Waterparks near DLR?

Maybe stay overnight one night in San Diego and do Sea World one day and then the San Diego Zoo or Natural History Museum the next day? Also, I recommend taking the train down from Anaheim. That would be a fun adventure for a 9 year old. It runs right along the coast line and is a beautiful trip. Bonus points for being able to go to the bathroom while on the train, instead of having to pull off the road if you were driving.
That's definitely a possibility. We actually went to DLR last year, stayed 5 nights in Anaheim for DLR, then 2 nights in LaJolla for SW and the beach. The kids loved SW but the beach was ok. The zoo or animal park would be fun!
Possibly the LA Museum of Natural History? That is a great museum and does have a good dinosaur exhibit. It is in an area called Exposition Park in LA (probably about an hour drive from DLR depending on traffic) that also has the California Science Center where you can see space shuttle Endeavour (make a reservation ahead of time) if that would be of interest as well. Another alternative would be the La Brea Tar Pits for dinosaurs/prehistoric creatures.
Yes, I think that's it! I've thought about the tar pits too, just wasn't sure how fun/interesting it is.

Cracks me up that anyone would be looking for a wave pool in CALIFORNIA.
Haha, you're totally right! The reason for this is we've gone to typhoon Lagoon the past two years at WDW and my DS spends 75% of the time in the wave pool so just don't want him to be disappointed.
We did this on a DL trip last year, my kids LOVED it! We checked out all the dinosaurs at the LA Museum of Natural History, then walked next door to check out the Endeavor. SO NEAT! Highly recommend!
So glad to hear you enjoyed it! I will definitely research this more!

Some of the beaches have waves that almost as good as a wave pool ;) Venice Beach and Santa Monica are good decently close beaches and a fun day trip for kids.
Well...those are a little far away 1.5-2 hours with traffic in fact. See my "CALIFORNIA" embedded link in my previous post. The closest beach is probably Sunset Beach and I do recommend that one if you just want to go to the beach. Seal Beach has a pier and a quiet little beach community with walk-able shopping/dining on Main Street. Huntington Beach is a bit more developed with more of a quintessential "beach scene". Those are going to be your easiest beach trips from DL, all have better waves than you will find at Venice/Santa Monica.
Thanks for the suggestions on beaches. I do worry about the temps, the kids don't mind as much but DH and do! The other thing that I didn't care for when we went to the beaches in La Jolla last year was the kelp/seaweed that was so thick, is that common everywhere or does it just depend on the beach?
If you are already planning on being in San Diego, I highly recommend staying over night and going to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido. We actually prefer it over the San Diego Zoo. It’s awesome.

Traffic on the 5 headed back to Anaheim is bad..... if you can make a day of it and go somewhere fun for dinner, you’ll save a ton of time heading back to Disneyland at 7pm or later. I highly recommend Old Town for Mexican food. It’s close to Sea World. Lots of options along the way in North County as well.

Which hotel are you staying at? Pool day if you don’t want to drive anywhere????
Thanks for the suggestions for San Diego, we might just check out the Mexican restaurant. Last time we were in San Diego we ate at Cheesecake Factory because our closest one where we live is 3 hours away and we didn't know where to eat. I'll check into the safari park, I hadn't heard of it before, thanks!
We're staying at the Four Points Sheraton. We were able to get it all on points/free night certificates so it was a great deal. Their pool is pretty basic, so fine for afternoon breaks but probably not enough for a whole day.
The ocean is extremely unpredictable. I wouldn't blame any parent for taking their kids to a water park, to experience controlled waves.
Plus the water is freezing until August unless you’re in a wetsuit.

Being from Kansas I feel a little silly being picky about beaches, and just being around the ocean is a treat for us. It's just a matter of figuring out what activities the whole family will enjoy the most. There's so much to do in the SoCal area, and only so many vacation days to do them! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

Thanks for the suggestions for San Diego, we might just check out the Mexican restaurant. Last time we were in San Diego we ate at Cheesecake Factory because our closest one where we live is 3 hours away and we didn't know where to eat. I'll check into the safari park, I hadn't heard of it before, thanks!
We're staying at the Four Points Sheraton. We were able to get it all on points/free night certificates so it was a great deal. Their pool is pretty basic, so fine for afternoon breaks but probably not enough for a whole day.

Being from Kansas I feel a little silly being picky about beaches, and just being around the ocean is a treat for us. It's just a matter of figuring out what activities the whole family will enjoy the most. There's so much to do in the SoCal area, and only so many vacation days to do them! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

We live in San Diego so feel free to pm me if you’d like restaurant suggestions. We go to the beach all year and usually only get in the water July-September without wetsuits. The rest of the time we usually picnic at the beach and the kids build sandcastles. So that could be a fun day trip for you too if your kids like that.

If you want a water park this isn't far from Disneyland, you can Knott's and Great Wolf Lodge. They are both very close to Disneyland.

If you are going to stay overnight in San Diego, there's an Aquatica right next to the Mexico border.

Thanks for the suggestions on beaches. I do worry about the temps, the kids don't mind as much but DH and do! The other thing that I didn't care for when we went to the beaches in La Jolla last year was the kelp/seaweed that was so thick, is that common everywhere or does it just depend on the beach?

We’ve lived in San Diego for the last 16 years. Unfortunately, yes, the seaweed has become pretty bad all along the Southern California and Baja Mexico coastlines. We’ve been experiencing significantly warmer water temperature for the past few years and the kelp has really flourished in it. If you went to the beach in the La Jolla, it seems to me to be worse there. I think because it collects in the cove. I’ve found Pacific and Mission Beach to be better. The beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado is also quite nice, I believe they clear the kelp from the beach, but not the water.

As far as water temperature goes, my 12 year-old surfs and she gets into the water without a wetsuit year-round. I’ve never been able to get her to wear a full wetsuit, she feels too constricted in it. Most of her friends don’t wear wetsuits either. They all have a tradition of going for an ocean swim on New Years Day. Last year, they all swam for hours without wetsuits. But again, the water temperatures have been significantly warmer. The ocean temp has been over 78 degrees here over the summer and those temperatures have lingered well into the fall.

Another suggestion for a day off would be Catalina Island. You could do Sea World during the day then drive/take the train up to Dana Point, spend the night there and then take the Catalina Express to Avalon the next morning and spend the day there. This is my go-to trip for my usually land-locked visitors. There are no real waves in Avalon, but beautiful clear blue waters. You could rent lounge chairs at Descanso Beach Club and/or do the ropes course. Another really fun thing is to rent a golf cart and explore Avalon. We travel a lot, but Catalina Island is still one my daughter’s favorite places in the world.

The seaweed is not a problem in Orange County. Yes, the water is chilly but I usually just wear a spring suit from May 1 until about October. I am used to the Central Coast though and anything north of Point Conception is A LOT colder! Still, you should be OK for short swims without a wetsuit in June.

We’ve lived in San Diego for the last 16 years. Unfortunately, yes, the seaweed has become pretty bad all along the Southern California and Baja Mexico coastlines. We’ve been experiencing significantly warmer water temperature for the past few years and the kelp has really flourished in it. If you went to the beach in the La Jolla, it seems to me to be worse there. I think because it collects in the cove. I’ve found Pacific and Mission Beach to be better. The beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado is also quite nice, I believe they clear the kelp from the beach, but not the water.

As far as water temperature goes, my 12 year-old surfs and she gets into the water without a wetsuit year-round. I’ve never been able to get her to wear a full wetsuit, she feels too constricted in it. Most of her friends don’t wear wetsuits either. They all have a tradition of going for an ocean swim on New Years Day. Last year, they all swam for hours without wetsuits. But again, the water temperatures have been significantly warmer. The ocean temp has been over 78 degrees here over the summer and those temperatures have lingered well into the fall.

Another suggestion for a day off would be Catalina Island. You could do Sea World during the day then drive/take the train up to Dana Point, spend the night there and then take the Catalina Express to Avalon the next morning and spend the day there. This is my go-to trip for my usually land-locked visitors. There are no real waves in Avalon, but beautiful clear blue waters. You could rent lounge chairs at Descanso Beach Club and/or do the ropes course. Another really fun thing is to rent a golf cart and explore Avalon. We travel a lot, but Catalina Island is still one my daughter’s favorite places in the world.

Where do you get 78 degree water temperatures? we go to the beaches in North County from Del Mar to Carlsbad, and the water has never been higher than 72” and that’s in late August or early September. The seaweed also isn’t a problem up here.... you see it, but having moved here from Texas where sargassum has become a HUGE problem, the seaweed here seems very minimal. So maybe it’s just what you’re used to!

Please tell me which beaches have water that warm! Maybe I can actually get my 4 year old to get in the water!!!!

Sorry to derail the thread!!! You have some excellent suggestions that I’m going to file away! Thanks!

Raging Waters in San Dimas if you want the best water park in Southern California. Probably 30-40 minute drive from DL.
Plus if you like Donuts there is the nearby Donut Man in Glendora. It is known as the best donuts in the world and have only one location. The Strawberry and Tiger Tails are most popular there.
A good place to go after a day at the water park.

ME

Last edited:

San Diego also has good Italian food!
The beaches in Orange County are nice. Huntington is where the surf competitions are.

Where do you get 78 degree water temperatures? we go to the beaches in North County from Del Mar to Carlsbad, and the water has never been higher than 72” and that’s in late August or early September. The seaweed also isn’t a problem up here.... you see it, but having moved here from Texas where sargassum has become a HUGE problem, the seaweed here seems very minimal. So maybe it’s just what you’re used to!

Please tell me which beaches have water that warm! Maybe I can actually get my 4 year old to get in the water!!!!

Sorry to derail the thread!!! You have some excellent suggestions that I’m going to file away! Thanks!

I am not sure what kind of links are allowed here, but if you google “San Diego water temperature” and look at the news articles from summer of 2018 and 2019. Summer 2018 saw a 79 degree temp reading from Scripps Pier and 80 degrees in the bay. In September and October, Scripps Pier recorded 78 degree temps in September and October. I am not sure if the water is colder in North County as we don’t usually go to those beaches, but it’s definitely been crazy warm over the last couple years.

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes :confused3:goodvibes
We live in San Diego so feel free to pm me if you’d like restaurant suggestions. We go to the beach all year and usually only get in the water July-September without wetsuits. The rest of the time we usually picnic at the beach and the kids build sandcastles. So that could be a fun day trip for you too if your kids like that.
If you want a water park this isn't far from Disneyland, you can Knott's and Great Wolf Lodge. They are both very close to Disneyland.

If you are going to stay overnight in San Diego, there's an Aquatica right next to the Mexico border.

The seaweed is not a problem in Orange County. Yes, the water is chilly but I usually just wear a spring suit from May 1 until about October. I am used to the Central Coast though and anything north of Point Conception is A LOT colder! Still, you should be OK for short swims without a wetsuit in June.

Thank you everyone for the awesome suggestions and info. :thanks: So many possibilities! I think the hard part will be deciding which to go with! Looks like I have some more research to do! :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter