• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone is a little extra sensitive here and I know that tempers can flare up. It's so hard, we all want to give our children the best, more awesome, most enjoyable experience of their lives and sometimes we can't. It does not matter if your child is NT, autistic, in a wheelchair, blind or whatever, we ALL want the same thing. The REAL problem comes when one person's best vacation ever interferes with someone else's and that is what can happen with things like the old GAC which was as near as made no difference, an unlimited no time restricted fast pass. It's because of issues like that which caused Disney to re-evaluate their access for people with disabilities and change the GAC, which gave many guests preferential access into the DAS, which is supposed to give people equal access. Now, equal might not be "fair" to some but it is equal. We all now have equal access to the rides, we all have to wait out turn, some of us have to wait it in the regular stand by line and some of us will get to wait out that time in a manner that is better for our circumstances.
We went for two weeks in September and he was at no park for more than about 3 hours. The fast pass plus does not work for him because I can't know a day ahead let alone weeks of he will be ok to go to the park or what time we will be there. Of all the fast pass plus I made for him, he used one from 2 weeks.

Sure I get that some people think it is only fair that he wait as long as everyone else and if that means he rides one maybe two rides the whole trip it is only fair not to interfere with the typical child who might only get to ride 10 rides a day.

If he decides he wants to ride a ride, it has to be right then or it isn't happening. I cannot know 30-40 mins ahead of time to get that return time. He had to think about it and watch the ride and insists he won't do it but then all of a sudden he gets the nerve to do it and it's let's go now. If we don't after all that emotional build up while he decides, then he is going to melt down and we are leaving the park. There is no coming back from the melt down and enjoying the rest of the day. It is the hotel room and a super long nap and up all night wrecking the next morning.

Because of his mental and emotional difficulties he does not have equal access to the rides - not in terms of being able to actually go on the rides he enjoys while we are there. No GAC is going to really change that but it helped. This new system is not going to work for him. After asking to go on a ride, he can't wait 30-45 minutes. It may not be right or people may think that it is I ridiculous or spoiled, but that is the reality. Restaurants won't help. He hates them and eats only Cheerios or freeze a dried yogurt drops. But Disney means so very much to him. He thinks about it all the time. His movies are such an important part of his life and to have them come to life is amazing to him. He barely spoke before his first trip to Disney a year ago and he started really speaking at Disney. He started actually playing - real playing not just carrying a toy around- at Disney after having had play therapy for over two years. It was Disney that made such a big difference in his life. Now I can't imagine it working. It breaks my heart for him. He's already asking about it again and I don't think he can go back honestly. The new system simply will not work for him.

Hi. Forgive me if this is really clear I did try to find the answer in the thread but couldn't. When you use a wheelchair or ecv and it's an attraction like TSM tha has an alternative entrance, if you don't have a DAS card wha actually happens when you show up? Do you go to the alternative entrance and they give you a return time based on wait time? If so what do they use to write this on?

I will try to get a DAS card as I have crohns, arthritis and fused hips and spine so many reasons I can't sit in line! But if I don't get one will try to manage with fastpass+ etc. but just wondering what happens with wheelchair users at ride like TSM. Tia.

Hi. Forgive me if this is really clear I did try to find the answer in the thread but couldn't. When you use a wheelchair or ecv and it's an attraction like TSM tha has an alternative entrance, if you don't have a DAS card wha actually happens when you show up? Do you go to the alternative entrance and they give you a return time based on wait time? If so what do they use to write this on?

I will try to get a DAS card as I have crohns, arthritis and fused hips and spine so many reasons I can't sit in line! But if I don't get one will try to manage with fastpass+ etc. but just wondering what happens with wheelchair users at ride like TSM. Tia.

The regular line and fastpass line are both wheelchair accessible. At the point where the two lines merge together there are stairs. It is at this point that guests using wheelchairs, or those that cannot take the stairs, can use the alternative ramp.

I know at toy story mania that the wheelchair goes thru the regular line and when you get right before the stairs they direct you to the right side thru a small door flap and that leads you to the disabled side where the ride car pulls to a side shoot where you can load as slow as you need to.

For some ride that have alternative entrances for wheelchairs eg Splash Mountain, Big Thunder mountain- you need to go to the entrance for the main queue and ask the cast member for a return time.
it will look something like this
https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/387966026459389953/photo/1
hopefully the link worked. :)

I do not know if you can get these for more than 1 ride at a time. :confused3

I also did not know the system for TSM as weve always used a fastpass in the past and then been directed to where wheechairs go. However a few people have already answered that. :goodvibes
I wonder if they will use the return time system for this too? Because I know sometimes weve waited nearly an hour after already waiting in the fastpass queue, due to the amount of people waiting for the wheelchair accessible vehicle.
I wonder if theyre policing the return times and keeping track on how many people are asking for them? Just to prevent situations like this.

The regular line and fastpass line are both wheelchair accessible. At the point where the two lines merge together there are stairs. It is at this point that guests using wheelchairs, or those that cannot take the stairs, can use the alternative ramp.

I know at toy story mania that the wheelchair goes thru the regular line and when you get right before the stairs they direct you to the right side thru a small door flap and that leads you to the disabled side where the ride car pulls to a side shoot where you can load as slow as you need to.

We never *had* a GAC before- if he had stamina issues, we rented an ECV and just used fastpass and a touring plan, and left the parks when we needed to. This time around he seems to be having more flares and things upset his balance more easily with the new infusion schedule- we're keeping our fingers crossed that as his body gets used to it things will settle down. He long ago lost any problem telling anyone about his symptoms- so the CM's won't be a problem, I just didn't know if with the new system a DAS would be something to consider or not depending on how he's feeling that day.

I'm a 20-year vet of Crohn's and got my first GAC last year. The new system will allow him to wait outside the line (and use the bathroom if necessary) vs. feeling trapped in the queue. As someone who experiences severe bathroom issues because of the disease, the GAC (and hopefully the new system, which I will try in less than 10 days) greatly lessened the panic I felt about standing in lines. The other nice thing about the new system is he can wait somewhere more comfortable than the queue, those infusions can really take a lot out of you! :)

For some ride that have alternative entrances for wheelchairs eg Splash Mountain, Big Thunder mountain- you need to go to the entrance for the main queue and ask the cast member for a return time.
it will look something like this
https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/387966026459389953/photo/1
hopefully the link worked. :)

I do not know if you can get these for more than 1 ride at a time. :confused3

I also did not know the system for TSM as weve always used a fastpass in the past and then been directed to where wheechairs go. However a few people have already answered that. :goodvibes
I wonder if they will use the return time system for this too? Because I know sometimes weve waited nearly an hour after already waiting in the fastpass queue, due to the amount of people waiting for the wheelchair accessible vehicle.
I wonder if theyre policing the return times and keeping track on how many people are asking for them? Just to prevent situations like this.

Splash Mountain does NOT have an alternate entry. Both the Fastpass and Regular Standby lines are accessible to the point of the stairway.
At that point, there is a gate to a pathway that avoid the stairs. That pathway has a covered seating area and, at least in our experience, the wait after going there will be similar to the wait for people who have continued up the stairs.

There are 2 reasons for this:
1) obviously, the stairs are not wheelchair accessible
2) Boarding is at one side of the track, unloading is on the other side of the track. The path to the accessible waiting area puts guests on the unload side of the track so that that they will board and unload on the exit side of the track. This means there is no need to try to get a mobility device across the track.

Many people knew that was where they would end up with a wheelchair and just went there, expecting it was the 'wheelchair entry'. But that was not the way it was supposed to be.

Toy Story Mania is a similar situation - the regular and Fastpass lines are accessible to the point of the stairway, which is at the merge of Fastpass and Regular lines.
The stairway in that case takes the guests without disabilities over the little spur line of track that serves the accessible boarding/unload area. Guests use the stairs to cross the track to the boarding side and will unload on the opposite side.
Guests using the accessible loading area stay on the unload side of the track.

]
We went for two weeks in September and he was at no park for more than about 3 hours. The fast pass plus does not work for him because I can't know a day ahead let alone weeks of he will be ok to go to the park or what time we will be there. Of all the fast pass plus I made for him, he used one from 2 weeks.

Sure I get that some people think it is only fair that he wait as long as everyone else and if that means he rides one maybe two rides the whole trip it is only fair not to interfere with the typical child who might only get to ride 10 rides a day.

If he decides he wants to ride a ride, it has to be right then or it isn't happening. I cannot know 30-40 mins ahead of time to get that return time. He had to think about it and watch the ride and insists he won't do it but then all of a sudden he gets the nerve to do it and it's let's go now. If we don't after all that emotional build up while he decides, then he is going to melt down and we are leaving the park. There is no coming back from the melt down and enjoying the rest of the day. It is the hotel room and a super long nap and up all night wrecking the next morning.

Because of his mental and emotional difficulties he does not have equal access to the rides - not in terms of being able to actually go on the rides he enjoys while we are there. No GAC is going to really change that but it helped. This new system is not going to work for him. After asking to go on a ride, he can't wait 30-45 minutes. It may not be right or people may think that it is I ridiculous or spoiled, but that is the reality. Restaurants won't help. He hates them and eats only Cheerios or freeze a dried yogurt drops. But Disney means so very much to him. He thinks about it all the time. His movies are such an important part of his life and to have them come to life is amazing to him. He barely spoke before his first trip to Disney a year ago and he started really speaking at Disney. He started actually playing - real playing not just carrying a toy around- at Disney after having had play therapy for over two years. It was Disney that made such a big difference in his life. Now I can't imagine it working. It breaks my heart for him. He's already asking about it again and I don't think he can go back honestly. The new system simply will not work for him.

There were many reasons for the change, abuse by people lying to get a GAC was just one reason. I understand the media says is because of the abuse but if you really think about it, it makes more sense that it has a lot to do with FP+ and they way they two systems would work together.

hi forgive me if this has already been covered but I cannot sit here and ready all 20+ pages for reasons below.

can someone please tell me where we stand with the new DACs system.

I am clinically blind, and suffer from fits under certain lighting conditions. the conditions I have also cause me severe fatigue, and I get disorientated very easily.
we used to spend a few hours a day in a park at a max. the procedure used to be get a GACs go to the rides I could manage like small world etc as lighting was ideal, then work our way to the areas where I couldn't stand for long because of the lights for example toy story lilo n stitch etc, those rides make me fit, and all the lighting in that area makes me fit after a short period of time. so we would get in there my family would go on the ride using the old GACs and get off again in the fastest time possible so we could then leave the area before I ended up fitting. and many of the queues also have flashing light effects etc so I could never queue in a normal queue

now heres the questions I have about the new system

it states that I must go on a ride to be able to use the DACs, but if my family use a normal que in those areas they will be queing while im left on my own for a longer time in an area that makes me fit so I will end up having a fit. so if I MUST access the rides, can anyoneone tell me will there be a area near the front of all queues that I can exit the ride while they are actually riding and it be a controlled lighting enviroment?

another question is its saying we have to get a time wait around then go on the ride at a certain time, that would be ok I could understand that, but my question is will they have somewhere for people who suffer from fits due to lighting so we can wait around

hi forgive me if this has already been covered but I cannot sit here and ready all 20+ pages for reasons below.

can someone please tell me where we stand with the new DACs system.

I am clinically blind, and suffer from fits under certain lighting conditions. the conditions I have also cause me severe fatigue, and I get disorientated very easily.
we used to spend a few hours a day in a park at a max. the procedure used to be get a GACs go to the rides I could manage like small world etc as lighting was ideal, then work our way to the areas where I couldn't stand for long because of the lights for example toy story lilo n stitch etc, those rides make me fit, and all the lighting in that area makes me fit after a short period of time. so we would get in there my family would go on the ride using the old GACs and get off again in the fastest time possible so we could then leave the area before I ended up fitting. and many of the queues also have flashing light effects etc so I could never queue in a normal queue

now heres the questions I have about the new system

it states that I must go on a ride to be able to use the DACs, but if my family use a normal que in those areas they will be queing while im left on my own for a longer time in an area that makes me fit so I will end up having a fit. so if I MUST access the rides, can anyoneone tell me will there be a area near the front of all queues that I can exit the ride while they are actually riding and it be a controlled lighting enviroment?

another question is its saying we have to get a time wait around then go on the ride at a certain time, that would be ok I could understand that, but my question is will they have somewhere for people who suffer from fits due to lighting so we can wait around

The old GAC was never supposed to allow that - even with the old GAC it was only supposed to be used when the person who needed the GAC (you) was riding the ride. So, there is no change in the rules here, just a close of the loophole that allowed people to do this.

No need for you to wait around in that area - you could wait somewhere that is safe for you while they ride. However, all rides have a "chicken exit" where you can exit if you wait in the line but don't want to ride.

You can wait anywhere you want - you have the whole park at your disposal. You can even eat, shop, watch a parade or go on other rides while you wait. Also, you don't have to ride at a certain time - just after that time (unlike the FPs, the DAS doesn't expire).

Splash Mountain does NOT have an alternate entry. Both the Fastpass and Regular Standby lines are accessible to the point of the stairway.
At that point, there is a gate to a pathway that avoid the stairs. That pathway has a covered seating area and, at least in our experience, the wait after going there will be similar to the wait for people who have continued up the stairs.

There are 2 reasons for this:
1) obviously, the stairs are not wheelchair accessible
2) Boarding is at one side of the track, unloading is on the other side of the track. The path to the accessible waiting area puts guests on the unload side of the track so that that they will board and unload on the exit side of the track. This means there is no need to try to get a mobility device across the track.

Oh I get what you mean, I did mean this way. :thumbsup2
I called it alternative as although weve been in August, Ive still never seen the queue to the point of this entrance- we must always time it right.:) Usually others have headed to the stairs and weve gone another way to the cast member waiting near there. Weve then been directed in, through the exit, via the covered area you talk about.
Weve never gone up the stairs, so was unsure how the waits compared.

Splash Mountain does NOT have an alternate entry. Both the Fastpass and Regular Standby lines are accessible to the point of the stairway. At that point, there is a gate to a pathway that avoid the stairs. That pathway has a covered seating area and, at least in our experience, the wait after going there will be similar to the wait for people who have continued up the stairs. There are 2 reasons for this: 1) obviously, the stairs are not wheelchair accessible 2) Boarding is at one side of the track, unloading is on the other side of the track. The path to the accessible waiting area puts guests on the unload side of the track so that that they will board and unload on the exit side of the track. This means there is no need to try to get a mobility device across the track. Many people knew that was where they would end up with a wheelchair and just went there, expecting it was the 'wheelchair entry'. But that was not the way it was supposed to be. Toy Story Mania is a similar situation - the regular and Fastpass lines are accessible to the point of the stairway, which is at the merge of Fastpass and Regular lines. The stairway in that case takes the guests without disabilities over the little spur line of track that serves the accessible boarding/unload area. Guests use the stairs to cross the track to the boarding side and will unload on the opposite side. Guests using the accessible loading area stay on the unload side of the track.

When you return, will they walk you to the front or will you still have to wait in the FP or alternate entrance line? What happens if you return a little late? A lot late?

I have a question about using the stroller as a wheelchair. We go to DW in early Nov for the first time. My 6 YO has some health issues and is immune compromised. I think we will ask for the stroller as a wheelchair tag, so that he can rest if he gets tired and hopefully being in the stroller will keep him further away from germy surfaces and germy people. Since he has no problem with stairs or getting into/out of rides, if we use his stroller as a wheelchair for him to sit while we wait, will we still have to go through the wheelchair entrance at rides and wait for an accessible ride vehicle? When I did my original research I was going to get him a GAC, but with the new system, I'm not sure if he needs any further accommodation that the stroller as a wheelchair tag. I'm not sure if getting a DAS and a return time will keep him any further away from hoards of germy people than sitting in his stroller in the que. Although keeping him in the stroller may be a problem, but that is my problem! I did all of the research and planned our trip for less crowded times, and when the weather would be in a suitable range for us. (DS doesn't tolerate extremes of cold or heat well, and neither do I (I have multiple health issues too-ulcerative colitis, neurocardiogenic syncope, asthma, hypothyroidism, GERD, and Atrial tachycardia, but most of it is well controlled with medication, compression garments, diet, etc)). We are also on the fastpass+ thing, so I'm sure we will try that.

When you return, will they walk you to the front or will you still have to wait in the FP or alternate entrance line? What happens if you return a little late? A lot late?

No problem if you're late. Whenever you get there, they'll cross out your reservation. Same thing if you decide you don't want to go on. Just cross it out yourself and get another reservation.

I have a few questions.

1. my friend's son has autism and has a meltdown if he has to wait more than 25 minutes in line.He is 23.Will they give him a DAS card even though he is 23 ?
2. I have another friend who wears knee braces but does not use a wheelchair. Would telling them he has knee braces,that he can't wait more than 25 minutes in line,and explain why(which is due to him having major pain up and down his leg if he waits longer) enough? or does he need to give them more info.?
3. When you go to get a return time what cm do you give your card to ? Do you give it to a cm at the entrance to the stand-by line or to the cm at the fastpass/fastpass plus line ?

No one has specifically reported, but chances are good that guests with a DAS return time will come into the Fastpass line.

DAS Return Passes are valid until you use them..
You can't come before the return time, but you can come any time after.
You will not be able to get another DAS Return Time as long as you have an active one on your card.

No one has specifically reported, but chances are good that guests with a DAS return time will come into the Fastpass line.

DAS Return Passes are valid until you use them..
You can't come before the return time, but you can come any time after.
You will not be able to get another DAS Return Time as long as you have an active one on your card.

There is a little podium at between each standby and FP+ line. You go to the podium for your time to be written and you return to the FP+ line. I'll take pictures this weekend when we are there.

There is a little podium at between each standby and FP+ line. You go to the podium for your time to be written and you return to the FP+ line. I'll take pictures this weekend when we are there.
Thanks
Pictures would be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter