Warning: Stupid travel question ahead.....

wvjules

DIS Veteran
Will my Apple Maps and Google Maps work while I'm in Europe or do I need to do an update of some kind?

See I told you it was stupid. lol

(I have t-mobile One with no roaming charges so that's not a worry.)

They should work just fine. I use google maps everywhere I travel, which includes both the US and Europe.

Thanks, Hadley! I figured it would be fine but just wanted to check. We are renting a car for portions of our trip so I want to make sure we can get to where we are going.

I'm also assuming that you're staying in relatively populated areas - mapping function isn't so great in remote areas (but that's true everywhere).

They absolutely work. I am heading over to Italy tomorrow as a matter of fact.

What we also do, instead of turning on international data is rent a mobile hotspot that is unlimited internet. We carry this with us to have internet in the car, at restaurants and wherever we go. The cost for an 11 day trip with insurance is around $160. There are no limits, extra charges, etc. Just something to think about.

What we also do, instead of turning on international data is rent a mobile hotspot that is unlimited internet. We carry this with us to have internet in the car, at restaurants and wherever we go. The cost for an 11 day trip with insurance is around $160. There are no limits, extra charges, etc. Just something to think about.

Assuming that OP has the T-Mobile plan that I did, there is no charge for using data internationally (any limits are the same as whatever limits she might have at home). It was one of the best things about T-Mobile for someone who travels.

Well, to be honest, I would blow through my normal at home data limits when you consider data needed for large amounts of navigation, surfing, etc. and the need for data over multiple people and devices.

I was just posting my experience from many trips to Europe.

This sounds like something I would be interested in. This may be a dumb question but where do you rent it from?

It used to be XCom Global but they went out of business in November 2017 (our last trip as last September). My husband found a replacement company though. It arrived at the house yesterday, for our departure tomorrow and it comes with an envelope to mail it back in when we return.

I will find out the name of the new company and check back in.

There is also a company Skyroam where you buy the device (one time fee) and then purchase day passes. We may check that out depending on our results from this trip and what our upcoming travel looks like.

It really has saved us in several circumstances. I know that others use phones just fine, this is just something we have gotten used to especially when my husband's job required him to work on occasion from there.

ETA: When we go to Italy, we are there to speak the language and immerse ourselves in the local culture and we do not stay at large hotels, we drive ourselves everywhere etc. We are usually at farm stays in the country where they usually have internet, but you are not sure of the speed, etc. It is different than staying at a larger property in a city/town. This gives us the added benefit of being in control of our own network, so to speak. It is probably not necessary if going to stay in Rome, for a week, for example.

Last edited:
I have T-Mobile unlimited data with free roaming so I'm good with that. I just can't call anyone or it will cost a fortune. lol

ETA: Have a great time in Italy. I hope to go someday. :)

I used Google maps on the Kindle fire in London last year without any problems.

Have a fun trip!

Another thing to think about, since you are asking the question I'm assuming you haven't travelled overseas frequently... Most rentals are stick unless you specifically request an automatic.

But yes, both work just fine! I've always added the GPS option when doing a rental though (make sure you select one that has English..), it's typically an add on but it's little to no charge.

I do travel overseas but haven't gotten a rental car and needed a GPS before. Yes, I know the car is a stick and we are also paying a premium to pick up in one country and return in another. The GPS option was $18 per day. I'm fine with my free GPS on the phone. And an international driver's license isn't required with a US license and passport.

T-minus 18 days. :)

Albort, that is a nice feature. We used it last year when we did a new england road trip. We were in mountains several times with no GPS or cell service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter