WBTA info

Mandlz

Mouse Lover
We're considering doing the WBTA in Sep from Southhampton to New York.

We've done 6 DCL cruises from 4-7 days and have hit all the ships but Wish so far, just off of a 7 day on the Fantasy in Nov '22. We tend to sail off season so somewhat used to slightly smaller crowds.
I was hoping someone could provide some guesses as to what things like the exceptation for kids clubs would be and how stable the (new) internet would be during the translant. I'm trying to scope out some remote work availability over such a long period and if our 10 year old would reasonable expect a decent selection of people she can try to befriend.

Also any information anyone has for ground transportation to EWR and any recommendations for Heathrow to Southhampton. We're Marriot people and would like as little hastle, financial and scheduling, as possible for getting from inbound flight to hotel then to boat and then same from getting from port to EWR and return flights.

Thanks!

We're considering doing the WBTA in Sep from Southhampton to New York.

We've done 6 DCL cruises from 4-7 days and have hit all the ships but Wish so far, just off of a 7 day on the Fantasy in Nov '22. We tend to sail off season so somewhat used to slightly smaller crowds.
I was hoping someone could provide some guesses as to what things like the exceptation for kids clubs would be and how stable the (new) internet would be during the translant. I'm trying to scope out some remote work availability over such a long period and if our 10 year old would reasonable expect a decent selection of people she can try to befriend.

Also any information anyone has for ground transportation to EWR and any recommendations for Heathrow to Southhampton. We're Marriot people and would like as little hastle, financial and scheduling, as possible for getting from inbound flight to hotel then to boat and then same from getting from port to EWR and return flights.

Thanks!
The last WBTA I was on there were 273 kids on the ship. Most were younger, but my daughter who was 13 at the time met a good group of kids that she hung out with and had a good time :)

There are no direct trains from Heathrow to Southhampton. You can take the express bus from Heathrow to Woking and then catch the train for Southhampton. You might also check and see if Disney is offering transfers, as they do to Dover. You can also arrange a car service.

To EWR, we took a taxi to Penn and then a train to EWR.

As far as internet... When we were on the TA this past September, it was decent (ish) until we got to the dead zone in the middle of the crossing LOL It was only about 24-36 hours and they told us to expect it when we got onboard and reminded us again when we were coming up on it. Now, we were on the Magic, not the Dream, so that could make a difference. I've had different internet experiences on all the boats.

We’ve booked the National Express bus from Heathrow to Southampton. It's cheap and they run fairly frequently. We did consider getting the tube across London to Waterloo station and then getting the train to Southampton But that was way more hassle.
https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Not gonna lie, I'm really happy we did our TA last year from Dover. It was SO easy and Dover Castle turned out to be my favorite castle of the whole trip ( and boy howdy did we see a lot of castles LOL)

As far as internet... When we were on the TA this past September, it was decent (ish) until we got to the dead zone in the middle of the crossing LOL It was only about 24-36 hours and they told us to expect it when we got onboard and reminded us again when we were coming up on it. Now, we were on the Magic, not the Dream, so that could make a difference. I've had different internet experiences on all the boats.
That matches our experience on that cruise. Good internet using the mid-tier package until we hit the dead zone in the mid-Atlantic.

A word of warning about the MOXY Hotel chain. If you are used to American hotels, these rooms will feel like broom cupboards to you. There is nearly no space around the bed. No real other furniture but the bed. They are functional and look very nice. But they are rooms for 20-something’s on a budget to go for a mini-break. There is no storage besides some hooks on a wall.

I would however recommend to check out the ironing room (no iron in your room) on your floor!

That matches our experience on that cruise. Good internet using the mid-tier package until we hit the dead zone in the mid-Atlantic.
Yes and it took me 5 trips to GR and a lot of complaining to get a refund for the three days I was unable to do anything

Hear the relative locations of the National Express bus station, the Moxy Hotel, and the Horizon West cruise Terminal (listed by DCL as the berth).

The bus station is the top right white dot. (Across the road is an ASDA Supercenter - WalMart, if you need any liquids > TSA 3oz or crisps or chocolates.). That 7 minutes from bus to hotel is walking time, not drive.

Stop A (Red teardrop is the Moxy hotel).

The Terminal is a 15 min walk / 4 min drive From the hotel.

View attachment 744642
We’ve booked the Novotel as it’s so close to the cruise terminal.

The 2022 WBTA had less than 100 kids, with only 5 or so eligible for the nursery.

For working remote. Try to do as much as you can in the first week when you are still 'in Europe'. And get some hours in on 16 & 17 September while you are still in the UK. Maybe, find an internet café on Bermuda so you are sure you have proper internet to receive the e-mails from the week before?

I recognized the Novotel name, but had no family experience with them.

So I looked them up. They started in France, and now are part of the Accor family of lodging. That rang a bell - Accor owns Fairmont and Sofitel. I have had the opportunity to enjoy those. (I do not usually stay higher-end, but splurge on occasion.). I see Accor offers Ibis as its economy property - there are two of those in Southampton.

That TA itinerary looks fun; hope you have a great cruise. I would love the chance to try the custard tarts in Portugal. I didn’t know about them when we stopped in Funchal, Madeira.
You can try them in the US if you can find a Portuguese community near by your home, there will be a bakery for sure and for sure they would have them.

Hi! Where did National Express drop you off at the port?
Did you have a good experience?

Thank you!
National Express doesn’t drop off at the port. It goes to the Harbour Parade bus terminal and then you’d need a taxi from there to the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter