• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waterparks and water shoes?

Capang

DIS Veteran
We are taking our first trips to WDW water parks in a few weeks. Are water shoes necessary? We have frequented several water parks around home and never wore them however Fl is much warmer than home. Are water shoes allowed on slides? TIA!

We are taking our first trips to WDW water parks in a few weeks. Are water shoes necessary? We have frequented several water parks around home and never wore them however Fl is much warmer than home. Are water shoes allowed on slides? TIA!

I don't think they are necessary. I'm pretty sure I've seen people wear them, although I 'think' you have to take them off and hold them on some body slides (don't quote me on that though). Many/most walking areas are wet down with little sprayers that keep them from being lava hot, although you'll still encounter some hot concrete at times.

One place I wouldn't mind shoes is the TL wave pool. That floor is rough!

While waiting in some of the lines, your feet will be burning. I've done trips with and without water shoes in the summer and prefer to wear them.

we definitely wear water shoes. the ground can be quite hot as well as the sand around the wave pool at typhoon lagoon. i'm not certain, but i don't recall ever being asked to take them off on the raft rides.

I wear them at the water parks. Do you really want to walk bare footed where everyone else has walked with who knows what on their feet/shoes? Yuck.

Yes, so much yes!! And don't get cheap-o walmart ones, either. Fitting, comfortable shoes will make your day so much better. Cheap walmart ones, the insoles will start sliding around after a while. Get quality shoes. There are little water jets that water the walkways in areas, but other areas there are no jets, and are hot hot cement. Plus, random pebbles, or sticks, or other things you can step on. Some rides the lifeguards will make you take them off and hold them, but it's worth it.

If you are going directly into the wave pool, or lazy rivers, you can skip them. But if you're walking from slide to slide, then wear them.

Costco is carrying Speedo Hybrid Watercross swim shoes (hybrid shoes like sneakers but suitable for water) for $19.99. They retail for $65/pair.

I highly recommend shoes at the water parks.

I wear them at the water parks. Do you really want to walk bare footed where everyone else has walked with who knows what on their feet/shoes? Yuck.

Going barefoot into the restrooms and using the showers really grosses me out! We always wear flipflops there, and where it's hot pavement.

I wear my water shoes. In Typhoon Lagoon you do have to hold your shoes, but that's nor much of a burden.

We always wear water shoes - helps with the heat of the sidewalks and protects feet from the bottom of the (very rough) wave pool and lazy river. We walk a lot of miles at the waterparks so I also find that the extra support afforded by water shoes helps - legs and feet are less sore at the end of the day. I saw the Speedo water shoes at Costco as well - tried a pair on and find them to be very comfortable and light weight - will probably go back and pick up a pair before our upcoming trip. They are a real bargain at at $19.99.

I would recommend them. The walkways are hot! I have cheapies from walmart and they have served me well. You do have to take them off for some of the slides but it's worth the hassle to not have my feet burning by the end of the day.

I would highly recommend not using them if you haven't used them in other water parks. I can't stand them personally, would never wear them. Yes, the pavement can get hot in some spots in the park, but they do a decent job of watering down the walkways, so not all of the pavement is hot. The lines for the slides are never hot, as they're almost always wet. It's just the walkways to get from one part of the park to another that can get hot. I just hate walking around in wet shoes of any kind...nasty.

I think it's really a personal decision on if you like water shoes as a concept. If you do, wear them. If you don't, then don't, you definitely don't "need" them.

We always wear water shoes - helps with the heat of the sidewalks and protects feet from the bottom of the (very rough) wave pool and lazy river. We walk a lot of miles at the waterparks so I also find that the extra support afforded by water shoes helps - legs and feet are less sore at the end of the day. I saw the Speedo water shoes at Costco as well - tried a pair on and find them to be very comfortable and light weight - will probably go back and pick up a pair before our upcoming trip. They are a real bargain at at $19.99.

Just looked these up...they look great but so much like sneakers that I'm wondering, do they really let you wear these on rafts/carry them down slides?

For years I used to wear a favorite pair of water sandals, and then suddenly a few years ago all the parks (not Disney) started telling me I couldn't wear them on the slides anymore. Not sure why, since they allowed them just fine for the 15 years previous! I was upset since most water shoes don't fit me. I have very narrow feet and can't wear any kind of slip on shoe, actually. Anyone have any other suggestions for thin water shoes that have some kind of adjustable tie? (Velco straps don't always work either...many times they don't adjust tight enough for me!)

We went barefoot... the only time I thought about it maybe being weird was in the washrooms. Then I realized that we would NOT be licking our feet, we'd be hopping into a pool as soon as we were out of this washroom, and I forgot to think about it anymore.

I have plantar fasciitis and can't walk around barefoot anywhere, so I wear water shoes to any and all water parks.

I don't really do body slides, but I have had to take the shoes off on the few I've been on.

The water sandals I used to wear and love were similar to the original Tevas brand. (Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to what they look like.) Does anyone know if Disney allows you to wear that kind of sandal on their raft slides? That's really the only kind of slide I'd want to wear them on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter