water parks and wheelchairs

BethCPTSD

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
I just had a question about the water parks at WDW which I have not been to (TL and BB.) I have limited mobility specifically related to POTS and other illnesses that also cause extreme fatigue on top of my ANS issues. I can walk short distances, but use my chair when I'm out of the house to control my heart/lung issues and fatigue. At the water parks, would I be able to take my chair up to but not onto the sand and leave it a short distance away from where I'd be? Is it like the regular parks where you can park it and come back to it later? And is it very far away? I wouldn't be going on slides, more like beach access and (I think they have a lazy river?)

Any info in this regard would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Beth

I don't know the answer, but I have always been curious how the water parks work for wheelchair users. I know some water parks out there will loan you a chair that you can even take into the water if necessary, but not sure about Disney.

We brought my son's rental wheelchair with us to TL last year. We left it at our chairs, right near an entrance point to the lazy river. We spent most of our time in the the lazy river, so we didn't really try to use it to get around the park (other than the arrival/departure).

Have fun!

We're interested too. My DH is a RBKA; we typically use a scooter at WDW because the walking is too much on his stump. We had pretty much written off visiting the water parks again but maybe someone an give us strategies???

Seems like everyone wants to know about it.

We do plan on visiting in September. Whether we take the scooter or not, I will report back.

Hopefully I can help...We just returned from a trip to both waterparks. There are a few wheelchairs in the parking lots for those that need help getting to the parks. We arrived early to BB and there were 3 of them available in the lot. The "parking lot" wheelchairs have high poles on them and once you get into the park you will need to go to guest services to rent a chair for the day. I believe it was in the $12 to $15 range. WELL worth the price for me as I have lung/heart problems which make walking any distance an effort. The day we went to Typhoon Lagoon there were no "parking lot" wheelchairs to be found but my husband asked one of the CMs in parking area and he actually went into the park and found one for us. We were very thankful for that! (I believe we did need to leave a refundable deposit when getting the rental). Have fun...wish we were still there !!

Out of curiosity, are their rentals water safe wheelchairs that could be taken into zero entry locations?

The one I rented was a regular non-powered wheelchair. You might want to call the water-park itself to see if they offer anything else.

This is 4 years old, but it provides some details about wheelchairs at the water parks.

https://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/disney-world-water-parks-pool-wheelchairs/

I’ve reasearched this some, but don’t have any personal experience yet, so I’m also interested to hear any other first accounts, and thank you kazlac4.

Thank you, Mamabun for the info. I went ahead and posted the photos from your link below:

POOL WHEELCHAIRS GO DOWN TEAM-BOAT SPRINGS AT DISNEY WATER PARKS
Jul 25, 2014 | By Jena Pugh

wheelchair-disney-waterparks_700.jpg

ba43f41dc61aabad284d414ed25e61c3.jpg

At Walt Disney World ®, water parks make getting around in a wheelchair even easier. Thanks to mobile wheelchair lifts, Blizzard Beach’s Gondola at the Chairlift, and even the ability to take the wheelchair with you on a ride, Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon ® and Disney’s Blizzard Beach ® let guests actually ride some of their famed rides and attractions with your wheelchair!

74f749912294748c50ef060690a722ca.jpg

Here’s how it works:
Available on a first come-first serve basis, Disney Water Parks have special Water Park Pool Wheelchairs available, made out of PVC pipes. These pool wheelchairs are a convenient way for guests needing one to get around the park without sacrificing fun. While not every water attraction at Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon ® or Disney’s Blizzard Beach ® will let you stay on or near your wheelchair, some will including Tike’s Peak at Blizzard Beach ® where you can remain in your wheelchair as you enter the zero depth entry points throughout the area.

Other attractions like Teamboat Springs, also at Blizzard Beach will bring the wheelchair along with you as you take a whitewater raft adventure through 1,200 feet of splashy excitement. Instead of sitting in the chair, you will transfer to one of Teamboat Springs’ rafts with your friends and family while your wheelchair is strapped into its own raft alongside you. As you bump, slip and slide down to the bottom your wheelchair will too, making getting off the ride and onto another one that much easier!

If you’re unsure which Disney Water Park ride lets you bring along your wheelchair simply head to Guest Relations and request a Guide for Guests with Disabilities. This will give you accessibility information as well as a map with a wheelchair symbol showing you which ride or attraction you can go on with your wheelchair. Once you find a Disney ® Park map, look for the wheelchair symbol with the following text:

• May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV
  • Must Transfer from Wheelchair/ECV, this means you are not allowed to bring your wheelchair/ECV on the ride.
  • Must Transfer to standard wheelchair, which means guests must transfer from their ECV to a regular wheelchair and then they are able to ride the water attraction.
  • Must transfer to standard wheelchair, and then to ride vehicle
To ensure you get the most out of your Disney Water Park adventure make sure find the rides that let you bring along your wheelchair and you’ll be enjoying tons of splashes in no time! As always you can find discounted Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon ® and Disney’s Blizzard Beach ® tickets right here on Best of Orlando.

Orlando, FL -- 07/25/14

By: Jena Pugh

I was at TL today and definitely saw several people in ECVs and wheelchairs. I watched one lady drive her ECV right through the water stream that runs kind of between the wave pool and lazy river (sorry, not sure of the name of the area) so she was certainly able to get it all around! I saw signs for accessible entrances at the lazy river and at least a few of the tube slides (my son doesn't do body slides so I can't comment on those). I saw a lift at the little pool near Crusher Gusher. Unfortunately I didn't see anybody using any of these to report further, but they are there!

This is 4 years old, but it provides some details about wheelchairs at the water parks.

https://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/disney-world-water-parks-pool-wheelchairs/

I’ve reasearched this some, but don’t have any personal experience yet, so I’m also interested to hear any other first hand accounts, and thank you kazlac4.
There was a thread with this information when the article come out; I don’t remember a lot of discussion.

We have not been to the water parks for quite a few years, but did take our daughter on the lazy river. Because she can’t walk and is too heavy to carry more than 20 feet or so, we parked her wheelchair near one of the lazy river wheelchair entry points (with bump steps).
My one hint would be to make very sure you know WHICH of the entry points you used. If you get out too soon - no wheelchair! If you miss your stop, you need to go all the way around again (not the I did that :ssst:).

This is a link to the park maps for each of the water parks. They have access information; there is no separate water park map for guests with disabilities as far as I know.
https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...-overview/water-parks-03-18.pdf?1529515216650

Here’s a link to a past thread, which has links to other past threads.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/which-water-park-is-more-ha.3480186/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...ssible-features-at-disney-waterparks.3369563/

As far as I know, there have been changes as far as accessibility goes at the water parks.
The biggest change was that water parks used to offer free wheelchairs - they changed to the same price and deposit as Disney Springs ($12 per day and $100 deposit).

I also remembered we took my daughter’s own wheelchair into the wave pool - at one point, Disney had a disability guide that said wheelchairs could be brought into the wave pool to a level lower than the axel (the axel has a lot of grease).
The other thing I remember about the water parks was trying to avoid sand - you don’t want to get sand into the wheelchair axels or the brakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter