Walt's office removed from One Man's Dream

Despite the fact that people are saying this was a "temporary" exhibit it is so sad that we cannot take our grandkids to see where some of Walt's magic originally began. We live in the KC area and there is a move afoot to restore his original studio where Mickey was inspired by his little visiting mouse. Sometimes I feel as if the Disney powers that be just don't get that we want our future generations to be able to appreciate just what this man started with just a dream and a little mouse.

I think there should be a place in the parks to celebrate Walt's vision as well but even if there isn't future generations will be able to see the family museum with a much larger collection that One Man's Dream ever had. I don't think these things will be warehoused away never to be seen by the public again.

Despite the fact that people are saying this was a "temporary" exhibit it is so sad that we cannot take our grandkids to see where some of Walt's magic originally began. We live in the KC area and there is a move afoot to restore his original studio where Mickey was inspired by his little visiting mouse. Sometimes I feel as if the Disney powers that be just don't get that we want our future generations to be able to appreciate just what this man started with just a dream and a little mouse.

We are in the KC area as well, and would love to see the restoration of Walt's original studio. My husband and I would definitely take our boys there to see where it all began.

I'm so glad that we made it a point to spend a lot of time at this exhibit. I hope that they honor Walt in some manner.

The location is likely to be part of the new Star Wars Launch Bay preview center. The stop-gap Star Wars thing to get the park through the Star Wars Land construction period.

Is One Man's Dream considered the Animation Courtyard?

Years ago at MK there was a walk through display exhibiting Walt's memorabilia at what is now the Town Square Theater behind the Camera Center. We used to enjoy that. It wasn't quite as extensive as OMDream, and had no theater, but had Oscar awards etc.

Never done it, never heard of it, wont miss it. We got bored of DHS over a decade ago and haven't been back. Its the only park we're not going to on our October trip this year. With that said, its really a shame they take something away thats been there so long. People have come to love and enjoy it where it was known to be.

I don't understand people saying that EPCOT, the theme park, is in any way similar to Walt's vision of EPCOT. Walt's idea was a community where people lived and worked. Not a theme park. The only thing the two share in common is the name.

I'll be sad if One Man's Dream closes. It's all well and good to say that the exhibits belong in the family museum. But the family museum is in San Francisco. A lovely city, but not a "Disney" destination. It would be nice to have them either in Anaheim or WDW.

I don't understand people saying that EPCOT, the theme park, is in any way similar to Walt's vision of EPCOT. Walt's idea was a community where people lived and worked. Not a theme park. The only thing the two share in common is the name.

I'll be sad if One Man's Dream closes. It's all well and good to say that the exhibits belong in the family museum. But the family museum is in San Francisco. A lovely city, but not a "Disney" destination. It would be nice to have them either in Anaheim or WDW.
I understand where your coming from since Walt's idea and the park look nothing alike but we were just saying that EPCOT is the only park that make's sense for it since that was Walt's big plan for WDW.

Years ago at MK there was a walk through display exhibiting Walt's memorabilia at what is now the Town Square Theater behind the Camera Center. We used to enjoy that. It wasn't quite as extensive as OMDream, and had no theater, but had Oscar awards etc.
There was a theater behind Town Hall, but I think it just played Steamboat Willie

So very sad. It's a shame they aren't going to even going to relocate the attraction. I'll be there shortly for what I'm sure will be my last chance to experience One Man's Dream.

So very sad. It's a shame they aren't going to even going to relocate the attraction. I'll be there shortly for what I'm sure will be my last chance to experience One Man's Dream.
They haven't officially announced the closure of One Man's Dream. So there's still a chance we'll be able to enjoy it in the future.

It really belongs in the Disney Family Museum in San Fransico. And that's where the office items are going as will other materials that were on loan from the museum.

Well it belongs wherever the family wants to share it. I've heard nothing but great things about the family museum and look forward to seeing it the next time I am close enough. Anything the family allows for whatever period of time to be displayed at the disney parks is very appreciated and loved by those that get to experience it.

There was a theater behind Town Hall, but I think it just played Steamboat Willie
There was an exhibit in addition to the theater showing Steamboat Willie. I don't remember the precise location, but it was in the same vicinity as the theater, perhaps sharing an entrance.

We always go to it, hopefully it or something like it will always be somewhere in the parks

Allow an "old-timer" to clarify the history here.

From 1973-1992, there was an attraction called The Walt Disney Story. It was located on Main Street to the right of Exposition Hall. You entered into a "museum" area filled with display cases showing all types of historical items and memorabilia from Walt's life, the studios, and the theme parks. At the back end, there was a theater that showed a 23-minute film highlighting Walt's life and accomplishments. The post-show area had a series of changing exhibits including previews for upcoming things. A couple of times, the attraction actually closed and was replaced by the EPCOT preview center and later the Disney-MGM preview center.

The show let out into a Disneyana collectibles store that sold unique merchandise including hand-painted animation cels (back when they didn't cost hundreds or thousands of dollars).

In 1996, the space became the 25th anniversary welcome center and later the Animal Kingdom preview center.

It was a great space. I used to love spending time there. One of the highlights was back by the theater, there was a mural of a couple hundred Disney characters and as new movies were released, Disney artists would add the new characters to the mural.

So if they want to put something somewhere, I'd vote for putting it back where it started on Main Street.

They haven't officially announced the closure of One Man's Dream. So there's still a chance we'll be able to enjoy it in the future.
True, but it's hard to imagine they'll be keeping it around much longer if they've removed Walt's desk and shipped it away.

Allow an "old-timer" to clarify the history here.

From 1973-1992, there was an attraction called The Walt Disney Story. It was located on Main Street to the right of Exposition Hall. You entered into a "museum" area filled with display cases showing all types of historical items and memorabilia from Walt's life, the studios, and the theme parks. At the back end, there was a theater that showed a 23-minute film highlighting Walt's life and accomplishments. The post-show area had a series of changing exhibits including previews for upcoming things. A couple of times, the attraction actually closed and was replaced by the EPCOT preview center and later the Disney-MGM preview center.

The show let out into a Disneyana collectibles store that sold unique merchandise including hand-painted animation cels (back when they didn't cost hundreds or thousands of dollars).

In 1996, the space became the 25th anniversary welcome center and later the Animal Kingdom preview center.

It was a great space. I used to love spending time there. One of the highlights was back by the theater, there was a mural of a couple hundred Disney characters and as new movies were released, Disney artists would add the new characters to the mural.

So if they want to put something somewhere, I'd vote for putting it back where it started on Main Street.

Oh yes. This is where I fell in love with the idea of EPCOT and where my fascination with Walt Disney and his dreams began. I love One Man's Dream. I have taken DS7 to WDW about 20 times. He has gone to D23 events with me. We have Disney memorabilia all over our house. It wasn't until last year, when we were walking through One Man's Dream that my DS finally put the pieces together and understood that Walt created all of this. He started asking questions about Walt and began calling him "the man with the dream". I think this is such an important exhibit and I truly hope it will remain in some capacity, somewhere in the parks.

But it does sound like I really need to plan a trip to SF!

I hope it's still there when I visit at the end of October. I'll make sure I spend a good long time enjoying it while I can and taking lots of photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter