• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW and DL Pirates to change Redhead scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDWFantasmicFan

Uber Disney Fan
News

Disney sneakily announces changes to Pirates of the Caribbean at WDW and DLR in a Disneyland Paris blog post...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...of-the-caribbean-at-disneyland-paris-july-24/

New scene will be coming in 2018 and will replace the current auction scene to make the attraction more politically correct. Concept art released.
c84202_999a892c83c64537b352bbac7e5a6a20~mv2.webp

Last edited:

This is a sad day. Disneyland's pirates was something Walt was heavily involved in and taking out a key scene is just sad IMO.

Normalizing the idea of people (specifically women) as property is more sad IMO. It didn't just happen, it's currently happening. And playing it off as entertainment is far more damaging than changing the scene is.

Obviously I'm glad to see this scene finally go

This is a sad day. Disneyland's pirates was something Walt was heavily involved in and taking out a key scene is just sad IMO.
I feel like they have done subtle changes like this in the past but it is quite the change if they completely adjust the scene.

Normalizing the idea of people (specifically women) as property is more sad IMO. It didn't just happen, it's currently happening. And playing it off as entertainment is far more damaging than changing the scene it.

Obviously I'm glad to see this scene finally go
I get it. Personally I think the scene goes over most people's heads.

That is exactly what they are doing - they are replacing the women auctioning scene with a slightly more politically correct version!!

I assume it also means the end of the classic line "We Wants The Red Head!"

Which is a problem in and of itself.
The fact that someone can look at what is very obviously a slave auction and not know what it is says nothing positive.
History repeats itself and if we don't learn from it it definitely will repeat itself. I definitely am not for auctioning slaves or women but to me the scene could be altered not completely changed.

News

Disney sneakily announces changes to Pirates of the Caribbean at WDW and DLR in a Disneyland Paris blog post...

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...of-the-caribbean-at-disneyland-paris-july-24/

New scene will be coming in 2018 and will replace the current auction scene to make the attraction more politically correct. Concept art released.
c84202_999a892c83c64537b352bbac7e5a6a20~mv2.webp
So, no more "We wants the red head!?!?" That scene is so iconic. I would be sad to see it go since this was the last attraction Walt really worked on.

Which is a problem in and of itself.
The fact that someone can look at what is very obviously a slave auction and not know what it is says nothing positive.

It is very clear what it is - it's also clear that those are bad people doing it and what they are doing is bad .... though, I guess this is less of a clear delineation the more they add in "good pirates" like Jack Sparrow into the ride

I certainly get why they are changing it - but I also think it is ok to feel sad that something Walt had a direct hand in is going away

So, no more "We wants the red head!?!?" That scene is so iconic. I would be sad to see it go since this was the last attraction Walt really worked on.
Yep. To me it's not as big of a deal in WDW but changing it completely in Disneyland is a bit different.

Yep. To me it's not as big of a deal in WDW but changing it completely in Disneyland is a bit different.
I agree. I was thinking of typing in my message that I would be ok if they changed it at WDW. The Disneyland version has already been altered more than it had to be (Jack Sparrow and a mist screen that makes no sense).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter