• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW 5 weeks post bunion surgery?

I just wanted to suggest buying some shoe lift inserts from amazon to help compensate for the height difference while wearing the walking boot during recovery. There are times when the lower back/hip pain from being out of alignment are more troublesome than the reason why you are in the boot in the first place.

I had bunion surgery about 22 years ago while I was home from college over the summer. Surgery was in June and I flew to Colorado in mid July. I was okay to walk around by then but still in a boot for long periods of time. I wasn't in pain, but I was still very slow moving. I was just visiting a friend, not doing touristy things, or I would have rescheduled.

For Disney, I would also recommend getting at least a knee scooter to help you rest. Or you can play it by ear and rent a wheelchair if you need it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel touring the parks currently? Does the bunion bother you? I don’t know your situation, but if my wife were in your situation, I would suggest that she delay her elective surgery until after the WDW trip. As the comments above suggest, you will be in some discomfort for one reason or another doing the parks in a boot 5 weeks after bunion surgery. I wish you the best!

I would highly recommend a knee scooter, wheelchair, or ECV for the parks. A walking boot around the parks sounds absolutely horrible to me -- no way. I had a walking boot for six weeks after I broke my leg quite a long time ago (six weeks with cast and crutches and six weeks with a walking boot). This issue with a walking boot for me is that my closest match with another shoe that kept me even wasn't an exact match (you are walking slightly off) and those shoes and a walking boot while fine for work or doing errands aren't going to be comfortable for the miles of walking you do at theme parks.

When I had the walking boot, walking was not a good form of exercise (it was just a way to get around), and for exercise just like I did when I had my cast (did a waterproof one) non impact swimming was what I had to do for anything aerobic.

I just wanted to suggest buying some shoe lift inserts from amazon to help compensate for the height difference while wearing the walking boot during recovery. There are times when the lower back/hip pain from being out of alignment are more troublesome than the reason why you are in the boot in the first place.
I had one pair of comfortable dress shoes that was the closest match to my walking boot (it seemed almost an exact match but wasn't) that I wore for six weeks when I was in that boot. After getting rid of the walking boot (do note that I have scoliosis), I had no problem with tennis (lots of back and forth and moving in different directions), but from being out of alignment for that period of time, I couldn't do exercise walking without back pain for a full six weeks. On my half hour daily dog walks I would have to sit down after 15 minutes for back pain relief to complete the walk. I went to a chiropractor, but that didn't help either. I didn't know if I would ever be able to walk without pain. Fortunately for me my body adjusted in six weeks and the pain went away. But it's scary when it takes that long. You wonder if you will ever heal.

Ok team scooter for the win!

I very much appreciate everyone's input. We are already going to have one scooter in our bunch for the first time because it's my cousins first trip after her cancer/chemo/surgery so why not add a second scooter to the mix? :drive:I ordered us twinkle lights to decorate our rides with. LOL. We were just talking about how our Disney trips have changed now that we are talking about the in's and out's of getting our scooters rented. :laughing:

I swear it wasn't *that* long ago I was buying the twinkle lights to decorate my daughters strollers with...

I've had bunion surgery and no way would I try the parks in a walking boot. Rent a scooter, it will spare you a lot of pain.

Sounds like you are comfortable walking now, despite the bunion. I would suggest finding the time to really up your walking game before surgery to build up some endurance in general. Beyond that, I think you are going to need to play it by ear - and see how your recovery goes. Depending on the extent of your surgery - you'll likely be walking pretty decently by then. The question just becomes how well, how long, what distance. You might see if insurance will cover a knee scooter rental - you could switch between the knee scooter and the ECV based on your plans for the day. Long day at EP - ECV, dinner trip to Disney Springs with little to no shopping, knee scooter, walking to the pool at your resort - hopefully just walking. But I agree having the ECV rented and planned for is the right now - you just don't know.

I used a knee scooter a few years ago to get around the house with no problem. But when I ventured out to Great Adventure( way less walking than Disney) I lasted about 10 minutes before getting a regular scooter. You use completely different muscles with a knee scooter and I was in absolute agony. So test one out at the mall or somewhere with lots of walking before you decide to use one at Disney. My vote is for a regular scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter