Warning for travellers on US entry requirements

queenie82

Queen of the 5 Castles
US deadline

Travellers to the US who have not registered their details online via the US Embassy will not be allowed to board flights from March 20.

The Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) replaced the visa system a year ago but up until now travellers who hadn't registered online were permitted to fill in a landing card on US-bound flights. But the Department of Homeland Security has announced it will fine airlines that let passengers without electronic authorisation on board. It is also warns that those passengers could be refused entry to the US.

The US Travel Association, the industry's peak body, is concerned the change could mean up to 67,000 people a month will be denied entry to the US, resulting in estimated lost revenue of $13.2 million daily. Roger Dow, the association's president, says 91 per cent of the 17 million travellers who visit the US annually comply with the regulations.

The association has asked the US Congress to fund alternative enrolment mechanisms, including internet kiosks at international airport terminals and at other ports of entry to enable travellers to comply with ESTA requirements.

Electronic authorisation is quick and easy and requires the same information as landing cards.

The free online authorisation remains valid for multiple entries over two years or until a passport expires. The US Embassy advises that details should lodged at least 72 hours before departure. US travel authorisation is made on the secure website https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov.

smh

Just to add to this, there was a bulletin at work the other day. The US government is considering charging a fee for the ESTA. Details of when and how much have not been released though.

That'd be interesting if they did.....I'll watch for that...
But I think it would be a BAD move... :rolleyes:

For now though people should remember there are NO Fees for this. Some people have been conned by false websites which not only rip money off you but you haven't actually properly registered.
This website only folks :thumbsup2
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov

Thought I'd cut and paste what we got at work so people don't fall into the trap of paying dodgy people as Queenie has stated above!

"The US Department of Homeland Security is anticipating having to start charging a “small service fee” for its Electronic System for Travel Authorization, which is now mandatory for all travellers to the US under the visa waiver Program. The electronic system also applies to travellers to the US by sea, but doesn’t affect those who have a valid US visa or US citizens returning from overseas.

The Department of Homeland Security is recommending that ESTA applications be submitted as soon as an applicant begins making travel plans, with approvals valid for up to 2 years. Clients are able to register for their ESTA at https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov.

Even though the approval is valid for 2 years, please ensure your traveller updates their details on the website for each individual trip once new flight details are established, you will need to keep your authorisation number as reference to update future trips. If you have misplaced or lost your authorisation number, you will not be able to update your travel information. A new application form will be required and your past authorisation will be cancelled.

As well as the anticipated new service fee, the US Congress is also currently considering the proposed “Travel Promotion Act” which could see a further US$10 fee collected from Visa Waiver travellers if the legislation is passed, with the money to be used to promote travel to the US. "

Another infor update on this excellent thread.

For those that have already got an ESTA. When you update your passport, you will need to submit a new request rather than updating using the existing authorisation number.

Do we have to remember the number they gave us because I lost 2 of ours :) woops, i think they are linked to my passport details electronically is this correct, I'll be utilising these airports LAX,SFO,MCO,JFK

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter