Was just told that I might have celiac...

Johnacon

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker here. I've learned a lot from reading everyone's posts over the past few months. My wife and DD (who is 2) are headed to WDW 10/3-10/10.

I have all my ADRs done and I WAS fairly happy with all of them. Just went to the GI doc today and was told that with some symptoms I have that I may have celiac disease. I did a blood draw today and should find out for sure on Thursday.

So I could really use some help here. I am having a Disney dining panic attack.

We have character several buffet meals planned. Is it worth the cost of the buffets if you can't eat anything with gluten?

One weird thing about me...I run probably 90 miles a week. One of the (many) reasons I do is because I LOVE dessert. So any advice anyone has about the buffet desserts where we are going in terms of what you can have when you can't eat gluten would be appreciated.

All of our ADRs are for dinner and they are

10/4 - Brown Derby
10/5 - Beaches and Cream (ice cream is gluten free, right?)
10/6 - Be Our Guest
10/7 - Askershus (sp?)
10/8 - Tusker House
10/9 - 1900 Park Fare

Thanks for any insights anyone can provide with what is available at these places for the gluten intolerant would be very much appreciated. My understanding is that at the buffets the chef would have to bring me food from the kitchen so that I don't get anything that has been cross-contaminated at the actual buffet.

Disney World is the most gluten free place you can vacation at. They cater to people with gluten issues so you will find GF substitutes for almost everything. There will be GF hamburger & hot dog buns, dinner rolls, spaghetti noodles, and what not. Most ice cream is GF and Beaches and Cream will have a substitute if the regular ice cream isn't. Let them know when you check in to your reservations that you have a member of your party with celiacs and either a chef will be sent out to you or you will be given an allergy menu which lists which items are safe for gluten free. At counter service, tell the cashier that you have a food allergy and once again either a manager will come talk to you or you will be given an allergy menu to order from. You won't have any problems eating GF at Disney. Oh, and Dole Whips are GF as is the popcorn. ;) I can't help much with the deserts as I have several food allergies and my deserts usually are just Enjoy Life cookies or sorbets.

My 11 year old son was just recently diagnosed with possible celiac and we have a trip planned in November. The doctors are 98% sure but we are just waiting for biopsy results from an endoscopy for final confirmation. I had the same concerns and was surprised just how many options there are. I would recommend a couple of websites to look at: www.allergyfreemouse.com, www.disneyfoodblog.com and www.gfinorlando.com. Tusker House and Akershus seem to have plenty of options. I would keep your reservations as is and just talk to the chefs at each restaurant when you get there. I'm sure you'll have great experiences at each.

I have been going to WDW for years since being diagnosed with Celiac disease. (diagnosed in 2001). The chefs should know exactly what you can eat and not eat. Do not assume ice cream is gluten free and for a Celiac, you may have issues with dairy products. Let the your GI doctor direct you on what you need to avoid.

Buffets, the Disney chefs told me to avoid the buffets. This is due to cross contamination. You can't control other guests using the serving utensil in a dish a Celiac can not have then leaving it in a dish a Celiac can have. Even on DCL I avoid the full buffet line. Not worth getting sick.

Disney does stock many gluten free items. Ask, do not be shy and tell them this is for Celiac Disease not that you are just going gluten free. Two different topics, the people who think going gluten free is healthy messes it up for those who can not eat gluten at all due to the disease.

The allergy friendly new menu at the restaurants. They are addressing multi allergies to make it easier on Disney. Fine but it cuts out too much. I do not have a nut allergy, no egg allergy, can tolerate some milk, yet those get grouped with this food is good for those with these allergies. Frustration. Mama Melrose has gluten free pizza crust yet it was not on the allergy menu. Since I have been going to WDW for years because I can actually eat without worry there, I knew to ask. It does not cover enough allergies yet they do have it. The tomato soup/Paneer cheese dish at Sanaa is also not on the allergy menu yet it is gluten free. The Naan that was the most amazing gluten free naan, looked like regular, has been discontinued! It did not meet the multiple allergy requirements that the head Disney people wanted.

Since you are going and are new at this, request the chef. The chef will tell you if the ice cream at the Beaches and Cream is OK. They will also check out all the toppings.

Enjoy your trip.

I need to add, the reason for allergy menu was that the chefs were constantly being called out to the tables. Many gluten free people had discussions with the chef only for the chef to learn the person was just doing gluten free as a life style choice. I know this because we go every 6 weeks and the chefs recognize me. (We stay at Disney some and also have a vacation home near by) The chef would spend the time then hear, oh well, I am not allergic I just try to avoid gluten so I will go ahead and order what ever item it was they wanted. That is frustration for the chefs and for the people with the disease.

The allergy friendly menu list Vegan items, now that is a life style choice not an allergy. You will see many of the gluten free selections are also Vegan. Vegetarian dishes are on the regular menu so the Vegan dishes should be too. I had servers tell me, oh yes it is Vegan too. My response is I don't care, I care about my allergy not people choosing to be Vegan. Once you start making gluten free breads you will understand items Disney wants left out must be included for the bread product to have good quality.

Good luck with your learning the how to live with Celiac disease, it is not as terrible as those who are not Celiacs think it is. Gluten is a protein naturally found in grains and Celiac people can not digest this protein. It does not gum up a humans inside like I have heard some people claim. If you can digest it great, avoiding it won't make you healthier. Read ingredients on what you buy. Fortunately Disney Chefs are the best at dealing with allergies. Just watch out for the Buffets and that came from many of the Disney chefs.

Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter