WDW Maid Caught in Sting

Since it was a DVC resort, it's in a different category---- There is only maid service on the fourth day-- so she most likely shouldn't even be in the rooms...
And as far as a tip-- doesn't that get left when you check out? Do some of you tip in the middle of your stay?
I haven't stayed DVC, but I leave a few dollars in a envelope my daughter decorated every day as it may not be serviced by the same person the whole time.

Not to increase the paranoia level, but unless you have extra security luggage, there are pretty easy ways in there as well.

But you make a good point. Security is less about a sure thing and more about making it too inconvenient for a would-be thief. I considered the universal passkey thing for the safe, but I think it's more unlikely to get a random staff member to try that than say an envelope in a drawer.

What @SaharanTea said regarding a Universal is exactly what I meant. As for my luggage I have built in locks as well as locks I put on myself. Believe me, it wouldn't be pretty easy for them to get in unless hey ripped the entire suitcase apart.

When I was at All-Star Music I left money out routinely under a paper that said Thank you (I didn't see any envelopes) and it was there when I got back each day - I couldn't give away my money.

And no, I got no towel animals.
This has happened to me every time I have been. The past 4 years, I think 8 trips. I've left with a note and they do not take it!!!

What @SaharanTea said regarding a Universal is exactly what I meant. As for my luggage I have built in locks as well as locks I put on myself. Believe me, it wouldn't be pretty easy for them to get in unless hey ripped the entire suitcase apart.
Well, if a thief was going to the effort of breaking into safes with a master, I doubt they'd have anything against taking a knife to a suitcase, although it would be far more obvious. :)

Luckily, we haven't had anything stolen that I'm aware of anywhere we've stayed.

Do you think OKW housekeepers feel slighted since there's less daily housekeeping at a DVC resort which means they probably get less tips?

o_O

Does anyone actually use the safes in the rooms? Now I'm thinking maybe I should.

We use the safe but it's rare for us to have a significant amount of cash lying around.

We also have locks on our suitcases. Locks aren't a guarantee your items won't be taken, but most thieves are lazy and take what's easily accessible: money left out, electronics on a table. This is why burglars usually wait until someone isn't home; they don't want the added drama.

Fire her, and deport her if possible. Nothing can ruin a vacation more than having your money stolen. Think about it, most people coming to WDW have been saving for years. To have your hopes and dreams stolen from a low life, just is not fair. your family's vacation is ruined because of one persons selfish wants and desires.

When I was at All-Star Music I left money out routinely under a paper that said Thank you (I didn't see any envelopes) and it was there when I got back each day - I couldn't give away my money.

And no, I got no towel animals.

I believe I read that at WDW Housekeeping is considered a non-tipped position. Could it be that technically they are not allowed to take tips (like the bus drivers) but some are less worried about the rule than others? I know when I was in a position loading peoples cars at a now out of business electronics store, I was not supposed to take tips, but I did because what the heck.

Does anyone actually use the safes in the rooms? Now I'm thinking maybe I should.

Always. We bring only a certain amount of cash each day, and one card. Everything else...the back up credit card, the debit card, and the cash...stays in the safe.

Any electronics my kids might bring stay in there, too.

Always. We bring only a certain amount of cash each day, and one card. Everything else...the back up credit card, the debit card, and the cash...stays in the safe.

Any electronics my kids might bring stay in there, too.

Also not having cash and using the ATM adds some security. As long as you can get the ATM fee to be around $1 per $100 it is no worse than when I used travelers checks. And almost as safe.

Well, if a thief was going to the effort of breaking into safes with a master, I doubt they'd have anything against taking a knife to a suitcase, although it would be far more obvious. :)

Luckily, we haven't had anything stolen that I'm aware of anywhere we've stayed.

Ok whatever, I'm sure if I said I had some kind of super duper new suitcase that sealed itself shut and could only be opened with a blood sample, you'd have an answer for that too.

I'm out.

Fire her, and deport her if possible. Nothing can ruin a vacation more than having your money stolen. Think about it, most people coming to WDW have been saving for years. To have your hopes and dreams stolen from a low life, just is not fair. your family's vacation is ruined because of one persons selfish wants and desires.
What made you think she wasn't an American?

I had jewelry taken from my room at the Poly. Had the sheriff called in because it was over 1,000 with the bag it was in and it was on two separate occasions during a 13 night stay. What was even worse is the staff at the Poly was unapologetic and could have cared less. It was truly a horrifying manner. Not once did I get an "I'm sorry" or let us at least buy you lunch. I was mortified with the lack of understanding and compassion. With that i normally always use the safe for wallets, electronics and medications. I happened to leave the bag out one night as we were in a rush.
Were you getting married there?

Sorry, I'm probably just really ignorant about what life is like in the upper class, but only my wedding set is worth more than that! I'm trying to concieve in my mind a necklace worth that much, and in my mind you're Princess/Duchess Kate now.

My travel jewelry is the cheap stuff.

Who am I kidding? All my jewelry is probably considered cheap stuff. If it's real, I bartered for it overseas on deployment!

What made you think she wasn't an American?

I'm not trying to add fuel to someone else's fire, but I would be guilty of thinking the same thing merely because EVERY mouse keeper we have encountered in our onsite stays (only since 2014) have spoken NO English....at all....or they were great pretenders at just standing there with a blank expression shrugging their shoulders. I would expect someone that's an American citizen to at least answer a simple question like "could I please get some more soap"

I had jewelry taken from my room at the Poly. Had the sheriff called in because it was over 1,000 with the bag it was in and it was on two separate occasions during a 13 night stay. What was even worse is the staff at the Poly was unapologetic and could have cared less. It was truly a horrifying manner. Not once did I get an "I'm sorry" or let us at least buy you lunch. I was mortified with the lack of understanding and compassion. With that i normally always use the safe for wallets, electronics and medications. I happened to leave the bag out one night as we were in a rush.

You can probably thank the lawyers for no I'm sorry. If apologies are not stated just right then they can be interpreted as an admission of guilt. many companies train their employees to never say sorry.

I'm not trying to add fuel to someone else's fire, but I would be guilty of thinking the same thing merely because EVERY mouse keeper we have encountered in our onsite stays (only since 2014) have spoken NO English....at all....or they were great pretenders at just standing there with a blank expression shrugging their shoulders. I would expect someone that's an American citizen to at least answer a simple question like "could I please get some more soap"

America doesn't have an official language. You can be American and not speak English.

Fun fact (or possibly a tall tale?) Ben Franklin wanted the official language to be German.

America doesn't have an official language. You can be American and not speak English.

Fun fact (or possibly a tall tale?) Ben Franklin wanted the official language to be German.

Really!?!?!? I had no idea.

SARCASM

But seriously, the general consensus for many years has been English. I made no claims to it being the "official language" just that it should be expected.

If I were going to work in another country I would sure be learning what is/are the standard languages there.

I don't want to have to close this thread. If we can't be respectful and keep arguing I'll have to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter