• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Want to know if a Costco Shop Card be used for future cruises/travel?

El Cid 94

Duty is the sublimest word in the English language
The short answer... no.

I confirmed this with a Costco travel representative today and she politely pointed me to the "fine print". It's still a good deal if you shop at Costco, but it cannot be applied to future travel. Hope this helps some other non-fine print reader like myself.

A good thing to know if you don't regularly shop at Costco, for sure.

The shop cards we got from our last DCL cruise easily paid for 6 months worth of groceries etc at Costco.

It varies by location, but most will exchange them for cash, which you could then put towards the cruise. Mine recently started requiring that you buy something, but would then refund the difference in cash. I just renewed my membership and they refunded the rest. If you have their credit card, and the credit card rebate is high enough, they just deposit it into your account too, making it easy to put towards a cruise. Between the credit card rebate and cash back, it's a substantial savings off each cruise.

I have heard that Costco does treat the checks (we get as executive members and credit card users) different than shop cards. The checks they will turn into cash, as long as your state allows. I have never tried with the shop card, we shop Costco lots and just use it.

Last edited:
We have used our Costco shop card for a new set of tires a couple of times. And most recently we used our shop cards (we had 3 staterooms) to take a huge chunk off of the price of our new refrigerator. Love the shop cards!

The Costco Shop Cards are not redeemable for cash. They can be used online and in the warehouses for merchandise and gas. Costco Travel accepts them for vacation packages (hotel and air) but not for cruises or rental cars. An earlier post mentioned the Southwest gift card - $450 for a $500 card. Its a great value -

I use mine on gas cuz it saves me a step at the pump

The Costco Shop Cards are not redeemable for cash. They can be used online and in the warehouses for merchandise and gas.
Be careful. They are now issuing a "Digital Costco Shop Card" that cannot be used at the pump. So if getting gas is the your main activity at Costco, you might want to reconsider using them to book cruises.

I asked and membership said they could transfer the digital shop card to a physical card. Unfortunately my phone was acting up and I couldn't pull up the email so I didn't test it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter