"Water Socks"??? Do you recommend them?

CWIPPERMAN

<font color=FF99FF>You don't have to be clever and
If you're unfamiliar with them, "Water Socks" are shoes that are designed to be worn in the water. They look more like a "slipper" that covers the whole foot. They are usually made of thin nylon (or similar fabric), and have a fairly thick sole (enough to give good traction and protection from gravel, and rough asphault)and a little "cushioning" (enough so that you could walk comfortably in them for several miles without blisters) in the bottom. When hitting the water parks, I was thinking that these could be worn from the time I leave the hotel, to the time I come back. This may eliminate the need for renting a locker, or finding a place to leave my shoes while I do a slide.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Does Disney allow them?

I have bought the "Wal-Mart Specials" before (about $5.00/pair), and they usually will hold up for a few days worth of use (I've used them at a local water park). For the trip however, I'd like to get some that are a little more sturdy, and provide a little more comfort. Can someone recommend a brand?

Thanks.

I definately recommend them, and I'm almost positive Disney allows them. The bottom of the wave pools can be pretty rough, not to mention how hot the cement gets in the afternoon. I have always bought mine at Target. I'm sure Nike and the other big names make them, but I don't see any reason to spend more money when you don't need to.

You may be asked to remove the water socks on some slides. I got a CM at one of the slides at TL that made me remove my Teva sandles. I'm not sure if she would have made me remove water socks or not.

But you can definitely walk around in them (or Tevas), use them in the wave pool, lazy river, and most of the slides. I've also used my Tevas on the tube rides as well.

If you're asked to remove them, just put them into one hand and hold onto them as you go down the slide; that's what I did with my Tevas (never mind that it was MUCH more dangerous to do so than leaving them on my feed; the CM was adamant).

But all of the other CMs at the slides let me go down with no comment about the Tevas.

So you may occasionally run into a CM that will make you take them off, but you can just hold them while you slide.

They do not allow them on the big slides at Blizzard Beach. I believe it's a safety issue, as they don't want the rubber acting like a stopper while your body flies down at 60 mph. :)

:cool: Used mine at the resort pool and when we went to Typhoon Lagoon. Great for walking around in there and I kept them on in Cast Away Creek and in the Wave Pool, but that's all we use, and they're tame things to do, so no one had any complaints about me wearing them. :D

Definitley use water socks!!!! My family and I wore them on every ride at Typhoon Lagoon (NOTE- We did not make it to the Big slides that day), but we did everything else. I did not have to worry about my kids stepping in anything yucky while barefoot. The pavement was very hot so it was nice to have something on our feet. I initially tried TL with waterproof sandals and ended up in a gift shop buying water socks (Very good investment!) It is also nice to have them while in the wave pool.

I hope this helps!!!!!

My DH and I wore them when we were at Typhoon lagoon last year. They really save your feet because some of those paths have thick sandpaper strips that can really hurt when you walk on them barefoot! The only slide in TL I think that you may have to take them off for is Humunga Kowabunga, the speed slide there. Since you're supposed to cross your arms and ankles, you can just tuck them under one of your hands. It really wasn't a problem for us and they definitely weren't restricted from the park.

Our last trip at BB, we didn't have water socks. My DS was playing in the wave pool and all of the sudden he starts screaming. He stubbed his toe on the bottom on the pool and bent his toenail all the way back. It was a terrible sight and an experience he won't soon forget (nor will I). First Aid told us people don't realize how soft nails become and it was really a common happening around there. So, for us, we will always wear them at the water parks. It's well worth the cost.

I used them, and I bought them a couples years back in Walmart also. They're even better when the weather is very hot, and the sidewalk, or even beaches are too hot to walk on.

My DW and I use these -- they are great. One tip -- make sure the elastic on the sides and back are smooth. We bought a pair in Ft. Myers one year and wound up with small blisters on the side of our feet. I thought some sand got caught in it -- it was a small piece of loose elastic.

We always wear these at WDW water parks. I don't wear them to the park, I change into them when we get there and get settled. But, DH has worn them all day with no problem. We both have the cheaper ($9) kind that we bought at the local drug store. I did try on a pair at the sporting goods store that were $35, but I didn't like the ultra tight fit, plus they came up higher on the top of the foot and were too uncomfortable for me. They are a MUST at the water parks for us.

My family of 4 all wore the water socks at the water parks two weeks ago. My husband had the expensive NIKEs and got a blister within 90 minutes. The kids and I had the cheapies and we were fine through two full days of water park activities. (We even took the stairs instead of the ski lift at Blizzard Beach without getting blisters).

I saw these for sale at Typhoon Lagoon ... I didn't ask how much they cost, but I'll bet they're expensive :rolleyes: I picked mine up at Wal-Mart before I left ... I like using them because the sand can get really hot sometimes ...

I would recomend them as well. The only place you can no wear them is on the high speed slides. Just take them off and hold on to them on the way down. They are great especially in the hot weather. I was at the resort pool one day and left the room to the pool eary in the morning without any shoes and was going back to the room mid day. The pavement was too hot ot walk on. I had to go back to the room one towel length at a time.

Hi Fellow KC resident! I just bought water socks for my upcoming trip last week. I had to go to several stores to find them- famous footwear, Dick's Sporting Goods, Kohl's, and Target were all sold out! I did find them on clearance at the Mission Walmart for $3! What a bargain! They also had "spray bottle fans" on clearance for $.75!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter