WDW Annual Pass Timing Speculation

Titanium

Magic Kingdom
I've been pondering when Disney might restart Florida AP sales.

They've set the new prices so it is a matter of when really I think. We're past the holiday and running event weekends, tomorrow is MLK and President's Day is on the horizon; we've seen ticketing for 2023 after hours return so if I were a gambler I'd place a bet on late January or February.

Some are saying revenge travel has peaked, so this might be a good time to boost revenue before spring break and summer vacations. There is so much pent up demand for APs I'd put them on sale for DVC and FL Residents simultaneously.

After the Chapek years both groups need some TLC so there is no reason to do anything that appears to disadavantage one group vis a vis the other.

My two cents worth on this chilly Florida morning :-)

Thinking back, I think AP sales have opened after signups for an AP Preview ... perhaps this will follow suit and not be available to buy until all TRON AP previews have been filled or even until TRON opens publicly.

It is interesting they announced that Magic Key (Disneyland) sales would resume “from time to time” in 2023. At the same time, they announced NOTHING related to WDW. I’m not sure what to make of it. That’s one of the huge missing pieces. Yet, at the same time, they continue to market the Pixie Dust pass…

Disney has all kinds of interesting data they can look at… for example, how many people are upgrading their passes a year after having Pixie at this point. What percent of DVC members have passes compared to in 2019/2020?

To be honest, for many people, the Pixie Dust pass is probably the best pass there is. Can most easily get the value back, and visit the parks at the time with the least capacity. Problem is, how many times can you take a day off of work to go to Disney….

It is interesting they announced that Magic Key (Disneyland) sales would resume “from time to time” in 2023. At the same time, they announced NOTHING related to WDW. I’m not sure what to make of it. That’s one of the huge missing pieces. Yet, at the same time, they continue to market the Pixie Dust pass…

Disney has all kinds of interesting data they can look at… for example, how many people are upgrading their passes a year after having Pixie at this point. What percent of DVC members have passes compared to in 2019/2020?

To be honest, for many people, the Pixie Dust pass is probably the best pass there is. Can most easily get the value back, and visit the parks at the time with the least capacity. Problem is, how many times can you take a day off of work to go to Disney….

We're self employed so the Pixie pass works well and hotels are lower mid-week, but I'd like the option of some weekend park days if the AP sales open back up.

Thinking back, I think AP sales have opened after signups for an AP Preview ... perhaps this will follow suit and not be available to buy until all TRON AP previews have been filled or even until TRON opens publicly.
Very interesting!

We've had AP for around 15 years. Started with the top tier as we were fully out of state, and each trip was only to WDW and back.

We bought a Florida home (2 hours from WDW) so we are part time FL residents. I kept our big boy pass until COVID. Once they reopened we bought Pixie Passes. We realized we went to the beach on the weekends before and after, avoided most big holidays and the dates work great for us. DS#2 is a teacher so it's not the value for him as us since he's blocked most his holidays. But he still got because even one week there he breaks even. And maybe, like last year he got in two weeks in summer, and one day in fall.

We very much get our monies worth even with being blocked out so much.

Last edited:
To me, the Incredi-Pass only makes sense if
A. You live out of state
OR
B. You will have trips that you KNOW will happen during Easter and Christmas Weeks that are long multi-day visits.

The rest of them are sliding scales of utility. I’m changing jobs soon, which means I will be less available for weekday stays. I’ll either switch to Sorcerer or Pirate… not sure which yet. Might start with Pirate and see how that goes, and how much I can tolerate the weekend crowds.

The Incredi-pass is important for locals too. Going to Disney World for a day or part of a day here and there during the holidays is how we enjoy the holidays. It is well decorated and very festive. A special dining reservation here or there. That includes the days blocked by the Sorcerer pass. We go during the holidays for the same reason out of state people go during the holidays.
Actually if I were local I think I'd have a top tier AP again, at least for DS and I.

They didn’t open up after the cosmic rewind previews

They didn’t open up after the cosmic rewind previews
I wasn't tying in that APs would resume sales after a preview.

I was saying last time they decided to open up APs for purchase, since Remy previews were in the broad window, they set a sale date after so new AP buyers could not get the preview.

I think TRON will be much more in demand than Remy and it makes sense to not bring any more APs into the pool of those trying for the preview. My guess is APs won't go on sale until at least after the previews are done ... but who knows ~ none of us. :tilt:

What I find funny about this whole thing is how Disney limits APs. You have my local park that has sold half a million season passes already and the park doesn't open til May.

I’m thinking about this more. I wonder if Disney wants to tweak (again) the types of passes offered at WDW. This may explain why Magic Key sales were vaguely announced but WDW sales were not.

That could also be because, technically, passes are still available for purchase at WDW, albeit only one type, and only to Florida residents. But I wonder if they are considering adjusting how WDW annual passes are marketed/packaged, etc.

I’m thinking about this more. I wonder if Disney wants to tweak (again) the types of passes offered at WDW. This may explain why Magic Key sales were vaguely announced but WDW sales were not.

That could also be because, technically, passes are still available for purchase at WDW, albeit only one type, and only to Florida residents. But I wonder if they are considering adjusting how WDW annual passes are marketed/packaged, etc.
I suspect they are. DH got a very long annual pass holder survey two weeks ago asking about all the aspects of the program, what he uses, what he most values, etc.

Most interesting question was whether he renews because he wants to, or because he’s worried they’re no longer for sale and so has to keep renewing.

Interestingly they've announced the 2023 higher rates for the upper three tier WDW passes leaving the Pixie price unchanged for 2023, but have not made these three passes available for sale again. Yet.

What I find funny about this whole thing is how Disney limits APs. You have my local park that has sold half a million season passes already and the park doesn't open til May.

This is my first experience with Annual Passes at Disney.

Last edited:
The Incredi-pass is important for locals too. Going to Disney World for a day or part of a day here and there during the holidays is how we enjoy the holidays. It is well decorated and very festive. A special dining reservation here or there. That includes the days blocked by the Sorcerer pass. We go during the holidays for the same reason out of state people go during the holidays.
If I lived closer I would seriously consider the Incredi-Pass but we are two hours away.

We live just far away enough that I’m not willing to just go for the day and always stay one or two nights overnight. I agree with you about the Incredi-Pass. If I lived 20 minutes away, maybe I’d feel otherwise.

On the other hand, I do not ever envision staying more than three nights in a row.

I just keep hoping the top tier one goes on sale by Feb 7th. It’s my last day of my upcoming trip. I’m an out of stater. But sadly, I think it will be after Tron opens.

We're self employed so the Pixie pass works well and hotels are lower mid-week, but I'd like the option of some weekend park days if the AP sales open back up.

Historically, you could upgrade to whatever, once they open sales. If you are local and Pixie is useful, I would consider buying a Pixie in case they get rid of that one too. You don't have to activate it now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter