was asked to leave store after DH and me have been in store for 10 minutes

Haha. Under normal circumstances my husband and I cannot shop together. He shops like he's being timed and races through the store in a haphazard manner. Even a list doesn't help.

I put our list in order of what aisle they are in, starting at produce and working to dairy. i found this especially helpful now that aisles are one-way. But I will still miss things and have to backtrack because I don't quite remember the order of every aisle.

I am also pretty impatient with other shoppers though. Then again, this is true of me when it comes to people in general.

When my wife and I shop together, which is the norm, if we miss something one of us (usually me) will go back to fetch it. But then we run into the problem of not being able to find my wife again. :crazy:

Clearly, many of us on the DIS were triggered this week by 2 people in 1 store in a galaxy far far away getting a can of soup. :rotfl2:

That being said, DH & I shop at Costco together. Costco policies allow it. We have NOT been wearing masks when we go and I'm not sorry for it. 75% of people out wearing masks right now turn their brains off when they put the masks on...they ignore all social distancing rules and act like idiots. I've lost track of the # of times I've seen people at stores constantly touch their faces when wearing masks.

Today, Costco announced that starting 5/4, all customers will have to wear masks. You know what? I don't own any masks. But I have some scarves. So we will Macguyer some make shift set up for DH & I when we go to Costco next week.

Let the tarring and feathering begin! :thumbsup2

About the 3rd week of March DH decided that we did not have enough in our pantry or freezers to weather the Covid crisis and I, who thought we had plenty of food, suggested since he was working from home that he would take the list we made and go shop while I was at work.

First, I made him get out to the store at opening at 7 a.m. I met him there about 7:15 after i was ready for work. I found him near the front door in the produce aisle.

I looked at the list and was like "Man, you have to get a move on. The rice, bread, and meats will all be gone before you get over there." I ran through the store like supermarket sweep and brought back those items to him still in the produce aisle and checked the list for the next items-ramen, cereal, tea. Shot around the store for those items found him a few feet from where I left him and said. "Ok, good luck, I have to go to work now."

Three hours later he made it home. Granted he did go to a second store for meats that were not found at the first store.

We still have a full pantry and freezers. And I am glad that we do have a supply of food.

I was the primary shopper for 20 years and within the last year he would accompany me to the store and stay on his cell phone watching the basket while I picked up items.... :confused3:confused3

He just didn't think he needed to pay attention while I shopped.

His dad, however, is a pro at commissary grocery shopping and has shopped for their groceries every week for years.

Last night I had a meeting and DH had to make dinner. So proud of him that he googled a recipe and put together a tasty meal. He is learning.

Maybe there will be another few good things coming out of Covid for us.

people out wearing masks right now turn their brains off when they put the masks on...they ignore all social distancing rules
I can't say how many people are doing this but for sure part of my concern is we all tend to fall back on false senses of security. Much like my thoughts towards hand sanitzer and other things. I have def. seen people walk around like normal and having a mask on. I'm not sure if they are like that because of the mask but I won't say that because masks are worn people will also always keep their distance.

Clearly, many of us on the DIS were triggered this week by 2 people in 1 store in a galaxy far far away getting a can of soup. :rotfl2:

That being said, DH & I shop at Costco together. Costco policies allow it. We have NOT been wearing masks when we go and I'm not sorry for it. 75% of people out wearing masks right now turn their brains off when they put the masks on...they ignore all social distancing rules and act like idiots. I've lost track of the # of times I've seen people at stores constantly touch their faces when wearing masks.

Today, Costco announced that starting 5/4, all customers will have to wear masks. You know what? I don't own any masks. But I have some scarves. So we will Macguyer some make shift set up for DH & I when we go to Costco next week.

Let the tarring and feathering begin! :thumbsup2

I definitely noticed that about the masks. It’s just like with wearing gloves, they are getting false sense of security and not following any other guidelines. Besides half of the 30% wearing them are leaving their nose uncovered. I am guessing they, like me, felt like they were suffocating, but still.

I’ve noticed the opposite in my area. Most people who wear masks seem mindful and aware of their spatial boundaries and respectful of others. Most of the people who are not wearing masks, don't follow social distancing rules.

I’ve noticed the opposite in my area. Most people who wear masks seem mindful and aware of their spatial boundaries and respectful of others. Most of the people who are not wearing masks, don't follow social distancing rules.
It'll probably get better over time as masks become more norm, required or just strongly suggested for the time deemed necessarily. But it's for sure happening. It's an easy thing to fall back on because of all the talk and GIFs reflecting how much a mask stops this and that from the person wearing it. Gotta just keep both in mind to wear a mask and social distance when directed to.

Some may be specific locations of places. I know I spoke weeks ago how one Walmart in an area we don't normally go to was so bad at keeping apart it was crazy whereas the Walmart we normally go to people were a lot better (not perfect but tremendously better).

We all have to be careful about characterizing people based on mask or no mask IMO. A person not wearing a mask is easily as capable of being aware of their spatial boundaries and respectful of others just as much as someone wearing a mask. And the opposite is also true. A person wearing a mask is capable of not being aware of their spacial boundaries and is disrespectful of others just as much as someone not wearing a mask.

In MY experience in MY neck of the woods at the stores that *I* go to, MOST of the people with masks on act like they are totally in their own little world and completely oblivious to people around them. A fair number of them have gloves on, too. The mask + glove folks are even worse...I've lost count the # of people I've seen rub their eyes, face, etc. with the gloves on...same gloves that touched the dirty shopping cart.

I purposely steer clear of people. I hang back and wait while the clueless shoppers walk within 2' of me, totally ignoring the store's social distancing guidelines, etc. I purposely will skip certain aisles if there's too many people in them...I can wait and I'll circle back to that aisle in a few minutes after the horde of 6 carts in the soup aisle are gone.

And this is at, like, 7 am when the grocery store first opens. When it's basically just single shoppers, not couples, not 1 parent + a kid or 2. EVERYBODY decides to go to the cereal, chip, or soup aisle all at the same time. If you have a mask on, I'm sorry, but if you're standing right next to me with your cart, that's not social distancing! Especially when you're fiddling with the mask every 2 seconds while standing next to me!

:mic:

Getting off my soap box now and I'm going to go jack hammer a slow hole to Wuhan in the backyard for the tree I want to plant. :-)

We all have to be careful about characterizing people based on mask or no mask IMO. A person not wearing a mask is easily as capable of being aware of their spatial boundaries and respectful of others just as much as someone wearing a mask. And the opposite is also true. A person wearing a mask is capable of not being aware of their spacial boundaries and is disrespectful of others just as much as someone not wearing a mask.
Well, sure. I’m just relaying what I’ve noticed in my area.

Our local grocery store now has the entrances and exits set up for one way traffic, as well as the arrows on the floors directing which way to go up each aisle.
They also have an employee stationed in the middle of the lobby who checks for masks (they will sell you one for $1.00 if you don't have one), as well as recording on a laptop every person who enters and exits the the store.
Recording what, exactly? Just the numbers in-and-out or stopping people to collect personal information? There has been a lot of talk here about how implementing extensive "contact tracing" programs will be an important next step in continuing to reduce the spread but I've not seen any procedures in action, nor heard exactly what all will be done.
Why do some of you have completely incompetent husbands? Where do these men come from? This is 2020, not 1950, right?

If I'm asking my wife about the grocery list it's because what we want isn't there. No Gold Medal flour, you want store brand or nothing?
Harsh. :rolleyes1 Just because some couples split up tasks and only one ever does them doesn't make anybody incompetent. And it hardly warrants pushing the "equality" panic-button. I'd have to ask my DH where we keep the vacuum cleaner bags if needed because he's the one that does the vacuuming. He doesn't cook and has no reason to know which brand of whatever is better. He does shop but would probably want to be sure he was getting exactly what I needed, if he was going to bother getting anything at all.

Today at Target there were double the amount of people in the store than last time I went (2 weeks ago). Groups of people shopping together. The only reason this annoys me is because they clog up the aisles inspecting everything. They shout to each other from the 2 ends of the aisle. They won't get out of the dang way. I do my part by standing back and waiting, but today was ridiculous.

I was also in a bad mood, because I wore a mask that made me hot and made my glasses fog up constantly. Totally my fault as I should have tested it before going.

The entire thing made me cranky and I am glad I bought enough food to last 2 more weeks.

put our list in order of what aisle they are in, starting at produce and working to dairy. i found this especially helpful now that aisles are one-way. But I will still miss things and have to backtrack because I don't quite remember the order of every aisle.
Ask at the Service Desk. Your store may have a guide of what aisles your items are in.

75% of people out wearing masks right now turn their brains off when they put the masks on...they ignore all social distancing rules and act like idiots.
Massachusetts Governor said, just today, if you can't socially distance, wear a mask. Still, it's a statewide rule that everyone inside public buildings - stores, offices, multi-unit co do/apartment buildings, etc. - mudt wear masks (and still socially distance). Some cities have enacted laws requiring masks outdoors, period - or get fined. I'd have to hide to smoke.

I am guessing they, like me, felt like they were suffocating, but still.
Not promising this will work, but try:
  • Pull a t-shirt over your head, stopping when the collar is on the bridge of your nose.
  • Fold the bottom of the shirt up so the hem meets the collar.
  • Tie the sleeves behind your head.
I mean, it works as a mask, but not if you can't breath through it.

Ask at the Service Desk. Your store may have a guide of what aisles your items are in.

Oh, no, see, I know what's in what aisle, it's just while I am at home ordering the items in my list I don't remember which aisle is where in the store. Is it cereal/crackers, then soda/coffee, then snack, then pasta? Or is it soda/coffee, then cereal/crackers, etc. See what I mean? I know rice and potatoes and pasta are in, but is that, but I can't remember if that is aisle 7 or 8. By the time I'm in the store, I know what aisle is what.

See what I mean?

Honestly I should just write the order aisles on a note in my phone. :)

Harsh. :rolleyes1 Just because some couples split up tasks and only one ever does them doesn't make anybody incompetent. And it hardly warrants pushing the "equality" panic-button. I'd have to ask my DH where we keep the vacuum cleaner bags if needed because he's the one that does the vacuuming. He doesn't cook and has no reason to know which brand of whatever is better. He does shop but would probably want to be sure he was getting exactly what I needed, if he was going to bother getting anything at all.

Yeah, you've got a point. My wife wouldn't be able to refill the whole home humidifier, for example. Although I'm sure she'd figure it out if she needed to. I would probably accidentally weed something I shouldn't.

Yeah, you've got a point. My wife wouldn't be able to refill the whole home humidifier, for example. Although I'm sure she'd figure it out if she needed to. I would probably accidentally weed something I shouldn't.

We have a family joke and always comment when we see Russian Sage blooming particularly beautifully somewhere and tell my youngest daughter, no touch, that's NOT a weed! A few years ago she pulled out a tiny shoot of Russian Sage that a friend had given me.

Oh dear Lord...I'm feeling faint just thinking about it. My DH actually yanked out about half my bed of perennial lilies of the valley when they first came up two years ago because he thought they were weeds. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter