WDW and Nintendo DSi

Tink_lover900

Earning My Ears
We will be at BWV for our annual 4th of July trip and we are considering purchasing a Nintendo DSi and was wondering if any fellow DVCers had heard any more about Disney using the Nintendo DS's in the parks? Have done an internet search and the only info we could find is from January 2008. We like the idea of the electronic maps and ride wait times. TIA

I asked about this once too. Apparently Disney tested this out in 2008 but nothing has been put into place yet. Maybe with the release of the new DSi ???

What is new with the Nintendo DSI? Am I missing something here? Perhaps I should inform my kids about Nintendo coming out with a new system....:confused3, but then again, maybe NOT :lmao:.

It is the "new & improved" DS, which goes on sale very soon (I can't remember the date). Same size and everything, but it is going to have a MP3Player built & Digital Camera built in.

I am assuming this is going to be the new hot item for Christmas. I am actually comtemplating purchasing them now for Christmas gifts for my kids.

What is new with the Nintendo DSI? Am I missing something here? Perhaps I should inform my kids about Nintendo coming out with a new system....:confused3, but then again, maybe NOT :lmao:.

Both screens are touch screen and larger, camera, and mp3 player. The bummer is you loose the old slot on bottom that fit the larger GBA type games as well as the new Guitar Hero adapter.

I think this would be cool for Disney to implement because of a more interactive capability with the Gameboy. What I REALLY wish they would do is just tweet ride wait times and event times on Twitter and we could receive them immediately on our cell phone/Blackberry/iPhone/etc without having to lug around a stuffed Mickey or Gameboy. My phone goes everywhere and is small.

We will be at BWV for our annual 4th of July trip and we are considering purchasing a Nintendo DSi and was wondering if any fellow DVCers had heard any more about Disney using the Nintendo DS's in the parks? Have done an internet search and the only info we could find is from January 2008. We like the idea of the electronic maps and ride wait times. TIA

What you are referring to was only a test project and you had to use their special DS's.

There is something you can do with a regular DS and the Pirates of the Caribbean game. You can download some minigames or something at the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.

I think what you are looking for with wait times info is now a new project with Verizon Wireless.

My son dropped his DS and broke it Friday so we are now getting the DSi. Our gamestop is having a midnight launch party that he wants to go to. I am not too sure about that. We will see how it is. It seems a little confussing to me. The guy at gamestop was telling me all about it and I am just glad it is springbreak so we have enough time to figure it out.

If you trade in your DS and charger they will give you a $40 credit towards your new purchase of the DSi

My son dropped his DS and broke it Friday so we are now getting the DSi. Our gamestop is having a midnight launch party that he wants to go to. I am not too sure about that.

If you are wondering how this launch party works, at our Gamestop they reopen the store at 11:00 PM and let you pre purchase the DS, an accessories you want and get a number. You then hang around until a little before midnight.

At this time everyone exits the store and lines up outside in the order of their number. At midnight you are let in two at a time to get your stuff. It goes pretty easy and I doubt there is going to be a huge rush like with the Wii.

Good Luck

Disney basically abandoned the project. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

After testing in early 2008, they announced a partnership with Verizon wireless in late 2008. Looks like custom cell phone apps will replace the DS solution. But I don't think anything has happened on the Verizon front either.

I pre-ordered mine for DS and got an email this am saying it was shipped today! But I believe it will be in stores tomorrow morning. On a really cool note, my cousin is an actress in England and she is on their version of the DSi commercial. My son thinks it's so cool. OK, commercial over, I hope they do have WDW info access on there, how cool would that be.

GREAT idea!!!! I am with you, I would not let me kids bring their DS' to the parks with them.

What I REALLY wish they would do is just tweet ride wait times and event times on Twitter and we could receive them immediately on our cell phone/Blackberry/iPhone/etc without having to lug around a stuffed Mickey or Gameboy. My phone goes everywhere and is small.

I think my son has already spent 6 hours this weekend on his DS. Along with 2 hours on the PS3, 2 hours on the Wii. Goodness, its April and snowing in Iowa, what a life!

As stated previously, the test with the Nintendo DS at WDW has concluded. There are no plans to continue the program now that the agreement with Verizon is in place. There's no word yet on when the new Verizon service will begin.

Since this thread has become more of a discussion of the new Nintendo system than one of theme park planning, I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter