WDW and DL.... your thoughts!

AprilJ26

Mouseketeer
If you are a WDW veteran who has also visited DL, what did you think of your first trip to DL? I've read all of the info I can find on these boards and throughout the internet to prepare for our first trip to DL after numerous trips to WDW. I would love to hear first-hand experiences and thoughts! After visiting DL, do you still prefer WDW or did it change your mind? We are sooooo excited about our first trip in a couple of weeks!

Wife and I were big WDW fans until they instituted FP+. We tried it, and it doesn't suit how we liked to enjoy the parks. We switched to DLR after that year and loved it!! Went back to WDW the following year to see if FP+ worked any better for us and it didn't. So, it's been DLR (and Universal Orlando) ever since.

The biggest thing is the lack of planning. Since you don't have to deal with making ride/food reservations and basically locking in your parks for at least part of your day you eliminate a huge part of the planning phase involved with WDW. Want to switch parks? Take a one minute walk across the courtyard between DL and DCA! Were you a pro at the old school paper fastpass? Well, you can relive those days at DLR. Want an even better experience? Try Maxpass and pile up those fastpasses for either park and from pretty much anywhere (once active, you can reserve fastpasses through the app from anywhere. We would take a break back to our hotel and secure at least our first ride back in the parks before leaving our room).

Cost is another big one. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must stay onsite, the plethora of hotels within easy walking distance is incredible and can fit any budget. The Disney "bubble" from WDW isn't really a thing at DLR and that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are also a ton of things to do in and around Anaheim (Knott's, Six Flags, Universal, Hollywood, Whale Watching, lot's of great food options). We had our last trip there late last year and it was a fantastic, stress free time. We rode everything multiple times, had some great food, and some other wonderful non-Disney experiences.

To be fair though, one of the only real drawbacks (if you rely on Disney Magical Express at WDW) is the need for transportation. It's a must to get the most out of your trip. We took a town car our first time, which worked well. But, it did limit the how much we could do outside the parks (Knott's Berrry Farm, though, is a quick bus ride from the parks).

You can check out our trip report for our last trip HERE.

Last edited:
The first time I went to DL I found it to be a little underwhelming, like when you see the castle and wonder where the rest of it is. It was like being in bizarro-world a little, with things similar yet not the same. I took a few wrong turns as I would be expecting to see a certain thing and then, woah, why is Big Thunder on the other side of the River? It's fun though to explore the differences, and get a fresh look a things. It will feel smaller and less grandiose in some ways, but in others it really excels. It is nice to not have to plan quite as hard and the closeness of the two parks makes hopping amazing! you're sure to have a great time.

The first year I went I loved it. I went during the 60th anniversary so it was all done up and the fireworks were amazing. I had gone since two more times and its okay. I think I can go another couple of years without going. I like it a lot but for me I do prefer it to be a Disney Vacation and it takes me out of it to be passing by a Denny's to get there and some homeless peeps. I also don't like that you have to pay for Maxpass but if you don't want to you have to actually go to the ride and to the kiosks to print out fastpass to go somewhere else while you wait and then come back (i'm one of those few who like FP+ because I like to plan my day). I'm sure if I was a local I'd love DL but for now its a fun spot to go one every few years.

When we switched, I was almost maddened by the lack of planning I could do, or couldn't do. Basically, planning is picking which park to start with and then going back and forth each following day. And maybe one or two dining option you might want to get an ADR for, but you can wait until a month out before it's really urgent. Just a more laid back approach to Disney vacationing.

When I came to DL, I really liked how some rides were better than their WDW counterparts (Space Mt, Pirates, Small World), and they had attractions that didn't exist at WDW (Matterhorn, Indy). DL park is like MK with all the extra stuff you'd ever want. You'll love that you can walk from a Disney hotel or a hotel across the street - no bus system! And that you can walk from one park to another. Or just walk to Downtown Disney. It's a very convenient place for the most part. Add in the fact that there is no FP+ and planning rides 2 months in advance, and it's awesome. The MaxPass system costs money, so we don't use it. But having the Legacy FP style is great. It leaves some spontaneity to the vacation.

The things I didn't like: small castle and small spaces. Honestly, DLR doesn't compare in ambiance and the feeling of grandeur to WDW. Part of that is it being so small. Part of it is that it's so cramped, it's hard to feel the ambiance for all the masses. ... I'm not a fan of not having entertainment every night like you do at WDW. To me, it's not a Disney day without a giant finale'. It's just another day in a theme park. So DL fails me in that category. .. It seems like rides at DL break down a lot more than they do at WDW. .. I miss all the great Table Service options from WDW. .. And then there's the fact there's no AK or Epcot. They really make a difference in getting that "Bubble" feeling and "Escape Reality" feeling.

Wife and I were big WDW fans until they instituted FP+. We tried it, and it doesn't suit how we liked to enjoy the parks. We switched to DLR after that year and loved it!! Went back to WDW the following year to see if FP+ worked any better for us and it didn't. So, it's been DLR (and Universal Orlando) ever since.

The biggest thing is the lack of planning. Since you don't have to deal with making ride/food reservations and basically locking in your parks for at least part of your day you eliminate a huge part of the planning phase involved with WDW. Want to switch parks? Take a one minute walk across the courtyard between DL and DCA! Were you a pro at the old school paper fastpass? Well, you can relive those days at DLR. Want an even better experience? Try Maxpass and pile up those fastpasses for either park and from pretty much anywhere (once active, you can reserve fastpasses through the app from anywhere. We would take a break back to our hotel and secure at least our first ride back in the parks before leaving our room).

Cost is another big one. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must stay onsite, the plethora of hotels within easy walking distance is incredible and can fit any budget. The Disney "bubble" from WDW isn't really a thing at DLR and that's not necessarily a bad thing. There are also a ton of things to do in and around Anaheim (Knott's, Six Flags, Universal, Hollywood, Whale Watching, lot's of great food options). We had our last trip there late last year and it was a fantastic, stress free time. We rode everything multiple times, had some great food, and some other wonderful non-Disney experiences.

To be fair though, one of the only real drawbacks (if you rely on Disney Magical Express at WDW) is the need for transportation. It's a must to get the most out of your trip. We took a town car our first time, which worked well. But, it did limit the how much we could do outside the parks (Knott's Berrry Farm, though, is a quick bus ride from the parks).

You can check out our trip report for our last trip HERE.

Thanks for the info! I checked out your trip report and it was great! We are so excited about this trip! The old FASTPASS system is wonderful and it’s one of the main things I’m most excited about at DL!

When we switched, I was almost maddened by the lack of planning I could do, or couldn't do. Basically, planning is picking which park to start with and then going back and forth each following day. And maybe one or two dining option you might want to get an ADR for, but you can wait until a month out before it's really urgent. Just a more laid back approach to Disney vacationing.

When I came to DL, I really liked how some rides were better than their WDW counterparts (Space Mt, Pirates, Small World), and they had attractions that didn't exist at WDW (Matterhorn, Indy). DL park is like MK with all the extra stuff you'd ever want. You'll love that you can walk from a Disney hotel or a hotel across the street - no bus system! And that you can walk from one park to another. Or just walk to Downtown Disney. It's a very convenient place for the most part. Add in the fact that there is no FP+ and planning rides 2 months in advance, and it's awesome. The MaxPass system costs money, so we don't use it. But having the Legacy FP style is great. It leaves some spontaneity to the vacation.

The things I didn't like: small castle and small spaces. Honestly, DLR doesn't compare in ambiance and the feeling of grandeur to WDW. Part of that is it being so small. Part of it is that it's so cramped, it's hard to feel the ambiance for all the masses. ... I'm not a fan of not having entertainment every night like you do at WDW. To me, it's not a Disney day without a giant finale'. It's just another day in a theme park. So DL fails me in that category. .. It seems like rides at DL break down a lot more than they do at WDW. .. I miss all the great Table Service options from WDW. .. And then there's the fact there's no AK or Epcot. They really make a difference in getting that "Bubble" feeling and "Escape Reality" feeling.

The lack of planning is getting to me, also! I’m so used to having a plan for pretty much every minute of every day, but for this trip I’ve done nothing so far! We could care less about the castle, so I don’t think the size (or the scrim) will bother us. We are just excited to try some new rides that we’ve never done before (Matterhorn, Indy, RSR, all of cars land)! I also can’t wait to try out some of the rides that are similar and compare! I really hope my family enjoys this trip!

I've been to WDW many times (many I don't remember) and DLR 4 times over the past 3. What I must say is the biggest difference between the two, IMO, aside from the size differences would be the fact one is a resort destination while the other is two well themed parks. Don't take that to mean I don't love DLR, I absolutely do and am headed back out in September. When I go to either park I generally plan to stay on property (only stay exclusively on property at DLR, which I'll say why).

Overall I find WDW to be much more about the experience (albeit all planned 6 months or 60 days in advance). When I go to WDW I usually ride 5-10 rides across 2-3 parks a day. However, peppered into that day is time I visit different resorts, book unique dining experiences, spend time at the pool, or extra activities (safari trek, etc). However, when I go to DLR I ride maybe 15-25 rides between the two parks and eat predominantly at CS/QS restaurants (aside from Carnation Cafe and Cafe Orleans). So effectively I spend more time at DLR on the rides and WDW on different activities you can't find at DLR. With all this being said the experience at WDW is significantly more expensive than DLR (even with the more expensive tickets). Oh lack of firework focus is definitely noticeable at DLR the nighttime spectaculars at DLR seemed more intimate too because of the park size.

Reasons I stay on properties at each resort: WDW=Convenience - This allows me to do the other activities WDW offers and not focus on running around parks each day just doing rides. DLR=Extra Park Time - While both WDW and DLR have EMH for resort guests you get significant more mileage at DLR than WDW. In fact my upcoming trip to DLR is specifically to have that extra hour to get to SW:GE. Just much less competition for an equal number of rides than at WDW.

Pros/Cons of Each

WDW Pros: Larger, Unique Activities, Nicer Hotel Choices for all Budgets, Better Table Service Food (of course there are good and bad but the best at WDW: for example Victoria and Alberts, Jiko, etc. are much better than the best at DLR: for example Carthage’s Cicle and Blue Bayou; also on average, not just the best, I think WDW edges DLR out here IMO) by miles, Water Parks, and many others those are the big ones
WDW Cons: Larger (definite con too), FP+ requires 60 day planning, 6 months for DR/Event Planning, More people in general

DLR Pros: Smaller, Better Quick/Counter Service Food, Walkable to every corner, Characters are strolling around (though rumors are WDW is doing more of this again), DR is only 60 days in advance, More Ride time easily, MaxPass is far better, EMH is much better because of size
DLR Cons: Shorter amount of time spent there because of size, Onsite Hotels aren't nearly as nice (though haven't done GCH that is next trip)

I really can't come up with many cons since it is vacation and Disney after all. I love DLR for different reasons than I love WDW.

Last edited:
We live about 15 minutes from Disneyland, but still enjoy going to Disney World, each have pros and cons.

Disney World:
Pros: Different things to see and do, more immersive in that you never have to leave Disney Property once there if you choose not to, wider walkways make even a crowded day seem manageable
Cons: A lot more walking, having to plan everything out 60 days in advance for FP+ and 6 months for ADRs

Disneyland:
Pros: Maxpass, better food quality (both QS and Table Service), Characters roam and don't just have lines, ADRs are 60 days in advance
Cons: Not as immersive, especially when you live nearby, Maxpass (con because it costs extra, but it is worth every penny)

Overall, I like both and can't pick a favorite.

We went to WDW for a long time, finally went to Disneyland. Fell in love, consider it the home park, preferred park, captured my heart and will never let go park.
Why? History. The history of Disney, themed entertainment, and Walt Disney’s creative legacy are important to me and Disneyland has it in every little corner.
Second plus, I much prefer the local clientele over tourists at WDW. California is so much more laid back, people are happy to be there, even when it’s insanely crowded. It’s crowded because people are choosing to be there because they love Disneyland and want to be there. Nobody has been dragged there. That aura is palpable in the same way that WDWs humidity is palpable.
Grand Californian is my favorite Disney hotel.
There’s technically more attractions at Disneyland resort than all of WDW. Small but packed with unique offerings.
Now it sounds like I don’t have eyes for WDW. Not true! Epcot, after Disneyland, is my favorite theme park in this world. But boy, Disneyland has got IT.

I was a DL vet for years, then became a WDW vet and am now returning to DL and learning it all over again. The main thing to remember is that these are two completely different parks and operating styles. Any similarities are a co-incidence (ha!) and should not confuse you. They just had the same 'father'. If you treat them as separate entities and not try to compare them, you'll be fine. DL is my park of choice....every time.

The first time I went to DL I found it to be a little underwhelming, like when you see the castle and wonder where the rest of it is. It was like being in bizarro-world a little, with things similar yet not the same. I took a few wrong turns as I would be expecting to see a certain thing and then, woah, why is Big Thunder on the other side of the River? It's fun though to explore the differences, and get a fresh look a things. It will feel smaller and less grandiose in some ways, but in others it really excels. It is nice to not have to plan quite as hard and the closeness of the two parks makes hopping amazing! you're sure to have a great time.
Since BTMRR was first built at DL, it is MK which has it on the "other side of the river". ;)

:wizard:

Since BTMRR was first built at DL, it is MK which has it on the "other side of the river". ;)

:wizard:

I meant "other" from my experience. Actually, that was easy to remember. It was more thinking there would be a restroom right over here, and whoops, no there wasn't.

We went to WDW for a long time, finally went to Disneyland. Fell in love, consider it the home park, preferred park, captured my heart and will never let go park.
Why? History. The history of Disney, themed entertainment, and Walt Disney’s creative legacy are important to me and Disneyland has it in every little corner.
Second plus, I much prefer the local clientele over tourists at WDW. California is so much more laid back, people are happy to be there, even when it’s insanely crowded. It’s crowded because people are choosing to be there because they love Disneyland and want to be there. Nobody has been dragged there. That aura is palpable in the same way that WDWs humidity is palpable.
Grand Californian is my favorite Disney hotel.
There’s technically more attractions at Disneyland resort than all of WDW. Small but packed with unique offerings.
Now it sounds like I don’t have eyes for WDW. Not true! Epcot, after Disneyland, is my favorite theme park in this world. But boy, Disneyland has got IT.

Every bit of this

I went a year ago to Disneyland for the first time. We live in Florida and go to WDW constantly. It was a lot of fun experiencing a new park. I really liked how compact it was and you could walk back and forth between the parks. I did compare it a lot to WDW. There were some rides I definitely prefer at WDW, but there were a few stand out rides. I really liked the Indiana Jones rides, Cars and the Guardians of the Galaxy ride (this was our favorite and rode multiple times). I didn't like how small the castle was. It's a bit of a shock when you arrive and don't even really see it. We went in with the mentality that we probably won't be back. It's far for us so if we do go back it'll be a really long time for now. But I'm really happy we went.

I am a WDW vet currently on day 5 at DL! I am happy to give my 2 cents.

First of all, I truly think that whichever park you grew up with will always be “home.” We have had a really great time at DL, but it’s not “home” to us!

It has been really fun getting to go on rides that we don’t have in FL - Incredicoaster, Indiana Jones, etc. Some of the individual rides are better at DL. For example, I think BTMRR and Pirates are better at DL. We really have fun comparing the rides and discussing which one we think are better. I didn’t think I would like Guardians but it turns out I actually like it better than ToT!

Overall, I still like WDW better. It is home to me. No offense to DL, it just doesn’t give me the home feeling that WDW does!

I found WDW to be a little more “magical” than DL. Some of that may be antecdotal. But, I haven’t heard a single CM say “have a magical day” or “hello princess” to my daughter the way they do at WDW. I’m general, the CMs in the shops seemed less helpful and at times it was difficult to get assistance.

The 5-day ticket was a bit much. We probably could have done a 4-day ticket and been happy with it.

Max Pass and FP+ each have their pros and cons. I know a lot of people really like MP. I thought it was ok but I really didn’t like that you can’t choose your time slot. I also don’t like that you have to enter the park to use it because you can’t get anything good if yuh just want to go to the park in the evening. But, it is nice that you can stack them.

So, bottom line for me is that DL is a fun place to visit, but WDW is home. I will also point out that we stay off site for both, so the “bubble” isn’t a factor for us. Anyway, home this helps and that you have a great trip!

WDW vet who just completed a 5 day trip to DLR and stayed onsite at DLH. Agree with most of the other comments and to my family its really the overall 'Disney experience' that gives the edge to WDW.

It was a bit odd to see the cars whizzing by on the normal roads while in DTD/park area or the homeless people on Harbor road.....much less immersive an experience. Also think since so many DLR guests are local that the CMs almost assume you took the day off work vs encouraging words of a 'magical day' or making those little special moments. CM were very nice and friendly but it's like going go our local Great Escape park.

The nighttime entertainment to 1000% better at WDW IMO. There are options at least at WDW and most leaving you with a 'wow factor'.

I really appreciated the history side of DLR. My 9yo made an interesting comment after our Walk in Walt's footsteps tour.....He said he understood,why Walt wanted to build WDW that was on a scale and magnitude of his real vision and DLR was a bit of a test to see if people liked his ideas and would actually pay money to enjoy it.

On the planning aspect -- I don't think WDW is that hard actually and I did not like to have to be on the app all the time to use Max pass or check what time the FP distribution time was going. I prefer to make my plans and then be in the moment with the family.

Overall we did have a great trip and want to got back for holiday time festivities. We won't do 4 days again as we covered both DL and DCA well with a,4 day pass but will do other area attractions as well.

The only areas I feel WDW is better are Resorts and Dining. The resorts in WDW are amazing and the dining options are fantastic (especially the character dinings). Everything else, DLR wins. No need to book FP 60 days ahead is a big plus. Park hopping is easy (mainly because the security is all the way before Downtown Disney). The rides are better (with the exception of Splash Mountain).

Our first trip to DL was this last Dec. LOVED it!!! We still love WDW too but they are different. The ride experience on common rides in my option are better at DL (we didn’t get to do SM it was down). I could go to either and have a wonderful time. What I do miss from WDW is Epcot, AK and Disney Springs. Character meet and greets are fantastic at both parks but I thing DL is better. The cast interacts with the guest is longer and on our DL trip we had 4 unbelievable magical experiences. Twice (Evil Queen & Cruella Deville) came up to our grand child as we were walking by and took her hand and walked her through Main Street. It was trielt magical!!! We just don’t see that type of interaction at WDW. Both WDW and DL are wonderful but DL in now a must go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter