• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW and Universal. Who wins?

You're right - Disney attractions are more about the show - they generally always have been. If one wants trhill-rides then other parks do cater to that more, including Universal. Persoanlly, I'm happy with moderately thrilling rides and more intense show/theming, and I think Disney does that better than anyone. I can do Universal, but my spine doesn't love me afterward. 😁
Me too! Which is why I loved Disney for a really really really long time. But I remember the days when we could ride things over and over and now you can’t build tht kind of cult love for rides when you can barely get on them once. My daughter loved the ToT and would have happily ridden again but the waits were terrible.

Me too! Which is why I loved Disney for a really really really long time. But I remember the days when we could ride things over and over and now you can’t build tht kind of cult love for rides when you can barely get on them once. My daughter loved the ToT and would have happily ridden again but the waits were terrible.

The lines are definitely problematic. Persoanlly, I LOVE Rise, but I don't even ride it every trip - it's not worth the hassle! I'll get it in on my upcoming trip to DLR where it doesn't get quite so insane.

The lines are definitely problematic. Persoanlly, I LOVE Rise, but I don't even ride it every trip - it's not worth the hassle! I'll get it in on my upcoming trip to DLR where it doesn't get quite so insane.
Disney in the mid-90s was the absolute pinnacle for me. And Hollywood Studios (MGM at the time) was my favorite! I wanted to be an animator and just hung around the animation buildings. Those are now the Star Wars Launch Bay, whatever that is.

I would love for there to be some kind of Eisner 2.0 to come in to Disney and really really care about the parks again. I will continue to watch and hope even as I stay far away.

When I look at attractions I think you can have a ride that has amazing theming but lackluster in what it actually is. Then you can have a ride that is so so or next to nil on theming but is awesome in what it actually is. It's harder to get both on the same ride.
How about Tower of Terror?

For years I've used that as an example of how Disney does experiences infinitely better than most amusement parks. Great America puts up a steel frame for people to climb up stairs to the top and drop down. Disney creates an art-deco hotel with a story that goes from pre-show to end of ride.

I haven't been to USF (and not to USH in decades), but clearly Universal has realized the value of putting rides in more engaging environments.

IMO Disney parks aren't rides parks but more themed experience parks. Where as Universal is closer to a Cedar Fair park with a lot better theming. Which means they cater to very different guests. From posts on this board, a lot of Disney guests aren't ride people or visit regional parks much. There is nothing wrong with that.

In the end IMO they both win. MK will always be number 1 but IMO they other parks will fluctuate attendance each year depending on what new attractions are added

IMO Disney parks aren't rides parks but more themed experience parks. Where as Universal is closer to a Cedar Fair park with a lot better theming. Which means they cater to very different guests. From posts on this board, a lot of Disney guests aren't ride people or visit regional parks much. There is nothing wrong with that.

In the end IMO they both win. MK will always be number 1 but IMO they other parks will fluctuate attendance each year depending on what new attractions are added
I appreciate your discussion here but because I've heard it for the millionth time about what this board is and isn't into with respects to regional parks (or well lack of interests) from your viewpoint it might be time to put this observation to rest or perhaps discuss it more on a non-Disney board as it will always skew a certain way here.

I say this with respect it's just you've said it so much so frequently for so many threads if there's even a hint of discussion about the parks

I don't understand why people say that Universal doesn't have a "bubble." Given that Disney no longer has the ME from the airport, the "bubble" is just the resorts and parks connected by buses and monorails. I stayed at Portofino resort and we had a lovely boat that went between the parks, City Walk, and the Hard Rock. I believe that you're allowed to pool hop at the resorts. I also thought that Universal offered boat or bus transportation between City Walk, the parks and the other resorts, too. The Universal resorts that I have seen are lovely and well landscaped. There's lots of restaurants at City Walk.

I am also someone who was a die-hard Disney fan in the 90s. I agree with the above poster that kids fall in love with that ride that they rode over and over again. Disney's rides may be more my style and pace, but the effort and wait time that it takes to ride them overshadows that. Although I'm not a huge fan of all of the motion rides and roller coasters at Universal, I love that the free express passes that you get for staying at the deluxe resorts allow you to hop on most rides whenever you want. There's no planning. No waking up early or criss-crossing the park. No rushing to get to the ride at a certain time. You don't have to worry about dining reservations 60 days out. It's a much more relaxed, enjoyable experience. Part of the Disney magic was wandering the parks in the evening, listening to the music and looking at the lights on the landscaping. It's been too crowded for me to enjoy the ambiance when I go and I'm usually hurrying to get to where I need to be on time. I do hope that Disney goes back to the way it was. In the meantime, I'll be strolling around Universal watching the street performers.

I'm also not so sure about the "Disney fans don't like amusement parks" claim.

Our family got our "going to the parks" start at Cedar Point, which happens to be our local park. Over the years, we've taken many family trips back to Cedar Point, plus visits to Michigan's Adventure, Kings Island, Knotts, and Kings Dominion within the Cedar Fair Chain. We've taken family vacations to the Smokies (and Dollywood), Williamsburg (and Busch Gardens), the Wisconsin Dells (Noah's Ark/Mt. Olympus), Universal Orlando, and Sea World Orlando, in addition to WDW, DLR, and DLR-Paris. I currently hold active season/annual passes to Universal Orlando, Dollywood, and Cedar Point.

I'm sure we are outliers, but I also suspect that a surprising number of WDW guests have also visited another park in the past year or two.

How about Tower of Terror?
Tower is a pretty good example. Unlike most drop towers, it drops you faster-than-gravity, so you aren't merely weightless but get some good airtime. And the theming is top notch.

But, it's also probably an exception. I haven't been on Guardians yet, but I'm hard pressed to think of another thrill ride that is very good as a thrill ride. Incredicoaster (nee California Screamin') is interesting in that it is sort of the smorgasbord of coasters: launch, inversion, lift, twister, out-and-back. Everest isn't bad, particularly in the backward section, and you can almost get some air in the back row out of the projection room.

At the other end of the spectrum, I'm still trying to figure out how Mack made Slinky so boring. It looks like it should be fun based on the layout, but somehow it manages not to be. My daughter is my riding partner, and she pronounced it a one-and-done.

Tower is a pretty good example. Unlike most drop towers, it drops you faster-than-gravity, so you aren't merely weightless but get some good airtime. And the theming is top notch.

But, it's also probably an exception. I haven't been on Guardians yet, but I'm hard pressed to think of another thrill ride that is very good as a thrill ride. Incredicoaster (nee California Screamin') is interesting in that it is sort of the smorgasbord of coasters: launch, inversion, lift, twister, out-and-back. Everest isn't bad, particularly in the backward section, and you can almost get some air in the back row out of the projection room.
I ❤️ Expedition Everest! (My souvenir yeti on the cabinet near the TV is nodding in agreement...) It's certainly a thrill ride by my definition, and the theming of not only the ride itself but also the yeti museum (with items hand-picked by Joe Rohde) and the entire Serka Zong area is outstanding.

I did the math for a last minute once per through EP for just the Studios today (so a terrible value since it's last minute and already mostly through the day) no park to park with 11 attractions available (as I removed both stations of Hogwarts Express) and the cost per attraction for Universal was $16.46. If you wanted to ride Rise today you'd pay $22 just for that.
RotR is a 17 minute ride. Honestly I always thought that ILL had the best value until GotG came out. I didn’t buy any ILLs because we didn’t want to pay when planning worked just as good. Until GotG came out that is 😂 I couldn’t hand my money over fast enough to ride a 3rd time one day.

Adding evening EMH to Deluxe resorts didn't need to be done by Disney irrespective of price until they saw that they needed to. People were willing to spend globs of money without a special perk of evening EMH or the exclusivity of it.
If you watch DVC availability over the months, a pattern stands out. As months become nearly filled, you’ll see just a string of Tues that month still open. Depending on resort and season, patterns around Mon Tues Wed emerge. I guess when all the common type stays overlap, they leave most Mon’s and all Tues’ open one month and maybe all Tues and some Wed’s at a different resort or month. Made me think Mon and Wed EMH’s are to help fill those gaps. It’s very likely deluxe cash side is seeing the same patterns DVC does.

I don't understand why people say that Universal doesn't have a "bubble." Given that Disney no longer has the ME from the airport, the "bubble" is just the resorts and parks connected by buses and monorails. I stayed at Portofino resort and we had a lovely boat that went between the parks, City Walk, and the Hard Rock. I believe that you're allowed to pool hop at the resorts. I also thought that Universal offered boat or bus transportation between City Walk, the parks and the other resorts, too. The Universal resorts that I have seen are lovely and well landscaped. There's lots of restaurants at City Walk.
The bubble on the DIS (this Board) refers to the ability to leave the outside world. Yes you see streets, road signs, can encounter traffic, even see a McDonald's but it's different than Universal where you see the real world all around you. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but when people talk about the bubble they are not talking about the fact that there's a shopping district for Universal or hotels and theme parks and restaurants.

They are talking about the ambience. That to them they can leave the real world behind once they get on Disney's property and at Universal you're still surrounded by it. The only reason this was achievable for Disney is because they purchased so much land long ago. Universal didn't have that advantage.

To give an example it may be hard to tell but this was our room at Endless Summer Surfside where you can see normal city buildings out the window.
1691805594483.png

And for our room at Royal Pacific for part of it you could see the cloverleaf where Universal Blvd and I4 intersect.
This was the good view
1691805785734.png
I don't have a picture of it but to the right was the cloverleaf and the real world.

These don't bother me personally but to those who want the Disney bubble this is what they mean. Also back when DME was around they could take that and then let Disney transportation take them all around the property and it was like they never had to deal with the outside world.

To give an example it may be hard to tell but this was our room at Endless Summer Surfside where you can see normal city buildings out the window.
View attachment 784772

And for our room at Royal Pacific for part of it you could see the cloverleaf where Universal Blvd and I4 intersect.
This was the good view
View attachment 784790
I don't have a picture of it but to the right was the cloverleaf and the real world.

These don't bother me personally but to those who want the Disney bubble this is what they mean. Also back when DME was around they could take that and then let Disney transportation take them all around the property and it was like they never had to deal with the outside world.
As someone who has been on this forum since 2004, I disagree. I have always used and understood the term, "in the bubble" to mean not leaving the physical property.

First off, many WDW hotel rooms have views of traffic and/or service areas/loading docks. Even the very expensive MK view rooms at CR have an ample view of a parking lot and lots of traffic. IMO, traffic is traffic. Much of the traffic visible from CR is WDW employees on their way to/from work. The Skyliner also gives everyone a chance to see lots of backstage area. (Oddly, I enjoy being able to see those real world, backstage areas. They remind me that real people are working hard to make our stay enjoyable.)

Second, while some Royal Pacific rooms have a view of the outside world, many Universal hotel rooms face the parks, and feature views of the rides and/or landscaping. I recall very in-the-bubble view rooms at the deluxe hotels and Sapphire Falls. When staying at most Universal hotels we don't drive/take a bus anywhere. The parks/Citywalk/other hotels are usually all just a short, scenic walk away. We feel more immersed than we do at WDW because we don't drive/take buses. We don't drive anywhere again until we leave.

As someone who has been on this forum since 2004, I disagree. I have always used and understood the term, "in the bubble" to mean not leaving the physical property.

First off, many WDW hotel rooms have views of traffic and/or service areas/loading docks. Even the very expensive MK view rooms at CR have an ample view of a parking lot and lots of traffic. IMO, traffic is traffic. Much of the traffic visible from CR is WDW employees on their way to/from work. The Skyliner also gives everyone a chance to see lots of backstage area. (Oddly, I enjoy being able to see those real world, backstage areas. They remind me that real people are working hard to make our stay enjoyable.)

Second, while some Royal Pacific rooms have a view of the outside world, many Universal hotel rooms face the parks, and feature views of the rides and/or landscaping. I recall very in-the-bubble view rooms at the deluxe hotels and Sapphire Falls. When staying at most Universal hotels we don't drive/take a bus anywhere. The parks/Citywalk/other hotels are usually all just a short, scenic walk away. We feel more immersed than we do at WDW because we don't drive/take buses. We don't drive anywhere again until we leave.
I disagree with your disagree lol. But for real I spent a long time listening to people's rants because contrary to most on the board I hadn't ever stayed on site until 2017 so my perspective was different. Yes being in the bubble means not leaving the property but does not make what a bubble is to those adamant about why they stay at Disney's resorts and why they are willing to fork over the cash. And it's in direct opposition to what Universal offers.

Truly don't get bogged down by my photos you don't need to preface what Universal's hotels offer. The point will always be the same that you see the real world much more with Universal because it's property is not as protected compared to Disney's. And I clearly mentioned you'll see things with Disney, no magic can prevent awful views of roofs (have you seen the thread about awful room views it's kinda funny just in a commiserate way). But still that's not what we're talking about here.

And you may have gotten the incorrect assumption that I'm speaking poorly or negatively about Universal on the contrary I love Universal and loved their hotels but when you are talking about die hard Disney fans they will use the bubble as reason to either not try other resorts not with Disney or to explore other parks, namely Universal. The rest of us know better ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter