a regular LYFT but it may be worth it to your group. (I took Minnie Van to MK earlier this month and it was worth every penny to me personally)

If you are an early riser, walking is the way for maximizing EE at HS. It's about a 15 minute walk at a slow pace (earlier this month I did it at such a slow pace my FitBit didn't even register it as a walk) and I was one of the first folks through security. With a slow pace is walking a choice at all?

The upside of taking a boat is that for EE, a boat is dispatched to each dock at the same time and then follows regular routing unless full. This means the immediate next stop for a boat boarded at Swan/Dolphin will be HS.

Last edited:
Only GM will deliver and pick up at D/S bell services before your arrival/after you drop it off, and only SB will deliver to bell services at the Disney resorts. Otherwise, both (and others) will still deliver but you need to be present to accept delivery/pickup
Only Scooterbug is allowed to use bell services at WDW operated resorts. Gold doesn't have an exclusive at SDR. Virtually any company can use bell services at those resorts.

I only have
Only Scooterbug is allowed to use bell services at WDW operated resorts. Gold doesn't have an exclusive at SDR. Virtually any company can use bell services at those resorts.
Thanks for the clarification. I only have experience with these two companies, so couldn't comment on the other vendors... good to know.

Taking an Uber or Lyft to HS for EE from the Swan/Dolphin will NOT get you in any earlier than the boats or walking. Lyfts and Ubers are held at the parking entry until they are given the all clear for folks to begin entering. This will put you behind every walker, WDW Bus, and boats. Because you have to wait for the parking gates to open and THEN wait through the line of all the cars.

The ONLY ride share that will get you there possibly earlier is to take a Minnie Van as they can go into the bus entry whereas regular ride share cannot. Minnie Van is about 2 to 3 times higher than a regular LYFT but it may be worth it to your group. (I took Minnie Van to MK earlier this month and it was worth every penny to me personally)

If you are an early riser, walking is the way for maximizing EE at HS. It's about a 15 minute walk at a slow pace (earlier this month I did it at such a slow pace my FitBit didn't even register it as a walk) and I was one of the first folks through security. With a slow pace is walking a choice at all?

The upside of taking a boat is that for EE, a boat is dispatched to each dock at the same time and then follows regular routing unless full. This means the immediate next stop for a boat boarded at Swan/Dolphin will be HS.
Unless it’s been changed recently (and it’s very possible, as I haven’t taken an Uber to EE at HS since May of last year), they changed Uber/Lyft drop-offs at HS. They now drop off in the bus area, granted the slot is the farthest one, and are allowed in the bus entrance, so they bypass the regular car entrance gates. We did early entry in May ‘22 with an Uber and beat the cars by a large margin.

Unless it’s been changed recently (and it’s very possible, as I haven’t taken an Uber to EE at HS since May of last year), they changed Uber/Lyft drop-offs at HS. They now drop off in the bus area, granted the slot is the farthest one, and are allowed in the bus entrance, so they bypass the regular car entrance gates. We did early entry in May ‘22 with an Uber and beat the cars by a large margin.
I walked earlier this month (and usually do) to HS. I was going from experience from last summer when only ones allowed into the bus lanes before the parking lot opens are are buses + Minnie vans at HS.

Maybe someone can confirm - we're going back in a couple of weeks but will be at YC

I walked earlier this month (and usually do) to HS. I was going from experience from last summer when only ones allowed into the bus lanes before the parking lot opens are are buses + Minnie vans at HS.

Maybe someone can confirm - we're going back in a couple of weeks but will be at YC
We generally walk as well, as Epcot area is our preferred hotel locale, but that day it was sprinkling and muggy and we weren’t having it. I was kind of embarrassed getting an Uber from BC to HS. I know that rideshare uses the farthest slot in the bus area at HS (no more front of park drop off or pick up - so we still had a hike once we were dropped off 🙁), and I know that according to 2023 Lyft protocols all drivers (not just MVs) must enter HS through the bus lanes. I can’t find anything for Uber protocols more recent than 2022, and I don’t have any personal experience more recent than May 2022 to verify that Uber still enters through the bus lanes, so, as you said, hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in to see if it’s still the same.

We generally walk as well, as Epcot area is our preferred hotel locale, but that day it was sprinkling and muggy and we weren’t having it. I was kind of embarrassed getting an Uber from BC to HS. I know that rideshare uses the farthest slot in the bus area at HS (no more front of park drop off or pick up - so we still had a hike once we were dropped off 🙁), and I know that according to 2023 Lyft protocols all drivers (not just MVs) must enter HS through the bus lanes. I can’t find anything for Uber protocols more recent than 2022, and I don’t have any personal experience more recent than May 2022 to verify that Uber still enters through the bus lanes, so, as you said, hopefully someone with more recent experience will chime in to see if it’s still the same.
Don't feel bad. On this last trip I took a Minnie Van from the front of Epcot back to the Dolphin. :rotfl2: My ankle was bothering me and there were a LOT of folks drinking around the world that evening. I just didn't have it in me to go from Guardians back to International Gateway....

But back to the HS/Lyft/Uber issue - I just don't want the OP to plan on using a Lyft and then get held. For Rope Drop, Minnie Van, official WDW Transport (bus/boat), or your feet is the only guarantee for true EE at any of the parks.

Does the Swan or Dolphin have refillable mugs? We want refillable mugs for coffee. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter