• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waterproof camera

Princess Denise

Mouseketeer
I want to purchase a water proof camera/video recorder for the cruise... Do any of you have one that you love/hate? And why? Can they be used for scuba diving? Thanks friends!

I would also love to hear recommendations for a great waterproof camera. We will just be snorkeling and playing in the water...

I have a Sony cyber shot TX 20.

Waterproof up to 15ft for 60 minutes.

I bought one. My mom and daughter also bought one after seeing mine.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 and I love it. It takes great photos and videos under water. I used it at Castaway Cay in Nov 2011 and was able to get great photos/videos of fish in the water. I've used it in our own pool and the underwater photos of my son are awesome. It's also great to have it as tough-camera -- I don't worry about sand or exposure while at the beach.

It wasn't expensive, but I bought mine in Summer 2011, so I'll bet it's now cheaper than what I paid for it back then.

You will hear varying opinions.

After a lot of research, I chose the Panasonic TS4 and bought a Lumix strap kit/silicone case to go with it. Also a 64GB SDcard, lots of storage.

Although the Olympus has a better LCD screen, it will consume more battery as a result. The Panny takes better video and does a few other things I prefer over the Oly. Interestingly, the Oly scores higher than the Panny in online comparisons, however, if you read DPreview where pros and amateurs comment on the particulars, the Panny TS4 stood out for what I wanted out of an underwater camera. Probably the only thing that could be better is lowlight shots. But that's usually indoor and when I use my Canon DSLR.

p1040167f.jpg

Whatever camera you buy, make sure it's rinsed well in fresh water as soon as you can after using it in salt water.
The seals can also last longer if you apply ArmorAll or a similar protectant before use.

I have a cannon elph 110 and the accompanying waterproof case. I asked for it for Christmas and I have used it out in the pool only. I have a DSLR (Nikon) but wanted something quick for the beach/water or times it is not practical to take my big camera. The Elph works well in low light and lets you have some control over your pictures more so than the already waterproof/shock proof cameras that were out there. The price was 149 at B&H and the case was 50 at the same place. The cool thing is you can remove the case and have a regular old point and shoot! I did make sure however to get the memory card that is waterproof, just in case. Let me know if you have questions.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a floating wrist wrap. If you let go of the camera by accident, depending how deep you are you'll have a hard time getting it back...

I had planned to buy a waterproof camera/camcorder, but after reading many reviews, I couldn't find one that I really thought would be great, so I purchased a waterproof camera bag from amazon for about $20. The sell various sizes and it worked really well for us. Just be sure to read the instructions because it tells you how to test the bag to make sure you're getting a proper seal. A nice cheap alternative to a pricey waterproof camera.

http://www.amazon.com/DicaPac-WP410...950710&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+camera+case

It does float, by the way.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a floating wrist wrap. If you let go of the camera by accident, depending how deep you are you'll have a hard time getting it back...

+1

I saw generic ones at the dollar store but not sure the quality, probably poor.

Mine cost $20, I wanted the case too, this is the TS3 version:

3066_std.jpg

I find the lifejacket type ones bulky and prefer the one above.

I had planned to buy a waterproof camera/camcorder, but after reading many reviews, I couldn't find one that I really thought would be great, so I purchased a waterproof camera bag from amazon for about $20. The sell various sizes and it worked really well for us. Just be sure to read the instructions because it tells you how to test the bag to make sure you're getting a proper seal. A nice cheap alternative to a pricey waterproof camera.

http://www.amazon.com/DicaPac-WP410...950710&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+camera+case

It does float, by the way.

Great find! But look at the 'fitting guide' - they have several models depending on the camera:

http://www.dicapac.com/manual/guide.asp

go to amazon and look up the kodak playsport, its a waterproof/shockproof/damn near indestructible. Takes great outdoor pictures and is also really good for video. I shot our entire disneyland vacation on this and it worked great.

Although I love my TS4 and use it in the pool, GreatWolfLodge, Waterparks, vacations, etc., I would not recommend the more expensive cameras if you don't plan to use it throughout the year. In that case, get the disposable.

I want to purchase a water proof camera/video recorder for the cruise... Do any of you have one that you love/hate? And why? Can they be used for scuba diving? Thanks friends!

I didn't want to spend a fortune because I have a really expensive SLR camera. I went to Costco and bought for 100 dollars a Fujifilm XP. It's really tiny so it is easy to carry or put in a pocket for active adventures. It is water/shock/ dust/ freeze proof. I was very happy with it. For one of our port excursions we went horse back riding and snorkeling. It had no problem handling the dust or water. We also were happy with the quality of the pictures when we got home.

GoPro Hero2 or Hero3.

It'll take sufficiently decent still photos, 1080p video, and its assuredly scuba capable. I rigged up a chin-strap to the head mount and dove my GoPro2 (in the scuba housing with a red filter) at both Cozumel and Grand Cayman on our last cruise. Worked like a charm.

Next time, I'd probably go wrist strap or some sort of hand-held rig as opposed to head mount. Got some bubbles in the footage and couldn't swap to still mode to take photos of things.

I also use a waterproof camera as my every day point-and-shoot. I use a Casio Exilim. This way any time you might be in the rain or near a pool or whatever, needing a special case or add-ons isn't an issue.

I got a Nikon Coolpix S30 at Target (currently on sale for $79.99). Takes really nice underwater photos or video, and actually takes fabulous 'normal' photos & video. The only issue I've had with it was that the LCD screen was a little hard to see in some low-light underwater conditions.
Sayhello

$69 at amazon right now, ship and sold by amazon!

$69 at amazon right now, ship and sold by amazon!

I got this for my daughter at Christmas and she thought it was fine. It is blue and came with the floater strap.

My other daughter got a $300 Go=Pro for her birthday (from my brother who gives her everything) and I didn't think the pictures were any better, and it was a little more difficult to hold and carry.

Nancy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter