• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW 5K newbie question

momimouse27

Just a Big Kid!
I have never done any RunDisney event, though I've been lurking around looking at it for a while. I would love to sign up and do the 5K in 2021. I see that there is no pace requirement(I think, right?) I'm thinking of signing up myself and my 17(will be 18) year old son who is high functioning autistic. I know he couldn't run it, but he could probably power walk, as well as myself. I think it would be a good way for him to have a physical fitness goal, and he loves WDW. Does this sound doable? For those who have done it, what is the route? Thanks in advance :)

The 5ks usually run through Epcot How does he do with crowds? The corrals at the start are packed with people with no where to move. The course gets very crowded too but easier to be distracted seeing everyone’s costumes and characters.

He’s not too bad with crowds. He wears earphones to help with noise, but I don’t think the crowds would be an issue. He has done WDW with crowds before too.

It sounds very doable!

With regards to walking the 5K, you will be among great company! Many, many people walk the entire course. There are a lot of families doing this together.

Having said that - everything I've read on the runDisney site does mention a 16:00 min mile but there are tons of posts and anecdotal stories on Dis Boards about people taking things a little slower.

Another consideration regarding your son...there will also be a LOT of waiting around at the beginning. The Disney transportation starts at 3:30 for a 5:30 start. Later corrals may not start until 6:15 or even 6:30.

The route (which could change based on construction) starts in the parking lot and uses a back lot roadway to get to into Epcot (right by the Mexico Pavillion). Over the years, the particulars have varied but it has usually gone around World Showcase then up the main walkway into Future World then out a back stage access point and into the parking lot to finish.

Best of luck!!!! Have a great time!

Thanks so much everyone! I'm going to try and sign us up, crossing my fingers...I know it's hard to get in. :daisy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter