Warning about 3rd party tour guides

gottalovepluto

DIS Veteran
WDWNT link says they have multiple sources that have confirmed reports of 3rd party tour guides being trespassed for 1 year. This is an action WDW has never taken against these “guides” before and they are not being given warnings. You obviously shouldn’t use them to start with as they are not allowed per Disney policy but to anyone who decided to book one anyway might want to try to get your money back before they cease operations...

I met a few family’s last trip who had “locals” with them. Pretty much looked like adult baby sitters. We got talking to a family who had one with them. Thought it was a family member actually until we figured it out. I was trying to figure out what the purpose of having one anyway. We had a better plan laid out then they did. The other one we ran into was at tap points at rope drop by herself real early. Front. Next to us. 10 mins before park opening 20 people I kid u not roll up to the front with her paaaaast everyone in the line. Needless to say everyone behind this girl was pretty mad. Cast members did nothing. People in line somewhat dealt with it. This girl was actually mad people were saying something like she had every right. We couldn’t get over no one did anything. We were in line next to them. Family behind me never was there before. We got talking to them. I said follow us at drop to slinky. They followed. We got to slinky before the “guide” and the other family. Yah so don’t pay these clowns.

With all the planning that goes into a WDW vacation, especially for first timers, I can see the attraction to pay someone to "show you the ropes" and maximize your day. However who knows how "good" these 3rd party tour guides are. Just a gamble. Personally I've never heard of this. Must have my head buried in the sand despite going almost annually since 2010. Not worth the risk if Disney is now calling them out and turning them away

I also see why Disney wouldn't like, and forbid, it.

Being someone who loves to plan and research these services would never be wanted by us.

I don’t know what these services promise or how they market themselves, but I feel like there is a fairly large need in the market that isn’t addressed by Disney, so if these groups fill that need, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.

I think there are many people who would like to hire someone to be their guide for the day. To push the stroller, carry the bags, show them where/how to order food, get them a seat, guide them around the parks, help entertain kids in lines, help book Genie selections, etc. Like a Mary Poppins type of role.

Right now, it’s the VIP tour or nothing. But I think a Mary Poppins service would be a gold mine for Disney. No ride access or backstage access or anything, so the cost could be somewhat reasonable, but just someone to accompany your group and help you comfortably navigate the parks.

Obviously if these services mentioned in the article are circumventing rules or somehow gaming the system, I get why Disney would shut them down.

I'm surprised some people on here don't know about this. Its not a new thing, has been going on for years, don't you remember all the uproar when Disney changed to the new DAS system, as huge amounts were abusing the old GAC, doing third party tours with it and advertising that they have a skip the line pass.

Theres websites out there who are on trip advisor with hundreds of really good reviews, people will pay and they dont really care or or not aware that its against Disney Park rules.

Im wondering if some of the third party tour guides have been less cautious with Disney knowing and seeing what they are doing, or maybe Disney is getting complaints about them, so they are taking action now.

I'm surprised some people on here don't know about this. Its not a new thing, has been going on for years, don't you remember all the uproar when Disney changed to the new DAS system, as huge amounts were abusing the old GAC, doing third party tours with it and advertising that they have a skip the line pass.

Theres websites out there who are on trip advisor with hundreds of really good reviews, people will pay and they dont really care or or not aware that its against Disney Park rules.

Im wondering if some of the third party tour guides have been less cautious with Disney knowing and seeing what they are doing, or maybe Disney is getting complaints about them, so they are taking action now.
Yeah, I never paid attention to the GAC or DAS systems. Only knew about them at a super high level for those with a disability of some kind. It didn't really apply to our family so I stayed out of those conversations.

Now that you mention it though, it does ring a bell. I do remember the titles of threads regarding the uproar and changes to the GAC system.

Speaking of these 3rd party tour guides, has there been a statement by Disney as to why they don't want them in the parks? There isn't really a way for them to "game the system" anymore right? Is it purely to force guests to VIP tours as the only option? Are these tour guides trying to associate themselves in some official capacity as employed by Disney?

Speaking of these 3rd party tour guides, has there been a statement by Disney as to why they don't want them in the parks? There isn't really a way for them to "game the system" anymore right? Is it purely to force guests to VIP tours as the only option? Are these tour guides trying to associate themselves in some official capacity as employed by Disney?
I saw some conversations recently in another Disney community and had a nosy . Basically what these third party tours are doing is getting peoples Disney account log in details and using that on the day for Genie+ Lightning Lanes. People are paying for someone to help them navigate the parks on the day and do the Genie+ stuff.

The official Disney VIP tours used to go backstage for short cuts around the parks, and use exits as entries etc, but now they use the Lightning Lanes, so people want the service without the Disney price.

Its always been against the rules and most 3rd party tour guides get away with it as they dont tell people its against the rules, and people assume its ok to do.

Its the same with people doing unofficial photo shoots and having unofficial weddings, again all against Disney rules. People just keep pushing the limits and for many its part of the fun, to see what they can get away with.

Once upon a nanny offers in theme park help which include “VIP tour help.” Would this cross that line?

I really don’t see the big deal with the third party vendors unless they’re trying to get backstage access.

What if someone paid me to show them around the park?

I assume these are the relevant terms-

• The sale of goods or services, or the display of goods or services, unless prior written approval has been obtained.
  • Unauthorized solicitations of any kind, whether commercial, religious, educational, or otherwise, or conducting any unauthorized commercial activities, including solicitations of money or other contributions or donations.
But what I would argue is that no money is changing hands in the parks and any agreements were entered into off of the property. People are booking these services in advance of their trip. It’s not like these guides are approaching people in the parking lot on the way in. So it’s not really something that I would think Disney would become too involved with.

They have a specific clause saying no photography for commercial purposes, but it seems a little more of a grey area to enforce a transaction that isn’t happening in the park.

I fully recognize that Disney is able to trespass anyone that they would like, and they are well within their rights to do so, but I view this almost in the same vein as someone wearing a shirt from Etsy that has used Disney characters without permission.

*again, I’m assuming the companies aren’t trying to ‘cheat’ and are just offering a paid service.

Once upon a nanny offers in theme park help which include “VIP tour help.” Would this cross that line?

I really don’t see the big deal with the third party vendors unless they’re trying to get backstage access.

Cause they are making money on Disney plain and simple.

Listen I watched a “guide” sip on her Starbucks and then proceed to let all the people she was going to herd around jump in front of everyone who was waiting for 60 mins for rope drop. And then tell everyone behind them that she can do what she did.

We don't know at all who has made deals with Disney so I would never say yes.

Disney doesn't have a nanny service, so I would think that might be fine with them as they are guests personal babysitters, extra hands. There are families who will not come if they can't hire help. Many of these nanny services provide help at hotels and Disney lets them in no problem.

I agree, if you are just guiding them around and helping with kids and NOT providing anything above and beyond (like a VIP Tour) I don't see it as a problem. They are not the same thing.

I think I'll wait to hear from someone other that "wdwnt" as they are not a credible source. They just like drama.

Just an FYI:

Disney did NOT develop the DAS system because of some disabled tour guides. It was just perfect timing some guest decided to do an article saying they hired a disabled guide who then added them to their GAC pass. At that point the GAC was already horribly broken and DAS was being developed to prevent OVERUSE by holders, qualified and not. Disney took advantage of that bad PR to make the change.

Note the tour person the article was about worked for a tour company that set up travel for disabled guests. When many companies popped up to be 3rd party tour guides they thought it be another avenue of income. Their one guide was physically disabled and GAC could be used in that context. DAS eliminated that. I don't recall Disney cracking down on all 3rd parties, just those who were trying to use GAC for their customers.

I knew someone who was a tour guide for one of those third party companies. She had previously worked at SeaWorld as an educator (basically the people who stand by the animal exhibits and tell you about them). Her specialty was doing those third party SeaWorld tours not really for skipping any lines but for people who wanted basically a teacher/marine biologist walking them around, telling them about the animals, and answering whatever questions they might have. SeaWorld does something similar but I guess the third party does it cheaper. This friend also did tours of Disney and Universal too but I'm not sure what value it was. I guess she could have also read up on Disney and Universal history and trivia and be able to point stuff out if that's what people are really into. And since she did all the parks I think she said a family could book her for their entire Orlando vacation.

I assume these are the relevant terms-

• The sale of goods or services, or the display of goods or services, unless prior written approval has been obtained.
  • Unauthorized solicitations of any kind, whether commercial, religious, educational, or otherwise, or conducting any unauthorized commercial activities, including solicitations of money or other contributions or donations.
But what I would argue is that no money is changing hands in the parks and any agreements were entered into off of the property. People are booking these services in advance of their trip. It’s not like these guides are approaching people in the parking lot on the way in. So it’s not really something that I would think Disney would become too involved with.
It is not about solicitation or money changing hands, its about the unauthorized commercial activities. Even if the money changes hands and the agreement is made off-site the private tour guides are making money off of being in the parks with their tour group. And they are most likely using their annual pass to do so. The AP terms and conditions clearly state "Passes may not be redeemed for cash or used for commercial purposes and are void if altered or misused."

Coincidentally, I had family visiting WDW from out of town last weekend. They had hired one of these tour guides. They told us their tour guide got trespassed before their trip started. My family said they actually enjoyed the service more because the tour guide still made all of their plans, but from outside of the park. They got the convenience of the service and got a portion of the fee refunded.

I don’t know what these services promise or how they market themselves, but I feel like there is a fairly large need in the market that isn’t addressed by Disney, so if these groups fill that need, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal.

I think there are many people who would like to hire someone to be their guide for the day. To push the stroller, carry the bags, show them where/how to order food, get them a seat, guide them around the parks, help entertain kids in lines, help book Genie selections, etc. Like a Mary Poppins type of role.

Right now, it’s the VIP tour or nothing. But I think a Mary Poppins service would be a gold mine for Disney. No ride access or backstage access or anything, so the cost could be somewhat reasonable, but just someone to accompany your group and help you comfortably navigate the parks.

Obviously if these services mentioned in the article are circumventing rules or somehow gaming the system, I get why Disney would shut them down.
I’m a third party tour guide. I can’t speak as to how other folks operate, but I never gamed the system and I have always been extremely honest and straightforward with travelers. Basically, I would just walk them around the park, give them directions, help them navigate G+, help with their kids and snack trips and such. For some people, having local help during a theme park visit is a huge relief. I never promised anything I couldn’t provide, I never used or encouraged DAS… I was simply a local helping hand.

Many of my colleagues did the same thing. As far as using my AP for commercial purposes, well… hundreds of vloggers, photographers and social media influencers do that daily. So long as it wasn’t flagrant and I wasn’t soliciting or conducting financial dealings in the park, I didn’t think it would get much attention.

Until now, Disney or any of the other parks haven’t really had any issue with us unless we directly broke park rules such as DAS, skipping lines, etc. But again, I never did that. I was simply helping folks around the park as a personal concierge.

I’m very curious as to why Disney has suddenly, and without giving any reason, started cracking down and banning folks like us. I did nothing but bring more money to the company and help guests enjoy their experience a bit more. And I never claimed to be affiliated with Disney. At the very least, it would be nice to be given a reason.

What type of tour operators did Disney have to ban from the parks recently? I mean no other 3rd party guides could offer front of the line pass, like the VIP tours. So could they really been able to compete?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter