WDW after Xmas, 1st week January....how’s the weather.

Silvermist999

DIS Veteran
We are thinking of heading there the first week of January for a quick trip, since both kids won’t be back in school until Jan.9th. Ideally we would fly down there a few days before new year’s but that all depends on flights etc.

If you have gone before at this time, was it warm enough to swim comfortably in the resort pool? I don’t remember if the pools are even heated. We are used to going in the spring months when the weather is warm/hot and sunny, and relaxing at the resort pool is something we look forward to.

We are thinking of heading there the first week of January for a quick trip, since both kids won’t be back in school until Jan.9th. Ideally we would fly down there a few days before new year’s but that all depends on flights etc.

If you have gone before at this time, was it warm enough to swim comfortably in the resort pool? I don’t remember if the pools are even heated. We are used to going in the spring months when the weather is warm/hot and sunny, and relaxing at the resort pool is something we look forward to.
The pools are heated. We went in January once and I told myself I wouldn't go back, because it didn't feel like Disney when I had to wear jeans and layers to the parks. It was probably high teens/low twenties the whole time. But we've been in December and had perfect 25-30 degree weather the whole trip, so you never really know.

The pools are heated. We went in January once and I told myself I wouldn't go back, because it didn't feel like Disney when I had to wear jeans and layers to the parks. It was probably high teens/low twenties the whole time. But we've been in December and had perfect 25-30 degree weather the whole trip, so you never really know.
exactly how I feel, I want to wear t shirts/tanks and shorts at Disney, not jeans and hoodies, lol. We‘ve gone March break before and despite some cool temps, we all refused to wear jeans, kept wearing our shorts and even swam. But January will be a lot cooler I imagine.

As the PP, we were there that week about 10 years ago when Orlando broke three record lows in a week. With a thin layer of SNOW on the ground at MCO one night for the first time in 30 years, no less.

We got a mere single day of warm weather, gave up on our final day there. We stayed in our room all day and got room service lunch and dinner. Well worth the cost to ease the misery but not the disappointment.

Even though you think temps going that low won't bother you given where you're coming from, we're accustomed to very cold winter temps but found the high humidity made us shiver even with winter gear on. We each bought a jacket!

Take extra layers and layer your socks if you get cold feet. Just in case...

Also, January is traditionally when trainees start at WDW. Be aware that service may be a bit sketchy at times.

We were at WDW for New Year 2019. Temps were very warm (25C) the whole week we were there. We swam every day. I think it’s in January 2020 that they had to cancel the full marathon early Jan because it was too cold (around 0C).

We are set to go to WDW this year Dec 28-Jan 4th and USO Jan 4-7th. I considered getting a 3 parks ticket to include Volcano Bay but at the end I got only 2 parks because the weather that time of year is too unpredictable for waterparks and pool time.

It really varies. But I find it too cold most days late Dec/early Jan at WDW to swim (we are from Toronto). I pack swimming outfits and just hope for the best. I also pack hoodies and jeans. Now I’m really questioning why I booked Beach Club. Oops.

I’m like you, I prefer the March break weather for lounging by the resort pool. This year we are doing Dec 24-Jan 8 due to the school calendars. DD goes back to school on Jan 10. I suspect there’ll be a lot of Canadians at the parks :)

I did this 10+ yrs ago and it was cold. I wore jeans everyday and stretchy gloves. It snowed repeatedly - although no real accumulation - and even snowed like mad on the last fast round of Test Track. That was wild. I bundled up with a t-shirt, sweater and rainjacket zipped up tight. I watched locals walking around with full length parkas, toques and ski goggles for the rides. Parents who forgot to pack warmly for their kids were putting socks on their kids hands for warmth. Only the Canadians were swimming in the pools. The pros: low crowds, all rides were a near walk-on, the Christmas music was on, decorations and decorated lobby trees were still up and you have a great appetite for big meals. The cons: its darn cold and you wouldn't want to wait in lines outside as your feet and fingers would go to sleep. Water rides and splash rides were down for annual maintenance. The pool wasn't all that appealing unless you have littles who insist on swimming regardless. We had an hour long delay sitting on the tarmac for the flight from Orlando back to Toronto to defrost the wings. You do you. But definitely check a couple of weather sites to compare the historical temps to see if you want to deal with it.

I think it’s in January 2020 that they had to cancel the full marathon early Jan because it was too cold (around 0C).

It was the opposite. They shortened the course because it got way to HOT. They black flagged the marathon which in the running world is the most extreme weather rating for a race. The weird thing was they didn't seem to expect it to get so hot because the race was only black flagged after it started.

0 degrees celsius is running weather that many people would enjoy!

Accuweather.com will give you the past weather for those dates for 2020 and 2021. There may be other sites that will go back further for more years. You never know what it will be like

We were at WDW this year in January. LOL....we had to scrape frost off of our car in the mornings. Florida rental cars don't come equipped for that so I had to use my credit card. Even coming from Canada we were cold. It was daytime high of around 10 but down to -2 over night. As happy as I was to be there the weather kind of ruined things for us.....never thought I would say that. I've been a few other times in January and the weather is very up and down. You always need to dress in layers. You basically have to pack for cold and for warm-ish.

We’ve been a few times in January and February, and will be there that same week. We have had very cold, below 0° weather (2014), but we also had some in the low to mid 20’s (2012). I’m hoping for the 20 something temps this trip, fingers crossed! One thing that’s pretty consistent, even if it’s warm during the day the evenings get chilly. So layers help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter