Was there ever, in Disney's history...

The late 70's were an actual tough time for Disney parks. The OPEC embargo combined with Disney World getting stagnant in the post-Walt, pre-Eisner era meant that Disney was a one and done trip for many people, and they spent more time going to the beach and local areas. Disney's lack of changes is actually what hurt them. It started to turn around when Epcot opened, and really turned around when Eisner went all-in on resort and park expansions.

Disney saw crowds fall post 9/11 and during the 2009 recession, but so did every other travel-related business. People weren't staying away because of anything Disney did, they were just avoiding travel all together.

Every time Disney makes a change, some people get their backs up and vow never to return. Many of them probably don't ever return.

Yet crowds get larger and larger and larger.

so very true. Right now WDW is still struggling with overcrowding and Business 101 says the solution is to raise prices.

I have only been going for a bit over 10 years so don’t know how it was like in the old days. But I remember the tremendous fuss over FP+ and how it was going to ruin everything. It’s kinda amusing now that people are throwing a fit about how much better FP+ was. Dis’ers just don’t like change.

I was really good at using the old FP. And then got really good at using FP+. Each had their pros and cons. I’m pretty confident that when I do finally get back to WDW, I’ll figure out how to navigate the new system. I hope they never go back to standby only. Been in other parks with standby only and it sucks.

Then again, my family always has an advantage in me because I always figure out the best way to navigate whatever the new system is.

Our local park is Cedar Point and it shocks me when my DD goes with her friends. They arrive a little late at 10am or so and leave by 6/7pm. They always refuse to plan or use any strategies and just wander around going on rides at their whims. They usually do about 4-5 rides, waiting 2-3hrs for a couple of them. And they all go home happy and excited about going back the following year. I imagine a lot of people are just used to that. My DD knows what it’s like at Cedar Point with a proper touring plan but is so happy to go with her friends she just sucks it up and deals with only getting to do a few rides.

People always complain when Disney makes a major change. Therefore people have no valid grounds for complaining about this major change? Not buying it.

I have been on the boards for almost 20 years.
Every time Disney changed something, it caused some threads of distress. I was always firmly in the camp of - I don’t mind change, I just learn how to zag when everyone zigs.

But this is different. I have not seen the like. The impact of Genie is going to cripple the experience of everyone, newbie and vet alike in the theme parks. Top threads on many different Disney fan sites are on the dismay ofWDW, consistent and daily reports of terrible trips from knowledgeable and respected Vets. The only real anomaly I see is with solo travellers and military ticket travellers.

But it’s not just Genie. It’s the entire direction of Walt Disney World is taking, the slow erosion of the magic of the parks and attractions under massive budget cuts. It’a becoming less Disney, and more Wallyworld.

Here is something that shows a real indication that Disney is messing up. Check out how many openings there are for the new Star Wars hotel for this coming May. It was fully booked a week ago. Now it’s 50% available. IN MAY. In fact, May 4 th was briefly available. Wow.

Guess what? The people who can afford 6 grand for two days at hotel are never afraid of wasting money. You know what they won’t waste? Their time.

Last edited:

PP's have mentioned quite a few: Oil crises in the 70's and 80's, 9/11, The great recession. These things are cyclical. Right now there is pent up demand and we are heading into the busiest time of the year. But if you look ahead, Star crusier cancellations, DL regional guest ticket sales for next year, sales on Aulani, you better believe that Disney will encounter hard times and have to yield rates to fill the parks and hotels. Right now, the biggest obstacle is the labor shortage, Disney will eventually have to give in and raise wages to fill jobs, its already happening.

Nearly all of the perks and extras we enjoy or have enjoyed in the past are Disney's response to a downturn in guests or external factors.

If you can't stomach the prices, just be patient. Universal is doing stiff business down the road and when epic universe opens, Disney will need to get competitive with their biggest rival.

PP's have mentioned quite a few: Oil crises in the 70's and 80's, 9/11, The great recession. These things are cyclical. Right now there is pent up demand and we are heading into the busiest time of the year. But if you look ahead, Star crusier cancellations, DL regional guest ticket sales for next year, sales on Aulani, you better believe that Disney will encounter hard times and have to yield rates to fill the parks and hotels. Right now, the biggest obstacle is the labor shortage, Disney will eventually have to give in and raise wages to fill jobs, its already happening.

Nearly all of the perks and extras we enjoy or have enjoyed in the past are Disney's response to a downturn in guests or external factors.

If you can't stomach the prices, just be patient. Universal is doing stiff business down the road and when epic universe opens, Disney will need to get competitive with their biggest rival.

I think "just be patient" sums it up. Disney can always lower the price later if the recent changes push people away. Nothing is permanent, even though some people react like Disney is changing forever every time a menu changes.

Why I think Disney Parks started going downhill was after Michael Eisner left and Bob Iger replaced him and Bob Iger thought he could make everything better for Disney Parks but although he did try the theme park attendance got lower and lower. I think what has really hurt Disney Parks is the pandemic and the fact that some of the magic has been taken away and won't ever return. Take for example character meet and greets have been ruined terribly and there are no more autographs from characters and all the characters do now is stand behind a roped off area where children cannot hug or touch them and they SHOULD'VE let kids hug and get autographs from the characters even with the pandemic still there. A second thing is rides broken and down for repair and I can't figure out why they can't fix rides and give people tickets to the ride when repairs are done. Another thing that has ruined Disney Parks is phasing out parades although calvacades are cool parades make the vacation cool but I think it was phased out for safety reasons and money. If Disney Parks returned to their former soaring glory prices would lower and it would be much better

Why I think Disney Parks started going downhill was after Michael Eisner left and Bob Iger replaced him and Bob Iger thought he could make everything better for Disney Parks but although he did try the theme park attendance got lower and lower. I think what has really hurt Disney Parks is the pandemic and the fact that some of the magic has been taken away and won't ever return. Take for example character meet and greets have been ruined terribly and there are no more autographs from characters and all the characters do now is stand behind a roped off area where children cannot hug or touch them and they SHOULD'VE let kids hug and get autographs from the characters even with the pandemic still there. A second thing is rides broken and down for repair and I can't figure out why they can't fix rides and give people tickets to the ride when repairs are done. Another thing that has ruined Disney Parks is phasing out parades although calvacades are cool parades make the vacation cool but I think it was phased out for safety reasons and money. If Disney Parks returned to their former soaring glory prices would lower and it would be much better

I'm confused, do you mean after Iger left and Chapek came in? Because Disney attendance soared under Iger. Disney World was more popular than ever under him.

Adding onto the watching the imagineering story on Disney plus, read bob igers book “The Ride of a Lifetime” because for some things he does go into detail and others he doesn’t, and what he does was informative. Also just a very good read overall

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter