WDW Marathon Waivers Are (sort of) Up!

I think he calculated the 3:00 listed by Disney for J. It's more likely Disney is anticipating 2:45 for I, though.

For the Half Marathon Corrals, they have listed:

E - Estimated Time of 2:00 (9:10/mile pace)
F
G
H
I
J - Estimated Time of 3:00 (13:45/mile pace)

I just guessed at the runners in Corral I being around an estimated time of 2:50-2:55 (13:00/mile - 13:21/mile). Even at 2:45 (12:35/mile) it's pretty far below the corresponding pace of the marathon corral I'm in.

The only thing new here is the fact that there are more corrals and thus is makes it seem like we are further back. Wait until the program comes out. I am thinking that the K corral is the 0600(ish) corral and that the last runner will still cross the start in the later 06:20's

I'm not concerned at all about my starting time. I'm more just curious why, if I submitted POT of 9:30/mile, I'm starting in a corral with runners who are going to be 3-4 minutes/mile slower than that. I'm planning on running the half more slowly than my POT, but not by *that* much.

Where are you seeing these? I don't think that is true for the Half "I" corral. I'm in K (two corrals back), and have faster estimated and proof times for the half. Maybe more along the lines of 12:20/mile. I know, still not where you wanted to be, but not 13:25.

I think those are that poster's planned paces. I didn't submit a proof of time anywhere near as fast as that, and I'm in a faster corral than that.

Those aren't my planned paces - they're from the runDisney website:

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/run...n/2014/2014CorralAssignmentsHalfMarathon2.pdf

For the Half Marathon it lists Corral J with an estimated time of 3 hours, which translates to a pace of 13:45/mile.

For the Marathon it lists Corral K with an estimated time of 5 hours which translates to a pace of about 11:27/mile.

I subtracted a little time from each of those corrals to come up with what I estimated the finish times for I to be and then converted to pace. That's where I came up with:

Half Marathon Corral I Estimated Finish of 2:50-2:55 and pace about 13:25/mile
Marathon Corral I Estimated Finish of 4:30-4:45 and pace about 10:20-10:50/mile

I'm not concerned at all about my starting time. I'm more just curious why, if I submitted POT of 9:30/mile, I'm starting in a corral with runners who are going to be 3-4 minutes/mile slower than that. I'm planning on running the half more slowly than my POT, but not by *that* much.

Because if they put you in F for the half with the 9:30/mile people, you'd also be in F for the full, with the 9:09/mile marathon runners. Which I assume is also not your planned pace. If they are only giving one bib and therefore one corral, at best one of them is going to be correct, and one wrong. Or they could split the difference, and both would seem wrong. The solution is to give two different bibs/corrals, which seems like something they should seriously consider for next year.

Those aren't my planned paces - they're from the runDisney website:

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/run...n/2014/2014CorralAssignmentsHalfMarathon2.pdf

For the Half Marathon it lists Corral J with an estimated time of 3 hours, which translates to a pace of 13:45/mile.

For the Marathon it lists Corral K with an estimated time of 5 hours which translates to a pace of about 11:27/mile.

I subtracted a little time from each of those corrals to come up with what I estimated the finish times for I to be and then converted to pace. That's where I came up with:

Half Marathon Corral I Estimated Finish of 2:50-2:55 and pace about 13:25/mile
Marathon Corral I Estimated Finish of 4:30-4:45 and pace about 10:20-10:50/mile

I think those estimates are really off. Like I said, I'm in H, planning for a 5:30 or 6 hour marathon.

Because if they put you in F for the half with the 9:30/mile people, you'd also be in F for the full, with the 9:09/mile marathon runners. Which I assume is also not your planned pace. If they are only giving one bib and therefore one corral, at best one of them is going to be correct, and one wrong. Or they could split the difference, and both would seem wrong. The solution is to give two different bibs/corrals, which seems like something they should seriously consider for next year.

Separate corral assignments would probably be best, or they could have spread out the runners differently to make the corresponding corrals the same (approximate) pace. That would impact their ability to assign the exact number of runners in each corral that they have now though.

I was looking at the Half Marathon corrals. Corral I is just in front of the 3:00 corral, so assuming Corral I will be around 2:55 it should be a pace somewhere around 13:25/mile.

It seems the penalty for the Half Marathon is far greater than the penalty for the Marathon. Why would they assume a nearly 4 minute/mile penalty for the half marathon, but almost no penalty for the full marathon?

I was wondering about this as well......
I submitted a 2;23 Half as POT, and gave 5 hrs as estimate for the Full (ie double the Half plus a few more minutes)
That landed me in Coral K, which shows as 5 hrs for the FULL, but over 3 hrs for the HALF?
yes, I plan to try to save myself for the FULL, but it's curious that runDisney decided I should hold back on the HALF to that degree!

I ran a 2:35 in the wdw half last year and was placed in J. Not exactly lining up with 3 hrs. I have been training to do 2:20 this year bust not sure if the crowds will allow it.

My husband finished #388 in the marathon last year and was placed in corral B. He runs a 1:35 half and around 3:28 full. He's not too happy about being in B.

I ran a 2:35 in the wdw half last year and was placed in J. Not exactly lining up with 3 hrs. I have been training to do 2:20 this year bust not sure if the crowds will allow it.

My husband finished #388 in the marathon last year and was placed in corral B. He runs a 1:35 half and around 3:28 full. He's not too happy about being in B.

Assuming that not everyone runs a PR in the WDW marathon, it doesn't seem unlikely that there are 500 runners with a better proof of time than your DH, even with his top 400 finish last year. Does he realize that there are only about 500 runners total between the elite and A corrals for 2014? B should start about 2 minutes behind A, so he's only about 2 minutes and 100 runners off of where he feels he should be. I'm not sure why they placed you in J, though, if the estimated times they put on the corral lists are accurate. That just seems off.

I was wondering about this as well......
I submitted a 2;23 Half as POT, and gave 5 hrs as estimate for the Full (ie double the Half plus a few more minutes)
That landed me in Coral K, which shows as 5 hrs for the FULL, but over 3 hrs for the HALF?
yes, I plan to try to save myself for the FULL, but it's curious that runDisney decided I should hold back on the HALF to that degree!

OK...my times are right in line with your (est and submitted) and I'm in K.

DoctorK, I hadn't seen the link with the times in the right hand column (just the earlier link with the corrals and bib numbers). I agree...it's sort of wacky that we are in roughly the right corral for the full but the times for the half are off. Weird.
Oh, well...It is what it is. Hopefully we won't be held up too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter