WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue with charging stations is that they still take away from Park time. So, really this is something that is more of a major issue than it might appear at first glance.

And this doesn't count the people who can do the parks, but can't handle the additional traveling, either via a manual chair or walking.

It is just one of last few the things that definitely needs to be corrected with the new system.

Walking - addressed by using a mobility device. That has been Disney's official standard response for years.

Not having a full, well charged battery - personal responsibility, not Disney's responsibility at all. If it is a rental from Disney, they will replace it.

Manual Chair - personal responsibility. Disney's official standard response for stamina and endurance issues is to get an ECV or wheelchair. Which one someone gets is their personal choice.

I do believe that Disney will add the DAS to the Magic Band, MDE app, etc. at some time. I have no problem with more kiosks either, with DAS access as well. But there would still be travel time and distance.

This issue with charging stations is that they still take away from Park time. So, really this is something that is more of a major issue than it might appear at first glance.

Knowing that I have no clue how you charge an ECV, is this something where they might be able to have outlets located where you park an ECV while on a ride for those who transfer? Is it worth people making that suggestion or is charging more complicated than that? It seems there could even be places where you could almost have a parked line of people each with an outlet there so while waiting 20 minutes for TSM or SE you could be sitting there plugged in.
Maybe in the future back-up batteries will become a more common thing like with cell phones now.

I think it will help loads of people if WDW starts adding kiosks for DAS (and possibly wheelchair return times, although I understand why those are more difficult). If they also make it possible to get times at the attraction, it seems like a combination of doing both would be beneficial for the most amount of people. No system will work for everyone, but it seems like the combination would be the best way to cover as many as possible.

One thing I'd like to note about charging a power wheelchair or ECV is that it reduces battery volume and life to recharge partially or to "top up" while out and about. That's one of the reasons you're supposed to charge them overnight for approximately 8-12 hours every night, regardless of battery level (the charger will shut off when the battery is full; the most accurate way to check if it's fully recharged is the light on the charger). My guess with rented ECVs that the fact that renters commonly do "top up" is part of the reason there may be issues with batteries lasting all day. Even renters who know how to treat the batteries well and do may be dealing with batteries that aren't in as good shape due to previous renters. I know both times I've rented a powerchair near WDW, I've had issues with the batteries holding charge (same for other people I know who've used a different company for renting a powerchair, so it's not just the company I used). Most non-renters know not to top-up and many, especially when it comes to powerchairs, probably didn't have much choice on the range of the wheelchair they have (insurance rules on coverage or what they could afford). It shouldn't be common for personally-owned power chairs to completely deplete their battery during a day at WDW, but I can see how it could happen. Most good powerchairs should get about 10 "real world" miles in a single charge which is a long day in WDW, but definitely not impossible. Turning the ECV or powerchair off while stationary is a good idea and will help (powerchairs, at least, generally have regenerative breaking), but it's not going to substantially increase battery range. And back-up batteries aren't currently feasible as something to haul around with you because of the weight of powerchair and ECV batteries.

Funny you should mention charging ecvs in the park. I saw more ECVs being charged in the parks this trip then any other week we have been there. It was like the charging stations at the airports for cells phones. Every outlet seemed to have an ECV on the other end. Now I'm wondering if it is all the runnig back and forth. We have never had to charge my moms during our days in the parks as we never went far. This was first trip we actually saw the charge meter go to yellow. Usually doesn't go out of green.

mistysue said:
Have you also tried bringing something for him to do in line? He might do better with a little portable game or activity during busier times of day, which may allow you to go into slightly longer rides than without the game. It could also save you if there is a backup in the FP line or on transportation.

I have the same problem with me son but a portable devices doesn't work. It makes him more hyper

We had an ECV and a DAS. I actually rode dd's ECV to get the return times because it was faster and saved my tired feet while she rested or browsed a shop. The only problem we had with the battery was the first night when the battery dropped from full to almost nothing and it was having trouble getting on the bus. We called the company and they replaced it the following morning. Never saw anything lower than green again and several of our days lasted past midnight. We even forgot to plug it up one night. I only saw one person charging and that was outside of the Garden Grill restaurant. I'm thinking some ECVs need new batteries if they die that quickly.

I have seen ECV folks have rented with sunshades on the top. Given the new return time system I thought this would be a good idea for me as I get terrible sun stroke issues and my skin is sensitive to the sun.

Do you add them on with the ECV for those that have done this or are they your own you have purchased and brought with you? The scooter company I rented from I didn't see them as an option. Thanks!

Back when it was an SAP, telling Guest Services that you had lupus got you an automatic SAP, no further questions asked. Obviously that was ripe for abuse and a lot more people started showing up with it, and they changed the program from having to mention your condition to having to state your accommodation needs. But now it seems as if it's easier to ask for a DAS for other conditions than it is for lupus. The more complex a disability, the harder it is to explain how it impacts you in line. Anyway, having two disabilities in a family makes touring harder too. You can always ask for a DAS and have it as back-up.

With my nephew who has ADHD if we kept him mentally busy it helped a lot. So we did a hidden Mickey contest. He carried a small note pad and would keep track of how many hidden mickeys every one found. At the end of the day who ever found the most was the winner and got to choose the first ride/show etc the next day. It got competitive so we had to limit the spotting to in lines so we could walk around safely.

With my nephew who has ADHD if we kept him mentally busy it helped a lot. So we did a hidden Mickey contest. He carried a small note pad and would keep track of how many hidden mickeys every one found. At the end of the day who ever found the most was the winner and got to choose the first ride/show etc the next day. It got competitive so we had to limit the spotting to in lines so we could walk around safely.

I love that. I bet it was one of his happiest memories!

Please could someone explain to me how entry to the accessible entrance now works with the gas at dw? My husband has complex issues, and we previously had GAC for alternate entrance. I am sure we will be able to adjust to the new system, but how does it work at big thunder and splash for example where the FP line is not appropriate, and the disability is not always obvious? Please don't suggest a WC or ECV as neither of these are appropriate to his needs, thanks

We had an ECV and a DAS. I actually rode dd's ECV to get the return times because it was faster and saved my tired feet while she rested or browsed a shop. The only problem we had with the battery was the first night when the battery dropped from full to almost nothing and it was having trouble getting on the bus. We called the company and they replaced it the following morning. Never saw anything lower than green again and several of our days lasted past midnight. We even forgot to plug it up one night. I only saw one person charging and that was outside of the Garden Grill restaurant. I'm thinking some ECVs need new batteries if they die that quickly.

Curious as to which company u used? I had the same issue, but they corrected it quickly

I have seen ECV folks have rented with sunshades on the top. Given the new return time system I thought this would be a good idea for me as I get terrible sun stroke issues and my skin is sensitive to the sun. Do you add them on with the ECV for those that have done this or are they your own you have purchased and brought with you? The scooter company I rented from I didn't see them as an option. Thanks!

I saw people with the sun shades on my last trip and most of their scooters had signs from Buena Vista rentals. I'm definitely going to look into that on my next trip, I don't do well in the sun either.

Please could someone explain to me how entry to the accessible entrance now works with the gas at dw? My husband has complex issues, and we previously had GAC for alternate entrance. I am sure we will be able to adjust to the new system, but how does it work at big thunder and splash for example where the FP line is not appropriate, and the disability is not always obvious? Please don't suggest a WC or ECV as neither of these are appropriate to his needs, thanks
If you have not checked post 1 of this thread, that is a good place to start since it does cover most of the FAQs.

As far as requesting a DAS, he will need to explain his needs related to editing in line at guest a Relations.

Fastpass entrances are being used as the DAS entry for attractions, including Splash Mountain. That attraction is accessible thru the regular and Fastpass lines up to the stairs.

WDW really has very few alternate entries - in most cases they exist because the regular line is not accessible. That is the case for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
As far as I know, guests with DAS cards who do NOT have a mobility device are during the Fastpass line for that attraction. guests with mobility devices or visible mobility needs (crutches, cane, etc) are the ones being sent to the alternate entry there.
The BTMRR Fastpass and regular queues are accessible. The reasons guests with mobility devices can't use them is because there is a vet steep ramp in the line and boarding is on one side of the track, with exit at the other side so there would be no way to get the mobility device over the track.

If he feels he can't use the Fastpass line for return, he would need to discuss that at every attraction and be aware that there may be no options other then the Fastpass return line.

I noticed that there was an update to Post#1. Maybe it's my vision issues but I can't tell what's been changed. Can someone fill me in?

I noticed the same thing.

Sue, the Moderator, could you please highlight the new information for us in Post #1 so that it stands out as new information. Thank you.

I wasn't aware the FP line for BTMMR wasn't accessible if you're using a mobility device? Guess seeing as I have a chair it would be pointless me booking a FP+ for it then haha?

I noticed the same thing.

Sue, the Moderator, could you please highlight the new information for us in Post #1 so that it stands out as new information. Thank you.
I tried doing that, but it's hard to do without 2 computers to view it on.

When I am in edit mode, I see all the HTML coding, that start and stop coding different things into lists, color, size, bold
It gets very confusing trying to add something else to designate new information (and then edit it out again when the next new stuff is added).
And, sometimes I am editing a word or 2 out because something is no longer a rumor.

I can tell you the changes I remember had to do with 6 guests on the DAS card.
It is confirmed they will be able to do more than 6, but it requires a supervisor to do more than 6 and all members of the party need to be present when requesting the DAS for a quantity over 6

I tried doing that, but it's hard to do without 2 computers to view it on.

When I am in edit mode, I see all the HTML coding, that start and stop coding different things into lists, color, size, bold
It gets very confusing trying to add something else to designate new information (and then edit it out again when the next new stuff is added).
And, sometimes I am editing a word or 2 out because something is no longer a rumor.

I can tell you the changes I remember had to do with 6 guests on the DAS card.
It is confirmed they will be able to do more than 6, but it requires a supervisor to do more than 6 and all members of the party need to be present when requesting the DAS for a quantity over 6

t€hanks so much, Sue, for clearing that up for me. Certainly don't mean to cause you more work. Really appreciate every thing you do here!

Quick update:

DAS from MK was quick, informative and helpful.
I discussed my needs only:
Difficult to wait in lines @ certain times due to need for medication administration (pain pump I told her, but prob no need?) at certain times, which would force me to leave the stand by line & unable to ride with family.
She explained all rules & it only took about 5-10 min

Scooter: had a bit of a problem. Battery went dead. Called company & they met me @ MK in approx 40 min.

Otherwise, ppl are extremely helpful, except for rude ppl who jump in front of scooter to get in front of you. (Sorry, off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter