• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW and Universal. Who wins?

I guess my question is why is this always a zero-sum question?

Lot's of folks like both and they are both very successful entertainment companies. If you love roller coasters and the Universal IP you'd probably prefer Universal. With WDW's size it has tons of options Universal just can't offer.

The question reminded me of the revisions to football rules to eliminate ties. They are a recent artifice to mold the sport into a more sell-able TV show.
I think people are disgruntled with Disney, and the easiest way to vent the frustration is that Uni is coming to eat their lunch. I tend to align more with you, that they both have their own merits, but at the end of the day Disney is just out of reach for Uni

I don’t care if Universal ever overtakes Disney because that would mean it becomes as much of a crowded obnoxious mess as Disney is.

Yes, just got back from vacation. Five days at universal and one day at Hollywood studios to finally see what’s new there (haven’t been since 2017). My 13 year old daughter hated Disney so much she wondered aloud why we were even there when we could have spent another day at Universal. Just one day in Hollywood studios was so boring and enraging I don’t think we will ever be back. We went so we could ride Tower of Terror which was down for hours. Galaxy’s Edge was well done but the rides (yes, including ROR) were one and dones. Meanwhile we did velocicoaster 8 times.

And we used to own DVC. Back when I loved Disney things were a LOT different. Now you have to fight your way or pay your way to get in line for stuff that is over 30 years old. And you’re lucky to do it once.

My daughter can’t wait to return to Universal. And I would enjoy it as well. You can keep your screaming toddlers and pricey “lightening” lanes.

I kept seeing posts about Disney having poor or lower quality food. What food are you all talking about?
Places like Ohana comes to mind. Awful food that is very overpriced. Most Disney stuff is mediocre and fine. MK as a park has bad food but I just leave to eat on the monorail loop and come back.

To keep it fair, Universal doesn't have amazing food either. The quick service options are.....yeah.

I don't know about the numbers, but I do know my next "big" Orlando trip does not include Disney like it would have in the past. It's all Universal.

I don’t care if Universal ever overtakes Disney because that would mean it becomes as much of a crowded obnoxious mess as Disney is.

Yes, just got back from vacation. Five days at universal and one day at Hollywood studios to finally see what’s new there (haven’t been since 2017). My 13 year old daughter hated Disney so much she wondered aloud why we were even there when we could have spent another day at Universal. Just one day in Hollywood studios was so boring and enraging I don’t think we will ever be back. We went so we could ride Tower of Terror which was down for hours. Galaxy’s Edge was well done but the rides (yes, including ROR) were one and dones. Meanwhile we did velocicoaster 8 times.

And we used to own DVC. Back when I loved Disney things were a LOT different. Now you have to fight your way or pay your way to get in line for stuff that is over 30 years old. And you’re lucky to do it once.

My daughter can’t wait to return to Universal. And I would enjoy it as well. You can keep your screaming toddlers and pricey “lightening” lanes.

I mean, your assessment of the experience is fair, but if you're going to knock Disney on an expensive skip-the-line feature, Universal Express Pass ain't exactly cheap!

You sound like a person who loves rides, nothing wrong with that. For me Disney has much more to offer than rides alone. Compared to the free fastpass anything is expensive, but Lightening lane isn't expensive compared to its peers in the marketplace

You sound like a person who loves rides, nothing wrong with that. For me Disney has much more to offer than rides alone. Compared to the free fastpass anything is expensive, but Lightening lane isn't expensive compared to its peers in the marketplace
My daughter loves rides. I enjoy them with her.

However, I appreciate a good show and I’ve never seen a better show than The Bourne Stunt Spectacular. And I don’t even like the Bourne movies, action or violence. But that is the best theme park show I’ve ever seen. What did Disney have at Hollywood Studios? A 40 year old Indiana Jones Stunt spectacular that should have been replaced ages ago? A Frozen Sing-Along that I remember from when my daughter was 6?

If Lightening Lane is going to compare with Universal’s express pass it should be free with certain deluxe resorts. But that won’t happen. Instead the perk you get for staying at Disney is the ability to wake up at 7am to scramble around for your lightening lanes. Wow, that’s what everyone wants to do on vacation.

And before you argue food with me, Mythos was the best theme park restaurant we ate at. I liked the Brown Derby but it wasn’t better. I enjoyed quick dining at Woody’s Lunch Box as well. That may have been the thing I enjoyed most, some of the quick dining options.

My daughter loves rides. I enjoy them with her.

However, I appreciate a good show and I’ve never seen a better show than The Bourne Stunt Spectacular. And I don’t even like the Bourne movies, action or violence. But that is the best theme park show I’ve ever seen. What did Disney have at Hollywood Studios? A 40 year old Indiana Jones Stunt spectacular that should have been replaced ages ago? A Frozen Sing-Along that I remember from when my daughter was 6?

If Lightening Lane is going to compare with Universal’s express pass it should be free with certain deluxe resorts. But that won’t happen. Instead the perk you get for staying at Disney is the ability to wake up at 7am to scramble around for your lightening lanes. Wow, that’s what everyone wants to do on vacation.

And before you argue food with me, Mythos was the best theme park restaurant we ate at. I liked the Brown Derby but it wasn’t better. I enjoyed quick dining at Woody’s Lunch Box as well. That may have been the thing I enjoyed most, some of the quick dining options.
Yeah, i still like the shows they have. Indiana Jones is still solid IMO, for the same reason i like star tours, there's just something about them that work for me. Frozen isn't for me, but my 3 soon to be 4 year old would argue with you on that one.

It's just not apples to apples, if they were the same cost you would have an argument, but they aren't close. I also think the parks use them for different reasons, Uni tries to entice people to stay at their hotels, (which don't perform like Disney), Disney seems to use theirs more to help cope with crowds.

Food in the parks IMO is not great, including a lot of Epcot, a lot of hotels areas have really good restaurants IMO. I don't like to get into food with people because everyone has a different pallet, and someone's yuck is always someone elses yum so it's hard to compare

Yeah, i still like the shows they have. Indiana Jones is still solid IMO, for the same reason i like star tours, there's just something about them that work for me. Frozen isn't for me, but my 3 soon to be 4 year old would argue with you on that one.

It's just not apples to apples, if they were the same cost you would have an argument, but they aren't close. I also think the parks use them for different reasons, Uni tries to entice people to stay at their hotels, (which don't perform like Disney), Disney seems to use theirs more to help cope with crowds.

Food in the parks IMO is not great, including a lot of Epcot, a lot of hotels areas have really good restaurants IMO. I don't like to get into food with people because everyone has a different pallet, and someone's yuck is always someone elses yum so it's hard to compare
I hear you there.

I just once thought Disney was such a magical place. There are old trip reports from me here from like mid-2000s where the script was totally flipped as to Disney vs. Universal. So I’m a bit surprised myself to see what has happened. After selling DVC we have not gotten the itch to go once except this one brief day visit to see what‘s been added since we were in Orlando anyway. And we came away once more vowing never to return. It’s crazy.

I hear you there.

I just once thought Disney was such a magical place. There are old trip reports from me here from like mid-2000s where the script was totally flipped as to Disney vs. Universal. So I’m a bit surprised myself to see what has happened. After selling DVC we have not gotten the itch to go once except this one brief day visit to see what‘s been added since we were in Orlando anyway. And we came away once more vowing never to return. It’s crazy.
It happens to folks for sure. Grew up in a Disney centric family. I still enjoy going to the Disney parks and will continue to go back when I can, my sister has taken her last trip ever to a Disney Park with her kids.

My sister started losing interest in general around the same age as your daughter, even I lost interest for a while and switched to more of an interest in thrill based attractions.

For some guests that Disney itch comes back, for some it doesn’t. We all find our own things to enjoy and hopefully trips to Universal or other parks bring that joy for you.

I’ve never seen a better show than The Bourne Stunt Spectacular.
I might put the original version of the Nemo musical above it. But the Bourne show is fantastic.

The Studios park has some excellent streetmosphere as well. The scheduled acts (Blues Bros and the a Capella thing) are fun. During Mardi Gras many of the parade performers come out in costume to mingle for a good while before the parade kicks off.

I think people are disgruntled with Disney, and the easiest way to vent the frustration is that Uni is coming to eat their lunch. I tend to align more with you, that they both have their own merits, but at the end of the day Disney is just out of reach for Uni
its not even close. Uni doesnt have the bubble that disney has, sure they've got cool things, but they wont over take disney, at least in my life time.

I hear you there.

No offense, but maybe you need to listen. To yourself. Never return. Sounds like you just need to do US and make yourself happy there. Disney isn't for everyone. Universal isn't for us so we don't get mad about it, we just rarely give them any thought or money and when we go for a day, we don't blame Universal, we blame ourselves for the reminder.. No reason to be Surly. pirate: Just enjoy Universal.

No offense, but maybe you need to listen. To yourself. Never return. Sounds like you just need to do US and make yourself happy there. Disney isn't for everyone. Universal isn't for us so we don't get mad about it, we just rarely give them any thought or money and when we go for a day, we don't blame Universal, we blame ourselves for the reminder.. No reason to be Surly. pirate: Just enjoy Universal.
It’s not just me I have to think about. My daughter and son and husband also have opinions. Now obviously she would happily never set foot in Disney again (and my husband doesn’t really enjoy any theme park, he does it for the kids), although I think she wouldn’t mind being able to ride a few of the rides again. My son enjoyed Galaxy’s Edge., But he exists to eat and shop, so Disney is a decent fit.

And the 2017 trip we took was awful for many reasons, and many that had nothing to do with Disney. we had recently suffered a huge tragic unexpected loss in my family (my niece). We had both my kids come down with horrible stomach bugs at Disney. No one really wanted to be there. The passage of 6 years and a return to Orlando was a perfectly reasonable time to see if Disney was still worth it. We used to love the place. Your family clearly never loved Universal. Stop trying to draw parallels that are not there.

Incidentally, “No offense” comes across patronizing. But I suspect you both knew and intended that.

I might put the original version of the Nemo musical above it. But the Bourne show is fantastic.

The Studios park has some excellent streetmosphere as well. The scheduled acts (Blues Bros and the a Capella thing) are fun. During Mardi Gras many of the parade performers come out in costume to mingle for a good while before the parade kicks off.
I’ve seen the original Nemo musical and I definitely wouldn’t. But I did really love that show too.

We didn’t get much Streetmosphere on our day. It was just a typical 104 degree heat index day Though we did get an insane downpour for a few hours). But I’m not one who likes parades anyway.

I did enjoy the Kylo Ren actor in Galaxy’s Edge though. I liked very much how stuff was just happening with the actors whether you were paying attention or not. It was the best thing about it.

Last edited:
My 13 year old daughter hated Disney so much she wondered aloud why we were even there when we could have spent another day at Universal.
Exact opposite of my 14 year old daughter. She didn't like anything at Universal except the Velocicoaster. And that was a one and done for her.

Just one day in Hollywood studios was so boring and enraging I don’t think we will ever be back. We went so we could ride Tower of Terror which was down for hours. Galaxy’s Edge was well done but the rides (yes, including ROR) were one and dones. Meanwhile we did velocicoaster 8 times.
We went on Galaxy's Edge 3 times, and my daughter wanted to go on it much more. She said Velocicoaster was cool, but it was just a roller coaster, and didn't see need to wait in a long line to see it again. (Note that we went before Velocicoaster was a fast pass option)

We never fought in any lines. We were rarely in line more than 5-10 minutes. We used Genie+ for almost everything. Hollywood Studios is the the toughest to use for Genie+ as there are so few rides.

We breezed through 22 rides at Magic Kingdom on our first day, got all 5 or 6 rides at Animal Kingdom done before noon, and got all in Epcot done using Genie+. I think we stood in line for the Alien Saucer ride, and that's it in Hollywood Studios. We did Genie+ for all the others.

I'd rather pay $20 + $17 = $37 for a day for Genie+ at Disney instead of $250+ at Universal.

We probably won't go back to Universal again, unless Epic Universe is something special. We'll wait and see.

I mean, your assessment of the experience is fair, but if you're going to knock Disney on an expensive skip-the-line feature, Universal Express Pass ain't exactly cheap!
Express Pass is more expensive but it's a better system IMO. I love not having to book anything and just walking up to the attraction I want to go on and being able to in any order I want.

I already know why WDW is stuck with Genie+ so no need to explain it lol I just prefer Express.

Express Pass is more expensive but it's a better system IMO. I love not having to book anything and just walking up to the attraction I want to go on and being able to in any order I want.

I already know why WDW is stuck with Genie+ so no need to explain it lol I just prefer Express.

Well, fair enough, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to criticize Disney for an "expensive" line-skipping program, but laud Universal, when their's costs quite a bit more.

Uni tries to entice people to stay at their hotels, (which don't perform like Disney),
I don't know about you but generally speaking people seem to be happier overall about how Universal's hotels are run and a lot usually point to that Loews a hotel company is running them.

If you removed this whole "bubble" aspect from Disney you really don't have a whole lot going for Disney's on site hotels that don't even have housekeeping for all (I believe that's still the case right that Deluxe gets more frequent housekeeping for Disney?). Disney gives evening EMH to Deluxe resorts now so perhaps that would be like saying Disney's hotels don't perform like they used to because they need to sweeten the pot to increase occupancy on their silly sky high pricing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter