Water Mice!

aDVCguy

"Have itch...MUST see Mouse!"
:disrocks:
Can anyone tell me if the BWV have water mice?
If so, where are they...nearest the right side of BW?
:) Thanks!

You have to rent them from the marina on the other side of the lake (behind the Yacht Club Hotel). In my opinion, I would rent them from the marina at the Wilderness Lodge hotel. Due to the water taxi traffic going to and from Epcot and MGM, the water mice that you can rent at the Yacht Club have governor's controlling their speed. I can say from experience that they are extremely slooooooooooow! The water mice at the Wilderness Lodge go about twice the speed and are a lot more fun.

Vero Beach Bum

Vero Beach Bum said:
You have to rent them from the marina on the other side of the lake (behind the Yacht Club Hotel). In my opinion, I would rent them from the marina at the Wilderness Lodge hotel. Due to the water taxi traffic going to and from Epcot and MGM, the water mice that you can rent at the Yacht Club have governor's controlling their speed. I can say from experience that they are extremely slooooooooooow! The water mice at the Wilderness Lodge go about twice the speed and are a lot more fun.

Vero Beach Bum

Since the Marina at the Epcot resorts have speed limiters, Do they have the same age restirctions as the "faster" Mice from WL/CR?

I had heard that the Marinas with faster mice have higher age restrictions but no one knew for sure.

Ditto what Vero Beach Bum said. I've seen pedal boats that move faster. :rolleyes1

We made the trip over to the Contemporary to rent boats back in May and had a blast. They give a 10% DVC discount and were very generous with the time allocations. We were out for about 40 minutes--trying to get back under the 45 minute threshold--and the CM only charged us based upon 30 minutes.

Vero Beach Bum said:

Vero Beach Bum

I believe that the boats at WL, CR, GF, Poly (all of the big lake resorts) have higher speed ability than the small waterway boats at the Epcot resorts.

Yes the Epcot resorts have much lesser rules than the other resorts with the higher speed water mice. You have to have a license to operate the fast ones or an adult has to be there I believe. I am not positive, I was only half paying attention to the driver LOL. A child can drive the slow ones at Y&BC marina without an adult. I want to say 12 years old. Basically the water mice at Y&BC only go about 5 mph and the other resorts areas go about 25mph.

The Sea Raycer boats on Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon go well over 30mph--I want to say it's either 34 or 36mph, but don't remember the exact number.

Lots of fun (for those of us who don't often partake in watersports)!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dh and ds rented water mice at OKW this August. My dh told the CM at Hank's Rent 'N Return that the ducks in the water were passing him by :boat: .........the ones at WL are faster from past experience.

FYI - there is a height restriction at the marina by the Yacht Club. It is 5 feet. They checked when we were there our past trip.

We rented the water mice at OKW this August. The age to drive was 12 and we were told they go 5 MPH. Fast enough for me with my 12 YO DS driving :scared1:

And when we went to charge the rental to the room the CM asked us if we had an annual pass because the discount for the annual pass was 15% vs the 10% DVC discount. We thought that was very nice of the CM.

Wow~great info everyone! I have a couple of questions still...

With a height restriction of 5", is this for "drivers" or passengers as well?? What license is required?? A boat license, or a driver's license? And here's the big question. What is the price? I've found $45, $65, and then was told (today!) by Sammy Duvall's Watersports Centre (the people who run it at WDW) that it's either $25 or $37 (he couldn't remember which).

tallpkb said:
Wow~great info everyone! I have a couple of questions still...

With a height restriction of 5", is this for "drivers" or passengers as well??

I'm not familiary with the height restrictions, but whatever it may be it only applies to the driver. Our 2yo daughter rode as a passenger a few months back. No problems.

What license is required?? A boat license, or a driver's license?

Driver's license.

And here's the big question. What is the price? I've found $45, $65, and then was told (today!) by Sammy Duvall's Watersports Centre (the people who run it at WDW) that it's either $25 or $37 (he couldn't remember which).

They have different prices for different intervals. It starts at 30 minutes, then to 45, 60 and up.

The $25 and $37 prices sound about right for 30 and 45 minutes respectively. Then there's a 10-15% DVC discount. I recall being charged for 30 minutes for our rental, and paying a little over $20 per boat (we had two.)

I love the news about a 12yo being able to drive at the YC/BC marina. If that's true, then my 3 children and I would be able to do this at Thanksgiving. My 13 yo son could drive with his 9 yo brother as a passenger(would they permit this?), and myself driving with my 8 yo daughter as a passenger.

tallpkb said:
With a height restriction of 5", is this for "drivers" or passengers as well??

It only applies to the driver of the boat. I am 4'11" and they wouldn't let me rent one unless my DH rode with me.

It should be interesting when we go back in three or so years and my DS10 will be over 5' tall (he's an inch shorter than I right now) and he'll have to chaperone me. :flower:

:goodvibes
Speed Boats, :wave2:
w/ Mercury Motors on them.
Just so you know...
when you go to rent them, the fastest WaterMice are those rented @ The Grand Floridian, Polynesian and the Contemporary Resort!
These travel, so I've heard, 30 m.p.h. while @ the other resorts that have
them run @ about half to less than half the speed of the 3 resorts mentioned above!

They're 1-2 person water craft ('lil speed boats). I'll add the WL to the list aDVCguy mentioned. We found the ones at OKW to be slow. Here's a pic of my dh riding one this past August at OKW :
f246a607.jpg

The price is around $20+ dollars for 30 minutes.

WL mice have the driver license restriction. AGE is not considered. Since NJ kids don't get their license until 17 my 16 year old couldn't take one out alone a WL.(He was NOT happy!) YC mice are so slow it isn't worth the money, unless you're taking very little ones with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter