WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a little podium at between each standby and FP+ line. You go to the podium for your time to be written and you return to the FP+ line. I'll take pictures this weekend when we are there.

Is it the same podium you go to if you had a fast pass plus reservation I know they added them to all attractions. That has fast pass plus with a computer for the cm to see the reservation.

For some ride that have alternative entrances for wheelchairs eg Splash Mountain, Big Thunder mountain- you need to go to the entrance for the main queue and ask the cast member for a return time. it will look something like this https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/387966026459389953/photo/1 hopefully the link worked. :) I do not know if you can get these for more than 1 ride at a time. :confused3 I also did not know the system for TSM as weve always used a fastpass in the past and then been directed to where wheechairs go. However a few people have already answered that. :goodvibes I wonder if they will use the return time system for this too? Because I know sometimes weve waited nearly an hour after already waiting in the fastpass queue, due to the amount of people waiting for the wheelchair accessible vehicle. I wonder if theyre policing the return times and keeping track on how many people are asking for them? Just to prevent situations like this. thanks :thumbsup2

Oh how helpful thank you very much everybody that kindly replied. I really appreciate it :-)

If I don't get DAS card issued for some reason I do think 3 fastpass+ will be ok for me as I cannot do long days anyway. I would schedule them all in the morning or afternoon if possible. I am going to keep open minded anyway and try it first before deciding if it's better or worse. We just did the test of fastpass + and we thought it was great. I got to do things like character meet and greet that GAC did not cater for and ETWB :-)

Thanks
Pictures would be helpful

:thumbsup2 We'll be there Sunday and Monday.

Oh how helpful thank you very much everybody that kindly replied. I really appreciate it :-)

If I don't get DAS card issued for some reason I do think 3 fastpass+ will be ok for me as I cannot do long days anyway. I would schedule them all in the morning or afternoon if possible. I am going to keep open minded anyway and try it first before deciding if it's better or worse. We just did the test of fastpass + and we thought it was great. I got to do things like character meet and greet that GAC did not cater for and ETWB :-)

I was told over the phone that DAS will for every single attraction and character M&G that has a wait time. So even Storytime with Belle and some of the character M&G.

We went for two weeks in September and he was at no park for more than about 3 hours. The fast pass plus does not work for him because I can't know a day ahead let alone weeks of he will be ok to go to the park or what time we will be there. Of all the fast pass plus I made for him, he used one from 2 weeks.

Sure I get that some people think it is only fair that he wait as long as everyone else and if that means he rides one maybe two rides the whole trip it is only fair not to interfere with the typical child who might only get to ride 10 rides a day.

If he decides he wants to ride a ride, it has to be right then or it isn't happening. I cannot know 30-40 mins ahead of time to get that return time. He had to think about it and watch the ride and insists he won't do it but then all of a sudden he gets the nerve to do it and it's let's go now. If we don't after all that emotional build up while he decides, then he is going to melt down and we are leaving the park. There is no coming back from the melt down and enjoying the rest of the day. It is the hotel room and a super long nap and up all night wrecking the next morning.

Because of his mental and emotional difficulties he does not have equal access to the rides - not in terms of being able to actually go on the rides he enjoys while we are there. No GAC is going to really change that but it helped. This new system is not going to work for him. After asking to go on a ride, he can't wait 30-45 minutes. It may not be right or people may think that it is I ridiculous or spoiled, but that is the reality. Restaurants won't help. He hates them and eats only Cheerios or freeze a dried yogurt drops. But Disney means so very much to him. He thinks about it all the time. His movies are such an important part of his life and to have them come to life is amazing to him. He barely spoke before his first trip to Disney a year ago and he started really speaking at Disney. He started actually playing - real playing not just carrying a toy around- at Disney after having had play therapy for over two years. It was Disney that made such a big difference in his life. Now I can't imagine it working. It breaks my heart for him. He's already asking about it again and I don't think he can go back honestly. The new system simply will not work for him.

I completely understand what you are saying, and I feel for you in every way!

My son had ASD and is 11 we have used the GAC now for many years, its going to be so hard for children who have already experienced the GAC and how it worked!
Disney for our children and family is the place where we can finally feel like a weight is lifted!

I have no idea how many will cope with the new DAS card!
We have used acclamations like this as in the UK our parks work somewhat like this, although....
You get to go on a ride thought the FP line straight away for your 1st ride then you get a time written for the next ride and so on..

It works well but at some parks you go straight to the Exits " same workings as above with the time Written etc"

I actually feel that some conditions DO need special considerations and accommodations which is why the way UK parks work is great but you have to provide documentation!!

I do wonder if eventually there will be the DAC plus another type of assistance, one where you will need to show proof to get the more special accommodation!
If disney can not ask for proof due to the ADA for equal access I wonder if they will do both?

I'm not saying they should! Before I get flamed I'm saying with so many saying this wont work for their family's ,I wonder if disney will try and find a way to accommodate all needs?

hi forgive me if this has already been covered but I cannot sit here and ready all 20+ pages for reasons below.

can someone please tell me where we stand with the new DACs system.

I am clinically blind, and suffer from fits under certain lighting conditions. the conditions I have also cause me severe fatigue, and I get disorientated very easily.
we used to spend a few hours a day in a park at a max. the procedure used to be get a GACs go to the rides I could manage like small world etc as lighting was ideal, then work our way to the areas where I couldn't stand for long because of the lights for example toy story lilo n stitch etc, those rides make me fit, and all the lighting in that area makes me fit after a short period of time. so we would get in there my family would go on the ride using the old GACs and get off again in the fastest time possible so we could then leave the area before I ended up fitting. and many of the queues also have flashing light effects etc so I could never queue in a normal queue

now heres the questions I have about the new system

it states that I must go on a ride to be able to use the DACs, but if my family use a normal que in those areas they will be queing while im left on my own for a longer time in an area that makes me fit so I will end up having a fit. so if I MUST access the rides, can anyoneone tell me will there be a area near the front of all queues that I can exit the ride while they are actually riding and it be a controlled lighting enviroment?

another question is its saying we have to get a time wait around then go on the ride at a certain time, that would be ok I could understand that, but my question is will they have somewhere for people who suffer from fits due to lighting so we can wait around

I'll try to explain for you...

Clinically blind -- I know this has sometimes been a challenge for CMs to understand in the past. One suggestion that is often recommended is that you carry a white cane due to your diagnosis, whether or not you typically utilize one in "regular" life. This is a visual sign to others (CMs and other guests) that you may need to move a little slower and/or need some assistance. There are also other accommodations for vision - just mention your concerns at each attraction, if you want front seating or what. This itself does not require a DAS.

You mention extreme fatigue -- the accommodation for stamina or mobility issues has been and will continue to be enforced to rent a wheelchair or ECV. That will help you conserve your energy so you don't fatigue as quickly. You do not have to ride in the wheelchair/ECV the whole time, you may trade off with other members of your party to allow you to walk, or with a wheelchair you can push it using the chair to carry your bags and such. This will not qualify for a DAS.

Disoriented easily -- I'm not sure what a DAS can do for you, and I suspect WDW's recommendation would be to have someone else with you at the parks who can help to re-orient you if/when needed. You mention going with the family so presumably that shouldn't be a problem unless you ride alone.

Can't stand for long -- again, a wheelchair or ECV is the recommended accommodation.

I'm not sure I understand the "fits" you have regarding lighting, though I certainly can understand that quick changes from bright to darkness probably cause considerable challenges. I think this is the focus of your request for a DAS. Being in a line with lighting changes makes it very hard for you to see well enough to move safely though the line.

GAC was never intended for the other members of your party to ride without you, and DAS will require that you ride with them. They are welcome to use Fastpasses and a touring plan to help them get on/off rides quicker, and they can utilize Rider Switch which will allow someone to wait with you so you aren't left unattended for so long. You may "wait" wherever it is comfortable for you, you do not have to wait somewhere that the light is bothering you enough to cause fits. Lighting that bothers you may not be the same as lighting that bothers another guest, so WDW cannot control lighting for you - rather you need to control where you go to wait, be that into a shop, dining area, or wherever is most comfortable.

Unfortunately, allowing you or your family to do more rides in a shorter period of time is simply not an accommodation that can be made. But allowing you to utilize a mobility device to preserve your energy longer, allowing someone to wait with you, and allowing you to avoid waiting in lines with lighting concerns that are unsafe for you should hopefully provide a longer period of time for you and your family to enjoy the park.

So I do believe you can qualify for a DAS but leave out all the miscellaneous stuff from the request as that just confuses the CMs. Talk about your vision issues, lighting changes, and how that negates your ability to safely maneuver through the queues. The rest of the issues you have mentioned above are just confusion topics and could cause the CM to not recognize your real need, which relates to your vision.

Enjoy your vacation!

I have a question about using the stroller as a wheelchair. We go to DW in early Nov for the first time. My 6 YO has some health issues and is immune compromised. I think we will ask for the stroller as a wheelchair tag, so that he can rest if he gets tired and hopefully being in the stroller will keep him further away from germy surfaces and germy people. Since he has no problem with stairs or getting into/out of rides, if we use his stroller as a wheelchair for him to sit while we wait, will we still have to go through the wheelchair entrance at rides and wait for an accessible ride vehicle? When I did my original research I was going to get him a GAC, but with the new system, I'm not sure if he needs any further accommodation that the stroller as a wheelchair tag. I'm not sure if getting a DAS and a return time will keep him any further away from hoards of germy people than sitting in his stroller in the que. Although keeping him in the stroller may be a problem, but that is my problem! I did all of the research and planned our trip for less crowded times, and when the weather would be in a suitable range for us. (DS doesn't tolerate extremes of cold or heat well, and neither do I (I have multiple health issues too-ulcerative colitis, neurocardiogenic syncope, asthma, hypothyroidism, GERD, and Atrial tachycardia, but most of it is well controlled with medication, compression garments, diet, etc)). We are also on the fastpass+ thing, so I'm sure we will try that.

You will still be able to use stroller-as-wheelchair - just request a tag at Guest Relations. That will allow him to remain in the stroller while in lines (most strollers must be parked outside the ride), right up to where you'll enter the ride vehicle. You do not need to utilize an accessible ride vehicle since he can transfer to the regular car. The stroller will be waiting for you when you get off. With the stroller-as-wheelchair tag you will be avoiding stairs, unless you wish to park the stroller and walk that particular line; I don't believe they'll allow you to have him walk the stairs and carry the stroller up due to safety, so you'll need to choose walking stairs or utilizing the stroller in line.

Previously at WDW, a GAC was given hand-in-hand with the stroller tag, but the new DAS system does not work that way.

As for DAS to avoid waiting in "germy" lines -- really think about this and is there any place "less germy" that you might wait? I don't really think lines are any germier than the rest of the park. And as you have planned, using the stroller-as-wheelchair will keep him from touching a lot of surfaces.

A DAS, nor the previous GAC, provides any accommodation for extremes of heat and cold. You've done your research and plan to go at a time of year most conducive to those concerns. It can be warm in FL, so if overheating is a major concern many people utilize cooling vests or other items designed to help cool the body. You can do an Internet search.

As for the other diagnoses you mention -- those are diagnoses and while you know what they mean and how they impact you, the CMs may never have heard those words before. If you think there is a "need" associated with those diagnoses and how you might tour the parks, then you should be prepared to discuss such "needs" with the Guest Relations CMs. Keep this discussion separate from the request for stroller-as-wheelchair.

Any diet-related issues will not be accommodated by a DAS, but you will want to make note of allergies or intolerances on any ADRs for table service meals. Counter-service locations have an allergy book that lists ingredients if that will help you to make appropriate choices, just ask.

Enjoy your vacation! It sounds like you have done some great research in advance to prepare your family.

Okay thanks glad their got more then one use out of those podiums. Did you have to show the das to the first cm and the second cm like fast pass plus or did the second know what you needed.

On Monday there was an overabundance of CM at both of the attractions we went to. There was a cm at FP+, stand-by, and w/c. For Jungle Cruise, I went to the standby line. That cm told me I needed to go to the cm at the podium for a return time. Upon return since ds used his w/c we returned to the podium and they sent us to the w/c. We had to wait for an accessible boat. There were no other w/c in front of us, otherwise the wait would have been an added 10 minutes/ w/c party. That's how long they told me it would take for the boat to come back around.

At the magic carpets, we went to the podium, got the time written and returned to the FP+ cm.

We were only there 3 hours. This was all we accomplished. DS refused to let us use FP because the time restrictions make him nervous. However as we were heading to our car he announced that he had the best day ever. So I guess in the end, that's all that counts.

On Monday there was an overabundance of CM at both of the attractions we went to. There was a cm at FP+, stand-by, and w/c. For Jungle Cruise, I went to the standby line. That cm told me I needed to go to the cm at the podium for a return time. Upon return since dh used his w/c we returned to the podium and they sent us to the w/c. We had to wait for an accessible boat. There were no other w/c in front of us, otherwise the wait would have been an added 10 minutes/ w/c party. That's how long they told me it would take for the boat to come back around.

At the magic carpets, we went to the podium, got the time written and returned to the FP+ cm.

We were only there 3 hours. This was all we accomplished. DS refused to let us use FP because the time restrictions make him nervous. However as we were heading to our car he announced that he had the best day ever. So I guess in the end, that's all that counts.

Okay thanks yes as long as he happy that all that counts as time goes by the system will get better. So hopefully every time you go to Disney he think it was the best day ever.

Upon return since ds used his w/c we returned to the podium and they sent us to the w/c. We had to wait for an accessible boat. There were no other w/c in front of us, otherwise the wait would have been an added 10 minutes/ w/c party. That's how long they told me it would take for the boat to come back around.

I will never understand how wheelchair users who cannot transfer are not given a shorter return time or (under the old GAC system) sent straight through the FP line rather than standby. How is it fair for them to wait the normal time PLUS whatever the w/c line time is?

Glad that your son had a good time though!

On Monday there was an overabundance of CM at both of the attractions we went to. There was a cm at FP+, stand-by, and w/c. For Jungle Cruise, I went to the standby line. That cm told me I needed to go to the cm at the podium for a return time. Upon return since ds used his w/c we returned to the podium and they sent us to the w/c. We had to wait for an accessible boat. There were no other w/c in front of us, otherwise the wait would have been an added 10 minutes/ w/c party. That's how long they told me it would take for the boat to come back around.

Absolutely! What a great attitude you have (which, as we've said, likely makes a huge difference for you son).

Yay! for the "best day ever"! :goodvibes:thumbsup2
I'm still working on ways around my guy getting worried about missing return times. I'm hoping once we get him to try it a few times, he will see it isn't so hard to make it there. That is, if I can keep everyone organized enough to NOT miss those times! No pressure. LOL! It will not be easy with 3 little ones, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

buzzCMlightyear said:
I'll do my best to list out some attractions I know aren't w/c accessible and will have an alternate entrance for you.

MK:
Space Mountain
Tomorrowland Speedway
Buzz Lightyear: Same queue but different loading process at the end.
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Jungle Cruise
Peter Pan
Small World? Not sure about this one.
Little Mermaid: Same queue but different loading process at the end.

DHS:
Everything is accessible to my knowledge.

Epcot:
Spaceship Earth
Nemo: Same queue but different loading process at the end.

DAK:
Everything is accessible to my knowledge.

If anyone else knows of another I can add it to my list in order to make it a complete list.

Actually, Space Mountain IS wheel chair accessible! The CMs will tell you to get a FP first, and you must transfer from an ECV to a WC. But the WC is taken thru the entire line! :)

:thumbsup2 We'll be there Sunday and Monday. I was told over the phone that DAS will for every single attraction and character M&G that has a wait time. So even Storytime with Belle and some of the character M&G.

Oh how exciting thanks! Hope I get one then. I can't wait in lines at all no matter what they say about wheelchairs/EVC try doing that for over 10 mins with fused hips, inflammation in the spine and Crohns disease! Not a good combo lol.

I will never understand how wheelchair users who cannot transfer are not given a shorter return time or (under the old GAC system) sent straight through the FP line rather than standby. How is it fair for them to wait the normal time PLUS whatever the w/c line time is?

Glad that your son had a good time though!

He is able to transfer. But with all the new changes he was more comfortable staying in the w/c. So the wait was worth it. He has trouble with the big step down and the boat moving at the same time, so it worked out better all around.

It's not fair. However, the new DAS does tell guests that in the terms and conditions that "When utilizing this service it is possible to experience waits greater than the posted wait time."

Absolutely! What a great attitude you have (which, as we've said, likely makes a huge difference for you son).

:thumbsup2 Any time at Disney is better than no time there. :)

Yay! for the "best day ever"! :goodvibes:thumbsup2
I'm still working on ways around my guy getting worried about missing return times. I'm hoping once we get him to try it a few times, he will see it isn't so hard to make it there. That is, if I can keep everyone organized enough to NOT miss those times! No pressure. LOL! It will not be easy with 3 little ones, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

The new system definitely requires more planning on the guests behalf, it was more work for dh and I. When we go back this weekend, we are going to try FP without telling him we have them. Same with the DAS. Find out what he wants to ride and one of us will go get the time on his card without him knowing. The less he knows, the less he'll worry about it.

Originally Posted by okemon223
I have a few questions. 1. my friend's son has autism and has a meltdown if he has to wait more than 25 minutes in line.He is 23.Will they give him a DAS card even though he is 23 ? 2. I have another friend who wears knee braces but does not use a wheelchair. Would telling them he has knee braces,that he can't wait more than 25 minutes in line,and explain why(which is due to him having major pain up and down his leg if he waits longer) enough? or does he need to give them more info.? 3. When you go to get a return time what cm do you give your card to ? Do you give it to a cm at the entrance to the stand-by line or to the cm at the fastpass/fastpass plus line ?

2. They will likely say use a mobility vehicle (wheelchair, etc)
3. Alternate entrance or FP line, not standby

Oh how exciting thanks! Hope I get one then. I can't wait in lines at all no matter what they say about wheelchairs/EVC try doing that for over 10 mins with fused hips, inflammation in the spine and Crohns disease! Not a good combo lol.

I was confused about ds having a w/c and the card. Because Disney's site made it seem like it wasn't possible. I wrote an email then called the number from the email to ask. That way I knew ahead of time if ds was eligible or not since he has a w/c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter