WDW in late August

Took my DD two years ago this weekend for her bday. I detest being hot and sweaty, but that time just worked out. We actually had a great trip, and went commando, but only for three days; we’d have needed shorter days or a rest day for a longer trip. My absolute essentials were my Hydroflask, Mission cooling towel, small fan, and my “cleanup kit”—wipes, deodorant, and powder. Helped me feel human again throughout the day.

We have been in late August and are leaving soon for this years late August trip. As you have stated in your original post you really never know with the weather but my experience has been positive. As long as you know that it's going to be hot and humid with the occasional thunderstorm you will be all set! We pack cooling towels and umbrellas and carry on! As an added bonus we get to attend MNSSHP this year!

The only two times that I've been were in late August. In 2003 we had thunderstorms everyday. In 2008, we had Tropical Storm Faye hovering over us for most of the trip.
Still had a blast thought.

As long as you have ponchos for the afternoon storms and drink lots of water it works out fine. It's hot and humid all year round, but August has always seemed the worst. We are going in a few weeks and my boyfriend thinks it's going to be cooler at night. Little does he know lol.

I guess I'm going to be the odd duck and say I would never go to WDW in August.
Nope, you've got company. I would never be a Guest at WDW in August, or any other summer month. There are much better times to go.
(Full disclosure, I've lived in the Orlando area and worked at WDW for over two decades.)

Happy to know that so many enjoy going this time of year. Although the weather is not optimal for comfort, my family is not really concerned about the heat. Our bigger concern was the rain and it seems like that doesn't really disrupt to much, on the whole.

We live in CA so it can be pretty hot in the summer here too. Right now it’ll be around 98 but last month there was a day or 2 where it was up to 112.

We do DL as APs and everything is pretty much outside in the sun. Last year we went to WDW for the 1st time in August and the heat and humidity didn’t bother us much, plus we were surprised that many of the queues were underneath a covering of some sort with fans, or inside with AC!! It was amazing. Definitely different from DL.

We also loved the pool time. It was nice to swim in the evening and feel a little warm. We took it easy most days.

We’re going again this August... 9 more days go be exact! Can’t wait!

Nope, you've got company. I would never be a Guest at WDW in August, or any other summer month. There are much better times to go.
(Full disclosure, I've lived in the Orlando area and worked at WDW for over two decades.)

Are you just talking about weather or crowds as well?
Because as far as crowds go summer is "the new best time".
Meanwhile October is the new summer lol.
As far as weather goes if you know how to handle it its really not that big of an impact.
Do I prefer December weather? Sure but at least August you know how to pack lol.

We've done May, March, August, and October trips. Most of our trips have been middle/end of August and even though it's super hot, it's less crowded and the parks are open pretty late (but check the website to see where they switch to shorter days, usually somewhere near the end of August). Not many rides down due to scheduled maintenance then either, unlike other times of the year.

Last edited:
Been here the past 7 days and it has barely rained. It rained maybe twice on my trip and it was for 30 mins once and the other 20 mins.

I honestly have been shocked at this weather. It hasn’t been crazy humid either.

I believe this is the rareity and not the norm

I'm going starting next Friday and I hope your good luck holds out for me!

We went multiple years in late August and it was hot and sweaty but really doable, and the savings from free dining and cheaper airfare made it worth it. And then the last August trip we went on was just so much more awful, just much hotter than normal and I said never again. Well, we're going this year the first week of September because the cost savings were just too good. We plan to do what the others have recommended, be there at rope drop, spend the midday back at the hotel and then back to the parks in the evening. FWIW, with rain, we had two hurricane scares. One turned into a tropical storm when it hit, and the other was just really horrible rain. I think we still hit Hollywood Studios during the tropical storm and it was almost empty, and the other we stayed at the resort in the morning when the rain was really bad and went to a park when it lightened up a little. And there's usually a drenching thunderstorm in the afternoons in any case. Usually it just means leaving the pool or going inside for a bit. I do recommend constant hydration. Any snack/counter service will give you cups of water or ice for free. We have Camelbak bottles and will refill them throughout the day. Other icy drinks and cool snacks are good. We also carry little personal fans with us. We also try to alternate outdoor and indoor rides and attractions.

It will be hot and it will be humid. It's Florida in August.

It will probably rain in some way shape or form. But just wait 10 minutes and it'll stop.

As far as crowds, I have no idea as I avoid anything outdoors in Florida between May and late September.

It is very very hot. Heat radiates off the pavement. Be sure to drink lots of water. On our last Aug trip, we saw people pass out from dehydration. The FL sun is Aug is no joke. It is getting more and more busy, they have added Halloween parties starting in Aug. F and W now starts in Aug etc. so more crowds are being drawn in. Many many Northern, mid west schools do not go back until after Labor Day so there will be lots of people. Plus, tons of Canadians as they go back even later. It is hurricane season, so keep an eye on the weather. We went twice in Aug and twice hurricanes were heading for FL. We had to leave early one year, the other year the storm went south of FL and fizzled out, but after they declared a state of emergency and everyone panicked. The sweet spot for hurricanes is mid-aug through mid Sept.

We're another family from NY that goes at the end of August, though not usually as late as we are going this year (very last week). I try to time it to go after Florida schools are all in session, and that usually coincides with free dining, though we don't make use of that, usually just using resort only discounts.
I had a Facebook memory pop up from 4 years ago yesterday. That was not an easy trip because it was very early August and I had a 18 month old. I much prefer to wait a few weeks out, avoid most of the country's schools (even those that are still out here in the Northeast as people mostly feel it's too hot to go), and enjoy ourselves. In future years, we're looking at having to go this late (after August 17th) as my daughter may have a summer program running that late.

So, yes, it's hot. But there is a definite difference between early and late August in terms of crowds and pricing, and I'd rather go when I'm not worrying about missing schoolwork and school days, paying more and dealing with holiday crowds. We're finding that our area in NY/NJ tends to clear out in August anyway...lots of people vacationing. We used to do October before we had kids, then it was January, then with them being school age, it's been August since about 2011. It'll be August for a years to come too, as we're already planning out future years. ;)

We are going in two weeks because that is the only time we can go this year. If given the choice of Disney in the heat or no Disney at all, I choose the heat.

Been late August twice. I love the heat so I may be in the minority. But if it’s go in August or not at all, I’m going in August. If you were to ask me about January, that would be a different answer. I don’t ever want to be walking around Magic Kingdom wearing a hat and gloves again!

I definitely don't prefer going then, but we go anyway. We've gone the last week of August for the past 7 years and will be there again in about 2 weeks. It's really, really, really hot - I mean REALLY hot! It typically downpours at least once per day. We navigate our way around the heat, typically only doing mornings and evenings in the parks with long midday breaks. Sunscreen, water, a hat and lots of breaks. It's definitely not the ideal time to go.

Are you just talking about weather or crowds as well?
Mainly the weather.
As far as weather goes if you know how to handle it its really not that big of an impact.
Sorry, but I disagree and believe me, I know how to handle the heat as I'm outdoors at WDW in the heat and full sun the vast majority of the time the entire year. And I've been at it a long, long time. I have to be out in it, but I certainly wouldn't pay to do it. I would opt not go or go at a better time.

Been late August twice. I love the heat so I may be in the minority. But if it’s go in August or not at all, I’m going in August. If you were to ask me about January, that would be a different answer. I don’t ever want to be walking around Magic Kingdom wearing a hat and gloves again!

Daughter and I like August well enough to have gone so many times I've lost track! It was much better in August than in March, when it was cold! And I've done the hat and gloves trips twice, not half as much fun as August, IMO.

Mainly the weather.
Sorry, but I disagree and believe me, I know how to handle the heat as I'm outdoors at WDW in the heat and full sun the vast majority of the time the entire year. And I've been at it a long, long time. I have to be out in it, but I certainly wouldn't pay to do it. I would opt not go or go at a better time.

That's your opinion, but isn't it because you had to stay out in it? When you are there as a guest, you can go sit inside whenever you want, just breeze through a shop, get a drink, etc. Go back to the resort, shower, nap, swim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter