Washington DC hotel recommendations

marshallandcartersmo

DIS Veteran
I've searched for and read the threads on DC, got a lot of good info from them. Looking specifically for hotel recommendations for a family of 4. Planning to go in early April, looking for either a great deal on a downtown "close to the action" hotel or one that's REALLY close to the Metro that takes us in the sites. We have ZERO Metro/subway experience, so the easier/more convenient the better. Thank you!

I recommend Marriott Gateway in Crystal City. The metro was close (by my standard) and easy to go to the Pentagon, Arlington and the Mall.

A hotel in Crystal City is my recommendation, too. Every major hotel chain is there, plus restaurants, bars, and the Metro. Crystal City is the area of Arlington, Virginia near Reagan National Airport (DCA) and just across the river from Washington DC. It's also where Amazon is building its new headquarters. Most hotels in the area will either be within walking distance of a Metro stop, or will have shuttle service available. Alternatively, you can use abundant Uber, Lyft and taxi options to get you downtown.

You will not find a deal on downtown hotels. Especially when Congress is in session. The Crystal City recommendations are good. Go to the DC metro web site and look at the map. It can be a bit daunting when you first ride it but you’ll figure it out.

I'm jumping on this thread. I'm taking 2 of my nephews to DC in June.

Last time I took a different niece and nephew, we stayed at the Homewood Suites in Silver Spring, MD. I found it convenient with a 4 block, or so, walk to the metro.

Is Crystal City closer to the city than Silver Spring?

We loved the Residence Inn Pentagon City. Close walk to the Metro, great breakfast, small kitchen and two beds and a couch.

I'm jumping on this thread. I'm taking 2 of my nephews to DC in June.

Last time I took a different niece and nephew, we stayed at the Homewood Suites in Silver Spring, MD. I found it convenient with a 4 block, or so, walk to the metro.

Is Crystal City closer to the city than Silver Spring?
Much closer.

We loved the Residence Inn Pentagon City. Close walk to the Metro, great breakfast, small kitchen and two beds and a couch.
I was going to make the same recommendation. I haven't stayed there in a few years, but I used to stay at the Residence Inn Pentagon City very frequently (I performed my reserve duty at The Pentagon, which is just a couple blocks away). In addition to the great breakfast, the hotel used to have evening socials with substantial food offerings--I always tried to go out for variety, but sometimes just felt like staying in! There was a full size supermarket, a huge shopping mall, and lots of restaurants in easy walking distance too.

There are several hotels in Rosslyn, VA, across the river from DC, a hip and trendy neighborhood, and has its own metro station.

Have you thought about Airbnb or VRBO? We just did Airbnb and it worked perfect. Enjoyed having a full kitchen to cook breakfast and then we also had leftovers.

There are several hotels in Rosslyn, VA, across the river from DC, a hip and trendy neighborhood, and has its own metro station.

Yep. Now that kids are older, we stayed at Holiday Inn right by the Key Bridge. Easy walk to Georgetown and only a block or two from Rosslyn Metro which covers orange, blue and silver lines. Before that we‘d stay at Embassy Suites in Alexandria across from King St Metro (blue and yellow lines). It was a little further away but still convenient. Plus Old Town has its own cool stuff.

I’ve stayed at this hotel a number of times as well and would recommend it. Pentagon City is one metro stop from Crystal City; both are good locations. Have also stayed in Rosslyn at the Marriott Courtyard. The metro is easy to navigate and these are all a short ride to the main tourist areas of DC.

If you are going THIS April, you need to move fast, being only a month out. As you may well know, early April is peak season for the Cherry Blossom festival and with Easter falling on April 12, many schools will have spring break then. Thus many hotels likely have limited availability.

If you have to stay further out, try for something in Old Town Alexandria or up in the Maryland suburbs towards Bethesda or Silver Spring. Good luck.

Hilton in Alexandria. Walk out the door to the metro. It wasn’t easy for me to figure how how to go about using it but now that I have it’s not that bad.

I've searched for and read the threads on DC, got a lot of good info from them. Looking specifically for hotel recommendations for a family of 4. Planning to go in early April, looking for either a great deal on a downtown "close to the action" hotel or one that's REALLY close to the Metro that takes us in the sites. We have ZERO Metro/subway experience, so the easier/more convenient the better. Thank you!

We always stay at the JW Marriott.

The location is great. You are a block from the White House and within walking distance to most everything else.

So many good choices in DC and one the easiest ways to pick a hotel is to decide where most of the attractions you prefer to see are near. For us a hotel near the Mall is a good choice as that is where we spend most of our time. I enjoy an easy walk back to our room followed by a shower and nap and then a nearby place to eat.

We normally stay at the Hay-Adams in a suite when there are 3-4 of us traveling but they also have 2 QB rooms. You can get a great deal on the inner courtyard rooms although at this point in our lives we opt for a Lafayette Park room which cost a bit more. Good pricing on the LP suites on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

White House is right across the street; the Mall is w/i a short walking distance and the McPherson Sq. metro stop is around the corner. The staff is professional in demeanor and long on memory. One of the few times we eat a leisurely sit down breakfast and leave with regrets as it so delicious. It's our favorite hotel on the continental US and we stay there whenever possible.

Our last DC trip in January the room rates were beyond the pale so we stayed at the Willard Intercontinental instead. Beautiful lobby; you might enjoy finding your state's seal in the ceiling. Service was up to the standards of this type of hotel; breakfast was included and you've a choice of buffet or a la carte (the breakfast at H-A is better). Also close to the Metro and the Mall, WH, Chinatown, and Washington Monument. We stayed in the Matthew Perry suite which is quite spacious but still requires a rollaway bed which we didn't realise until our late night arrival so one of us just slept on the couch. Next day they brought up the rollaway (very comfortable) and charged us a lower room rate for the prior night's mix-up. H-A is still our fav but nice to know there's a nearby backup.

It was quite cold so we ate at Old Ebbitt's almost every night (block and1/2 away). They had a special menu for Restaurant Week which allowed us to bypass our normal choices of oysters, oysters and more oysters. Departing day we had a brunch type meal at China Chilcano, a Jose Andres restaurant that was conveniently close and not far from Ford's Theatre too.

Speaking of food, if you are touring the Mall, don't miss the cafeteria type operation at the African American Museum; good prices, well made tasty dishes and lots of seats. They frequently run out of food around 2:00 PM (yes, it's that popular) so go for the more crowded but fast moving early lunch. The American Indian Museum also has a widely regarded lunch which we arrived too late to eat at; next time. The Pavilion Café @ the Sculpture Gallery is a nice backup and seems to have longer hours.

Have fun wherever you stay and whatever you do; DC is fun!

My very favorite (though not inexpensive) hotel in D.C. is the Willard. So much history and in walking distance of so many things!

I second Alexandria. Either the Hilton or Embassy Suites. The Metro is right across the street from the Embassy Suites & next door to the Hilton. We had no experience with subways/ public transportation before our trip 2 years ago either. I am happy to say we got the hang of it really quickly. We were so happy with the location we just went back this past September. We stayed at the Embassy Suites 2 years ago & the Hilton this time. Embassy Suites has a living room & bedroom, nice if the kids go to sleep earlier that you. And it includes breakfast.

How are you getting there? Regan National Airport is just a few stops away from Alexandria too. So an easy transfer. Everything is really accessible from the Metro. The stops are clearly marked & announced. Just pick up a map to see which line to take. The lines are color coded & again, as a novice, I had no trouble figuring it out. If you can navigate WDW transportation, you can do the DC Metro!

We are staying at the Courtyard in Dunn Loring the first weekend in April. It is a couple of blocks from the metro station. Several restaurants within a short walk. There is no breakfast offered but there is a grocery store across the street. We have stayed there several times. I always feel safe in the neighborhood. It is less expensive than staying closer in the city and rooms are usually under $150 per night with free parking.

We stayed at the Hyatt Centric in Arlington, just down the street from a Metro station. It was a very comfortable hotel, and perfect for my group of 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter