• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Was Yacht Club...Now Wilderness Lodge

As an adults-only trip, there is something to be said for being within easy walking distance of the World Showcase and drinking around the world.

But this is if you have hopper tickets (allowing you to hop over to Epcot in the evening) and enjoy adult beverages.
There is that money thing again. LOL. If we stay at YC, with the extra day, it adds over $600 to the trip. And then to add the hopper is even more. UGH. I wish I had unlimited resources and could go with my dream vacation. One minute I think I am confident in my decision to stay at YC. The next I am confident in my decision to go to WL. I just keep reminding myself that we will be at Disney (for MY 50th birthday and her very first time going) so whichever decision that I make we will have a great time.

If you are planning for July 2022 you cant go wrong with either. YC is my favorite resort, but the pool is really crowded in the summer. WL is quieter and more relaxed. Bus service is really good to WL. Maybe think or a split stay....3 days at YC and 3 at WL? Here is another thought....maybe rent DVC points at the BCV or BWV.

I'm thinking about staying at the WL next summer also. I liked the fact that the rooms are inside the building so that if it rains, I don't have to walk outside to get to the lobby or food. I thought about the YC and BC but didn't like the sand feature of the pool. There is something with me and sand that don't mix lol. I've stayed at the WL lodge many years ago and I loved it. Very cozy.

If you are planning for July 2022 you cant go wrong with either. YC is my favorite resort, but the pool is really crowded in the summer. WL is quieter and more relaxed. Bus service is really good to WL. Maybe think or a split stay....3 days at YC and 3 at WL? Here is another thought....maybe rent DVC points at the BCV or BWV.
I like the quieter and more relaxed idea honestly. I thought about a split stay but since it's only 4 nights, I think it would be a pain to switch after 2 nights. But that is just me. And unfortunately, the villas would not work. One would get the king bed in the bedroom and the other would get a sleeper. We really need a room with 2 queen beds. Thank you for letting me know about the bus service. I was wondering.

Last edited:

Speaking as someone who loves SAB and walking to EPCOT, go for WL and the extra day! You don't have a park hopper or intend to go to DHS and you have a first timer who when they think of Disney probably thinks of Magic Kingdom and will enjoy arriving there by boat. The extra day will give you time to explore adult activities outside the parks like the monorail resort lounges, Disney Springs, ect.

Not to mention, the pools at WL are still lovely and the quiet pool at WL is great for adults since the kids tend to gravitate to the feature pool with the slide and splash area. Also, if you intent to hang out and eat by the pool, Geyser Point is a MUCH better quick service/pool bar than Hurricane Hannah's.

NO NO - the OP is looking for LESS options, not more!!!

There is that money thing again. LOL. If we stay at YC, with the extra day, it adds over $600 to the trip. And then to add the hopper is even more. UGH. I wish I had unlimited resources and could go with my dream vacation. One minute I think I am confident in my decision to stay at YC. The next I am confident in my decision to go to WL. I just keep reminding myself that we will be at Disney (for MY 50th birthday and her very first time going) so whichever decision that I make we will have a great time.
Right but as you wrote, then stay one less night at the Yacht Club.

But this depends on how much time you want to spend drinking & eating around the World Showcase, and also how often you go to WDW.

If you go to WDW once a year or less, then I would definitely stick with the Wilderness Lodge and the extra night.

I really don’t think you can make a bad choice between the two. Both are in my top three resorts, Poly taking the crown. I personally wouldn’t hesitate taking the extra day. If your options were CBR instead of WL I’d say keep your existing reservation. What I’d truly do is watch 12 YouTube videos on each resort and modify my vacation 23 times. Really, neither choice is a mistake. Have a great time! Let us know your final decision!
Poly is my dream. My friend was willing to stay there but I want to wait and stay there for the first time with my husband. He's bummed that I'm going without him. Lol. As of right now, my decision is to switch to WL. I would rather stay that extra day. And I think I'm liking the quiet side of WL.

Wilderness Lodge was a One and Done for me. It felt isolated. I'm happier in the Epcot Resorts area, where I can walk to other hotels and 2 theme parks.

And for that reason there are many who love the WL. I love the by itself feel, yet it's so close to it all. I quick boat ride to the MK. A compact resort that is a short walk to the bus stop. I've stayed there several times and love it. But with that said, I also love the Boardwalk area. I have stayed at the BWI and the YC and also love that area. In Feb. I'll be staying at the YC again for the first time in quite some time and am looking forward to it.

I would choose WL. I'm heading to YC a week from today and keep thinking of switching to WL lol. I'm at YC for my kids and storm a long bay. I find WL so relaxing and I love the boat to MK. There is also a boat to CR (not sure if it's running now). If I was planning adults only and wanted to be in epcot area I would choose the boardwalk inn. Another option is the swan/dolphin right next to YC. YC is a beautiful resort but the pool is just too hectic for my liking.

I am planning a trip in July of next year. It was originally planned for 4 days and 3 nights and we were staying at Yacht Club. The more I started looking the more I began to rethink my trip. For a little over $300 more, we could switch to Wilderness Lodge and add another day. Good decision, correct?
We have been Disney a dozen times or so. WL to me is very isolated. YC/BC has more action, better pool, areas to walk ( boardwalk), easy to get to two parks, plus skyliner ride if you wish. To me it’s a better area

I'd choose WL over YC because I like WL better. I like the food options there and love the vibe at that resort.

If Yacht Club is somewhere you've always wanted to stay, I would do it now. The deluxe hotels aren't getting any cheaper, and I would stay at your dream hotel while you can even if it means one less day. You could then stay at WL at a later date since it costs less. However, I will say I've stayed at Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge, and for me, Wilderness Lodge wins hands down. We've never had a desire to go back to BC, but I try to stay at WL every trip if I can. Love the food options, the relaxing atmosphere of the hotel, and the boat ride to MK. We did enjoy Stormalong Bay, but we did not prefer the food options at BC/YC. Have a great trip whatever you decide!

I like the quieter and more relaxed idea honestly. I thought about a split stay but since it's only 4 nights, I think it would be a pain to switch after 2 nights. But that is just me. And unfortunately, the villas would not work. One would get the king bed in the bedroom and the other would get a sleeper. We really need a room with 2 queen beds. Thank you for letting me know about the bus service. I was wondering.

From the avatar picture it looks like you have a 10y which IMO says WL. YC with SAB drove me insane with kids who are old enough to be trusted on their own but 'disappear' into SAB. SAB has a ton of landscaping and pool shaping that results in limited views. I'd want to leave and I couldn't find them to tell them I was going back to the room.

As an adult I love YC, love the location and would always choose to stay there with EPCOT back entrance access, to avoid the whole diabolical presently going on out front, plus having access to multiple ways to access HS. My kids at 14 and 18 loved the WL. The limited food options was not an issue. The only issue was the bus transportation. If I stayed at WL I would focus on starting every day at the MK and using transportation from MK or the Transportation Center to other parks.

Thought: The pools and location of YC are great for summer. Stay there and add a night. To compensate do a non-park day. Take the $$$ not spent on passes to pay for the more expensive accommodations. Just a thought. Now if you have annual passes - I would probably go to WL. I really like WL but the rooms are so dark. But then that may not bother your family as you are not in the room much. YC is east coast bright and airy. All an opinion and we all like different things.

extra day and wL. We just stayed at YC and loved it but WL is another favorite of ours. As others said you can't go wrong.

Thought: The pools and location of YC are great for summer. Stay there and add a night. To compensate do a non-park day. Take the $$$ not spent on passes to pay for the more expensive accommodations. Just a thought. Now if you have annual passes - I would probably go to WL. I really like WL but the rooms are so dark. But then that may not bother your family as you are not in the room much. YC is east coast bright and airy. All an opinion and we all like different things.
I love the idea of SAB, but my friend, who is going with me, has never been before so I don't really want to have only 2 park days. And the rooms have been redone so they aren't as dark anymore. They are pretty bright now. I am still deciding. It would be nice if there is a good room discount and we could still stay at YC, with the extra day, for the same price i'm paying now. One can dream.

The only negative to that is that she is traveling with a friend, and they are splitting the cost. Both BCV or BWV studios would have 1 bed and one sleeper sofa. A regular resort room will have 2 beds. I know that I personally wouldn't want to be paying half the cost of a room to end up on a sleeper sofa at night.

We have been Disney a dozen times or so. WL to me is very isolated. YC/BC has more action, better pool, areas to walk (boardwalk), easy to get to two parks, plus skyliner ride if you wish. To me it’s a better area
We've also stayed at Y&BC and WL several times. Another way to look at it is Y&BC is hectic and WL is relaxing.

Which is better depends on what you are looking for.

Based on what the OP has posted so far, a longer trip at WL sounds like a better fit for them than a shorter trip at YC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter