Want the shock of your life?

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
Hang onto your drawers! DH just suggested we sell one of our OKW contracts to buy AKV!!!

I know, that will shock you coming from Mrs. OKW! I actually talked him out of it. I would LOVE to do a 100 point add on at AKV, but it really is more points than we need, and when he found how little we could get off the 150 point contract, he decided it didn't make sense. I guess we will have to settle for a contract at AKV somewhere around 65 points. That will give us a 2 bedroom in value season for a week. Actually, we would need one point more than that, so will likely do 66.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out just exactly how we will be likely to use AKV. The two possible scenarios are a studio, 1, or 2 bedroom villa every third year, or a few days on either end of each of our regularily planned trips to WDW. Not sure which of those scenarios is most likely, but I'm guessing the last one would be most likely. I, of course would LOVE to do the 100 points, but I know it isn't in the cards.

Okay, now that you have scraped yourself off the floor to hear that we were even CONSIDERING doing that....go back to your regularily scheduled reading.

Seriously? I can't believe it. Go for it! You can always split your stays that way you will never be far from your first love!:love:

Wow - congratulations on your potential purchase and on having the good sense to hang on to those beloved OKW points. I wouldn't consider selling my OKW contract but have been seriously thinking about the SSR one. It is just hard to justify selling 150 points to get so many less. Will wait and see how the ability to get reservations works out if you don't have points there before I make any rask decisions.

I think it's just because the Animal Kingdom Lodge itself is just so tempting. I don't fault you at all. And actually, if I understand what you're saying, you will have more points this way because you are keeping your 150 OKW add on AND adding on 66AKV.

I sort of know how we would use a 100 pt. AKV add on, 2 bedroom every other year with our 1 DS's family..it just has to be the configution we want with 2 Qs. I've called our guide.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Wow - congratulations on your potential purchase and on having the good sense to hang on to those beloved OKW points. I wouldn't consider selling my OKW contract but have been seriously thinking about the SSR one. It is just hard to justify selling 150 points to get so many less. Will wait and see how the ability to get reservations works out if you don't have points there before I make any rask decisions.

Well, that was the conclusion we came to as well. It wasn't worth selling even the smaller of our two OKW contracts to justify it. DH would not give up the 150 to buy less points at AKV, and it didn't make sense to pay that much more for the same number of points, so instead we will be adding on a smaller contract and not getting the incentive price. I may have to foot this bill alone, but I'm certainly willing to do that. If I thought I could swing the maintenance for an AKV master contract myself, I'd do that, but I can't, so it's a moot point.

But, but, but Diane....! You'll get 15 more years on your AKV contract and still be able to book your beloved OKW stays at 7 mos. Not to mention get your lovely name stitched onto that tapestry. Who wouldn't want that?! :)

Ok, ok, OKW is wonderful. But I'll just say one thing (5-10 concierge rooms with sunrise safaris MAX!). About as likely as a Cindy Castle stay unless you own.

DISCLAIMER: Yeah, I'm bad.:cool2: Mind you, I'm just gonna sneak some of Greenban's points away while he's not looking. He's got enough of them anyway. And I hear he's gonna play Secret Santa next year on the DIS.:upsidedow

Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question...

People who buy small interests in DVC properties (ie less than 100 points, often it appears 25-75) to supplement their other ownership, how do you use those points and what is their value?

The 8-11 month reservation window is only good on those 25-75 points, not the other points you own, so you only buy yourself a 2-5 night (weeknights) stay in a studio with those points.

Just curious why people would do this rather than buy a re-sale to add on to their existing ownership in their original property.

Sorry for what may seem like a dumb question...

People who buy small interests in DVC properties (ie less than 100 points, often it appears 25-75) to supplement their other ownership, how do you use those points and what is their value?

The 8-11 month reservation window is only good on those 25-75 points, not the other points you own, so you only buy yourself a 2-5 night (weeknights) stay in a studio with those points.

Just curious why people would do this rather than buy a re-sale to add on to their existing ownership in their original property.

If you read my original post, you will see that we plan either to use every 3rd year with banking and borrowing or to use a couple of nights a trip to start or end a trip.

It would really depend on how often someone with a small add-on would be visiting. Many DVC'ers have contracts at several different resorts where they may only stay on one every few years...so by banking/borrowing a 50 pt. add-on becomes 150 (which is definitely do-able in several different combinations).

I actually spent quite a bit of time with DVCJohn's point chart working out several scenarios, and that's where I came up with the 66 points. It gives us the most flexibility for this resort in the case of either scenario of use.

I actually spent quite a bit of time with DVCJohn's point chart working out several scenarios, and that's where I came up with the 66 points. It gives us the most flexibility for this resort in the case of either scenario of use.

I was just curious, my parents own 210 at BWV, which is nice because we will buy their points from them, or just use them occasionally and I haven't had to sell my wife on buying in on our own. Though if CRV comes to be I may be asking for letters of recommendation from the DVC crowd and asking for some sales support :rolleyes1

Anyway, I was wondering how people used the small point add ons, I suppose if you have such a thing at 3 resorts you can visit each every 3rd year via bank and borrow. But then you still have your big ownership at a resort as well. How often do you visit overall?

I see you live in Lakeville, MN - so do I.

I was just curious, my parents own 210 at BWV, which is nice because we will buy their points from them, or just use them occasionally and I haven't had to sell my wife on buying in on our own. Though if CRV comes to be I may be asking for letters of recommendation from the DVC crowd and asking for some sales support :rolleyes1

Anyway, I was wondering how people used the small point add ons, I suppose if you have such a thing at 3 resorts you can visit each every 3rd year via bank and borrow. But then you still have your big ownership at a resort as well. How often do you visit overall?

I see you live in Lakeville, MN - so do I.

Hey, hello fellow Lakevilleite! We actually own 380 points total at OKW, and will still mostly use those at the 11 month window and occationally add onto a stay at AKV at the 7 month window if and when it is available in that time frame. I suspect our usual choice will be to spend a few days at the begining or end of each trip at AKV though. LOVE the look and feel of AKL, so we visit there several times a trip anyway. Now I figure I can stay there a couple of days and get my fix and still stay at OKW too.

Ahhh, I guess I'm in the minority but I'd sell OKW in a heartbeat. For the record OKW is probably my favorite Resort but I'd still sell, and I did in fact.

What distinct advanatge do you have by owning OKW? None, really. How often do you need the 11 month window there? Maybe GV's or Christmas but even Christmas can be had at 7 months. So, no booking advantage there, IMO. No certain views that can be booked at 11 months.

Now OKW is also the oldest DVC Resort. Resale value will likely decline in the coming years. Selling now and buying back in will ensure you own a resort that will have a high resale for many years to come.

Finally, you could always choose to stay at OKW using your AKV points if you so choose.

Really, think about it from all angles. I really spent some time pondering it and running numbers and it made perfect sense to me to cash out of OKW now.

Good luck.

What distinct advanatge do you have by owning OKW? None, really. How often do you need the 11 month window there?

Good luck.

this is not only my favorite resort - but everyone else favorite.

I brought back when it was not expensive - and having to spend that much money for so few points.

believe me I though of it - more with BCV than AKL.

heck they would vote to get rid of VWL and BWV first.

Ahhh, I guess I'm in the minority but I'd sell OKW in a heartbeat. For the record OKW is probably my favorite Resort but I'd still sell, and I did in fact.

What distinct advanatge do you have by owning OKW? None, really. How often do you need the 11 month window there? Maybe GV's or Christams but evn Christmas can be had at 7 months. So, no booking advantage there, IMO. No certain views that can be booked at 11 months.

Now OKW is also the oldest DVC Resort. Resale value will likely decline in the coming years. Selling now and buying back in will ensure you own a resort that will have a high resale for amny years to come.

Finally, you could always choose to stay at OKW using your AKV points if you so choose.

Really, think about it from all angles. I really spent some time pondering it and running numbers and it made perfect sense to me to cash out of OKW now.

Good luck.
There are other factors to be considered here. For one, the age of the member. Like myself and my DW, Diane and her DH are, let's just say, 'older' than the average member. Having a resort that doesn't expire unto 2057 could be meaningless. In my case I'd be 113 years old! (This is especially true if one's offspring aren't Disney fanatics and wouldn't be using the points themselves)

Then, let's say someone sells 150 OKW points and receives $85/point ($12,750). They'd get about $11,475 after commission. If they bought at about $65/point, then they would have a net profit of about $1725 which they would have to pay taxes on. So maybe when all is said and done they'd get about $11,000 total cash.

Then purchase 150 AKV points for $13,950, it means they would have spent almost $3,000 just to swap resorts. And if it is necessary to finance to make the new purchase, the 'swap' could means paying up to $4,000 or so.

That comes out to about $27/point to swap out. As for future resale, I can't even predict when the difference in selling price between OKW points and AKV points would ever amount to $27. That would be your 'break even' point, and could easily be 20 or 25 years or more into the future.

Finally, just guessing that since AKV will be a smaller resort than OKW, then like BWV, BCV and VWL, the maintenance fees will be slightly higher, which over time eats into the pocketbook. A difference of only $0.30/point in maintenance fees over the next 25 years, amounts to paying $1,125 more in maintenance fees for one resort compared to the other.

Finally, if one's travel plans can be very open, it'll be possible to get AKV rooms at 7-months, using OKW points.

Just my .02

Dear CaskBill and other esteemed number crunching Owners.

Youse guys is entirely missing the point....

Diane Schlicht is considering owning at ANOTHER resort, not just visiting, but owning :scared1:

And even admited to DH saying we can sell an OKW contract :scared1: :scared1:

Who cares about logic and finance when the world just turned over, and the magnotosphere reversed polarity?

-Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter