Washington Commanders

I would have suggested the Washington Sentinels, but I'm not sure if that was already trademarked.

Other than that, some sort of pirate theme would have been cool. The Bucs and the Raiders already have that. Here's a thesaurus entry for synonyms for pirates, since "Pirates" obviously won't work since it's taken. Some thesaurases include privateer, but here's one with some interesting examples.

noun:​
buccaneer​
raider​
rover​
filibuster​
maurader​
corsair​
sea wolf​
freebooter​
sea robber​
sea rover​

The Washington Filibusters. I mean - it might work.
Freebooter would fit nicely as well.

it’s an improvement over their previous racist name so alright by me.
I agree, it needed to be changed. IMO, Commanders isn’t a great choice, but it’s not terrible either.

DH said "wait until they shorten it to cheer 'let's go Commies!'
I had that thought as well. It will very likely get shortened in headlines to Coms (or Comms), which has several other connotations.

I would have suggested the Washington Sentinels, but I'm not sure if that was already trademarked.
Shane Falco would've wanted that.

I like the circular shield. I think I would've stuck with Washington Football Team, or Washington Team Football (***) as I liked to call them.

All I hear in my head is Mrs. Packard from Atlantis. “Commander. Commander. Commander. Commander.”

Shane Falco would've wanted that.

I like the circular shield. I think I would've stuck with Washington Football Team, or Washington Team Football (***) as I liked to call them.

Someone already thought about that. It was just off the top of my head, but I figured if Disney could name their NHL team the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, then who knows.

https://www.sportscasting.com/is-ph...ll-teams-trademark-filer-a-genius-or-a-troll/

I looked it up on the USPTO website. I left out his address although it's public information after he filed a bunch of trademark registrations.

Word Mark
WASHINGTON SENTINELS
Goods and Services
(ABANDONED) IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Hats; Shirts
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code
(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number
Filing Date
July 22, 2020
Current Basis
1B
Original Filing Basis
1B
Owner
(APPLICANT) McCaulay, Philip Martin INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES ******** Alexandria VIRGINIA 22314
Disclaimer
NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "WASHINGTON" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
Register
PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator
DEAD
Abandonment Date
September 16, 2021

Freebooter would fit nicely as well.

I like nautical themes. I Commanders could fit that. But there are college sports teams at maritime schools that have interesting names. Well - actually a lot of "Mariners" and "Bucaneers". But we've got this one, although keelhauling is supposed to be a punishment.

2020-09-21-electric-van.jpg

it’s an improvement over their previous racist name so alright by me.

I don’t get why some team names in sports are deemed offensive and have to change but others like the Chiefs, Braves, Seminoles, and Blackhawks are ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter