• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wave of the future - Food Courts

DVC-Landbaron

What Would Walt Do?
I snatched this from another site. I was wondering what you think about it.
I spoke with a CM in CRO today who told me that they totally revamped the Food Court in the French Quarter for the reopening today. She did not mention if the menu was different but that it's now set up just the The Pepper Market Food Court at Coronado Springs . For those not familiar, here's how it works- As you enter, each member of your party is given a stamp card. As you make your selections, the card is marked to make note of each item. You pay for the entire meal at the conclusion (which my family thinks is cool, because it means that each member of the group can make their own individual choices -- without having to pay for their meals separately.) The only thing I don't like about this system is the automatic gratuity added to the bill (10% if I remember correctly). I gather from what this CM told me is that this is the wave of the future of Disney food courts at the resorts, that eventually they will all have this same set-up. I wonder if it's true. She seemed pretty sure of it. I guess we'll see.
I was at the food court in Coronado Springs just once, when it first opened, and was not overly impressed (although my parents LOVE it). So, fill me in. Good, bad, indifferent? Is this the wave of the future?

My only food court experince was at the All Stars. I thought it was functionally decent...and to be honest, it's the only place we're eating on our next trip (other than a Fantasmic Dinner). It's the exact same food, minus the plates and service (which I hate anyway). But it's about 20-30% cheaper!

I'm not crazy about the built in gratuity though....I thought that was the point of the food court, you take care of it yourself...no need for a gratuity.

Most people I've seen discuss the CSR Food Court, have not done so favorably. Most people strongly object to the 10% gratuity. I'm in the minority of people who actually like the food court at CSR. I thought they offered a bit more of a selection then other food courts I've tried at Disney. The 10% gratuity comes into play because once you are seated, a server will take your drink order and will bring and refill drinks for you, also clear plates and such. I have no problem with the 10% as when ever we choose to eat at this type of establishment where you serve your own food, but have a server doing those things mentioned above, we always tip 10% for these services. I'm very interested in seeing what they've done with the FQ Food Court. We ate there on one of our more recent trips. At the time we thought it was okay.

I have no problem with them changing to the CSR type of food court, but I can guarantee that there will be many people upset by this.

I have eaten at Old Country Buffet and had drinks served and the table cleared. Wasn't required to leave a gratuity, they got one. Also been to sit downs were a gratuity was added and the service was lousy. Asked that the gratuity be taken off and it was. One place resisted and I just told them if you wanted us to come back, just do two things. take the gratuity off and improve the service. I guess they did neither. They were out of business shortly thereafter.

This idea that a gratuity is required grates. The staff should be aware of the reward of good service. Sure some will stiff you but the vast majority will be fair, even generous. I'm talking about small parties (under 8).

Got a kick out of this one. Was at a high price restaurant once and the two tables next to us were getting lousy service. they both got up to leave about the same time. The waiter comes back and loudy tells the customer that a one dollar tip was inappropriate and it appears he needed it more and handed it back. The customer agreed and said your right and will give you two dollars. The man at the other table picked up on this and got up to leave and loudy said "good, Uncle Bob is leaving the tip, I don't have to". Never saw management move so fast!

Originally posted by HB2K
My only food court experince was at the All Stars. I thought it was functionally decent...and to be honest, it's the only place we're eating on our next trip (other than a Fantasmic Dinner). It's the exact same food, minus the plates and service (which I hate anyway). But it's about 20-30% cheaper!

I'm not crazy about the built in gratuity though....I thought that was the point of the food court, you take care of it yourself...no need for a gratuity.

I agree, All-Stars had a good layout. Same as the AKL food court. You walk into a certin line (one for each type of choice, like say, pizza and pasta, or burgers and sandwhiches). Then the CM with a iPaq enters your info and tells you a word to listen for that relates to the hotel your staying at (All Star Movies had Steamboat Willie, Fanstasia, and me, Aristocats). This system worked maricles for our team because it let us chose different things for different people. The principal could get the burger, me, the chicken sandwhich, and my friends, chicken fingers (ahaha, those are soooo good).

I think the 10% gradituity is just a cheep shot at us from Disney. It won't go to CM wages, just E$iner'$ (co-venture with Paramount Pictures and The Walt Disney Company) walet.

Although it's not my idea of a great dining experience, I've been to the CSR food court twice. It was ok, and we were in/out fairly quickly(which was a good thing). My understanding is that a 10% tip is appropriate at a buffet so I'm ok with that.

My thoughts on the CSR food court...
There was a great variety and the food was good.

Problem is, if you want things from multiple stations its going to take you forever to get them because at every station you have to wait in line....to order, then to get your card stamped, then to get your food. Just seemed incredibly time consuming when I had to get things from 3-4 different areas (dh stayed at the table to keep ds occupied...) I felt like I was waitressing for my family and it almost felt insulting to have someone else getting our drinks for us after doing all the rest of the work. Where was my 10% tip?

I really don't know why it seemed to take more time than a regular food court...perhaps just that I always ended up waiting to get that darned card stamped. I could have just paid and not had to wait in a line on the way out too.

My biggest suggestion is that for breakfast at CSR...skip the Pepper Market and head to the Maya Grill. Excellent buffet. Don't know if a similar strategy will work at POFQ though....

I have never been to a food court at wdw. I like the concept at times because sometimes we cant all agree on what we want to eat and usually everybody in the family can find something they like. The only thing similiar to a food court i have been too at wdw was the at Land building!!
But the idea of a forced 10% gratuity is total BS!!!!! The gratuity is supposed to be for excellant service and not just part of your meal unless you have a large group(which is also wrong as it almost guarantee's bad service). This is disneys way of forcing the customer to increase the pay scale of the employee's without disney paying for it. Just show's disney has no end of idea's to flleece their guests pocketbooks!!! I'll gladly stand in my own lines and do my own work rather than pay the extra money!!

I seem to recall that when PO-FQ first opened, the food court was something like that already, except there was no gratuity and you got your own drinks. But there were lots of different stations, and you paid at one central point after everyone in your party got their food. Last time when we went I was disappointed that they had changed the system. I like being able to look at food before I order. It seems like they could keep expenses down if they chose something and stuck to it instead of remodeling every few years.

I have enjoyed all my visits to the Pepper Market ( though the stir fry was a bit bland) and have driven over just to have lunch there. I agree that there seems to be a bit more variety here. The idea that you can go from station to station is a bit much though. The portions are big so you generally will just go to one place. The prices are to high for this kind of thing as well. Its not like you can go get a slice of pizza for $1.50 and a small burger for $2.00 and a salad for $2.25. The wet burrito is excelent but very big and $7.95. The do seat you and provide real silverwear and glas or ceramic dishes. The wait staff is suppose to refill your drink but that has only happened once for me. Not a big deal.
The 10% gratuity seems wierd to me. Why not just at a bit to the price of the food? In any case, when the trip is costing me $2000.00 in the first place whats another $1.50!!! ;)

This seems to be another example of the “scatter serve” concept that has been employed at the major new food facilities at Disneyland and California Adventure. In theory it is supposed to allow for faster service, greater choice and lowered labor costs. But its success has been rather sporadic in Anaheim. Then again practical experience doesn’t seem to count much in MBA-land.

I can’t remember if the charge at the Pepper Market is official called a “gratuity” or simply a “service charge”. This restaurant is not wholly Disney-owned and has a rather complex financial set-up; that’s the reason for all that paper stamping. A true gratuity would mainly go to the wait staff, but a service charge would mostly go to Disney as “landlord” of the area.

This restaurant is not wholly Disney-owned and has a rather complex financial set-up

AV a question - who operates the restaurants at AKL?

Also a more generic question - are a lot of the restaurants at WDW resorts operated by a single Third Party entity? Or are there a number of Third Parties?

The All Stars and Dixie Landings (it's a Joe Robbie thing) have the optimal food court set up (imo.) Gather up what you want from the various stations and pay for it all at once.

Dislike CBR's set up because you wind up paying several times if members of your party want different cuisines.

Dislike CSR's as documented by others above.

Dislike former PO's because you had to order from the checkout and pay first. I don't know about you, but I wander from stand to stand until I decide what I want.

Would rather PO just switch to DxL style.

I'm one of the folks that raised a stink about the "service" charge at CSR and got it taken off the bill. Really disliked that concept.

The Scatter service seems to work okay at the Plaza Inn at Disneyland although it is a madhouse when they first open the doors.
The scatter service at Rancho del Zocolo is pretty bad though. No one knows what to do or where to go. The lines back up in an odd way and crowd the door and then paying for your food takes so long it is cold by the time you sit down.

Disney is really becoming king of the scam! I gotta take my hat off to them, they really work hard at the fleecing of us guests. 10% gratuity ?? For what?? Clearing the dishes? Oh, the meetings that must go on at Team Disney! If you could sit in on one you'd probably puke from all the greed. Let's see, we can:

1) Raise prices 10%
2) Include a 10% gratuity for nothing
3) Take away the 10% AP discount.

That's a 30% increase !!

You know, some people have big B _ _ _ S !

Gouge, gouge, gouge.

Pretty soon, drinks will be $5.00 and a hamburger will be $15. Oh, and they'll be a 20% gratuity added on for the garbage sweepers. Give me a break!

Just terrible!

Roy

P.S. Con-artists and grifters will wipe away a tear of respect when they hear about this!

The Pepper Market is a THIRD PARTY restaurant, so the whole 10% gratutity thing has nothing to do with Disney!

I’m sorry Mr. Bstanley, but who runs the Animal Kingdom Lodge restaurants stumps me. In general, Disney likes to run the restaurants in the resorts (one of the reasons why the Pepper Market deal was noteworthy at the time), but business models seem to change monthly these days so things may have changed. And who’s running what also changes I’ll see if I can do some digging.

In general, outside ownership is usually a one-off deal. The Levie (sp?) Brothers chain used to run a couple, but I think they’ve dropped out. Most of the deals at Epcot are for a single location. Again, this isn’t an area I’ve been keeping up on.

I beleive that with the exception of the RainForest Cafe, all of the AK restaurants are Disney-owned/managed.

Not a problem sir - I wasn't planning on making a bid :-)

I have managed to eat at some pretty notable restaurants from Tokyo to Berlin (on the company's money :-) and frankly the restaurants at AKL are on a par with the best of them.

If they were being operated by a company that had other restaurants at WDW I was definitely going to check the other places out as well!

Has anyone here who is complaining about the 10% eaten at a Chinese Buffet Place or Old Country (one person did mention it) or Pasta Buffet places, etc. Do you leave a gratuity everytime or just once in a while or not at all? Also, have any of you gone to London and eaten in any kind of restaurant and looked closely at the bill for the inserted gratuity charge?

It seems that since this is happening at Disney that it is either gouging or a scam but nowhere else. If like some have done ask for it to be removed and leave your own gratuity (or none at all). It seems that the US is the primary country where gratuities are not included on the bill as the usual procedure. That is why most tour books for those coming here have sections on tipping habits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter