• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW nuts First Trip to Disneyland!!!

Aristomommy

<font color=deeppink>We were in the “wild animals”
CAST OF CHARACTERS
ME- :surfweb: Mom, WDW nut, compulsive planner, Disneyland newbie
DH- :drive: WDW nut, no planning since I do it all, many trips to DL as a child
MIL- popcorn:: mother-in-law, many trips to DL
DD8,:tinker: WDW nut, Disneyland newbie
DS2, pluto: WDW nut, Disneyland newbie

TRIP TO CALIFORNIA
Day before our flight, we received warnings of a blizzard approaching the Midwest. Snow began to fall about 2pm and kept coming down with increasing speed. The next morning, we were supposed to leave at 7am, but found ourselves in 2 feet of snow, and much more had drifted onto our driveway. We quickly began shoveling snow, but after 30 minutes, our car was still stuck on the driveway. After about 45 minutes of pushing and spinning the wheels, the car was on the road. We then quickly loaded our suitcases into the car in knee deep snow and off we went.
At the airport, we were informed that the runways would not open until 1030am. Our flight was supposed to leave at 900am, and many flights were being cancelled. We received updates periodically, and finally left 4 hours behind schedule. DH and I were making new plans for our first day. We would have about 3 hours in the park instead of half a day, but it didn’t matter, we were on our way to DISNEYLAND!!!!!

FIRST DAY:

We checked into the Carousel Inn hotel and found the process very quick and easy. We had reserved a family suite with 3 Queen Beds and a kitchenette. Everything was very clean and neat.

We decided to go to DLR. It was a Wednesday and Main Street looked very empty. I gathered that we wouldn’t have much trouble with crowds but decided to choose quick loading attractions to get as much out of the three hours we had. We also chose to skip the 7pm parade to avoid crowds during that time. We started with a quick bite at Bengal Barbecue and enjoyed asparagus, chicken, and beef skewers. We then headed to Pirates of the Caribbean. We were excited to see the differences between WDW and DLR versions and also the changes since refurbishment. We loved the two “drops” during the ride, and all of us rated Disneyland version superior to WDW. Also the fact we just walked on, added to the magic. Next was Haunted Mansion, which to us was very similar to WDW. We love this ride, and even DS thought it was silly scary vs. really scary. Again, no wait for this ride. We worked our way around to Winnie the Pooh. It was very similar to WDW, but the cars are different. DS loved this ride as I thought it would. We could have stayed on for another run, but decided to keep going.

Next we walked past Splash Mountain which was being refurbished. DD and DH were disappointed even though I told them in advance. I think they were being optimistic or they may have doubted my research! Well, mom is always right, even when it comes to refurbishments, LOL. As a matter of fact, DH was asking me questions the entire trip: “What does the message board (DIS) say about…..?This area of the park was very empty and all the concessions were closed as well. Weird feeling at a Disney park… We came to Fantasyland, as the parade was starting to go through. We rode Casey Jr. circus train, which was a new ride for most of us. We were in the “wild animals” cage, which was very fitting for us. We got a nice view of the parade (although I was a little sad to miss it) and also noticed very light crowds all over Fantasyland. Next was another new ride for us, Pinocchio’s Daring Journey, which we all enjoyed. Since DS is only 2, I wished that the cars would have gone slower, as he had a hard time seeing all the characters during the ride. The same thing was with other Fantasyland attractions, as he would just look on one side and miss lot of the detail. We also went on Snow White next door without any wait. I was pretty happy with all we were able to see in the short time. Our grand finale was Small World. I thought the entrance was much better than at WDW, it was really beautiful. We waited maybe 3 boats before it was our turn. When we stepped off, it was time for the 8pm clock show outside. That’s when it sunk in… we are at Disneyland. As we stood in the California heat watching the little show, DH and I holding hands like teenagers, I felt the magic we feel during each WDW trip…. Perfect ending to a day that started less than perfectly.

Next post will be.... DAY TWO: Early Entry and DCA

Hello! I'm enjoying ur trip report. I walked past the Carousel Inn everyday on my trip longing to stay at such a close hotel. How was it?

When were you there? The lack of lines rings familiar...I was there Feb 6th-10th. I agree about the fast pace of the Fantasyland dark rides. My fave was Toadie and Pinocchio, two that I can't get at WDW.

Disneyland definitely has won a place in my heart. I am a WDW fan and thought I was cheating on her, but DLR has it charms. DCA is one of them...gave me a great feel for California.

Looking forward to reading more.

Hello! I'm enjoying ur trip report. I walked past the Carousel Inn everyday on my trip longing to stay at such a close hotel. How was it?

When were you there? The lack of lines rings familiar...I was there Feb 6th-10th. I agree about the fast pace of the Fantasyland dark rides. My fave was Toadie and Pinocchio, two that I can't get at WDW.

Disneyland definitely has won a place in my heart. I am a WDW fan and thought I was cheating on her, but DLR has it charms. DCA is one of them...gave me a great feel for California.

Looking forward to reading more.

Carousell Inn was great, not that we spend a lot of time there, LOL!!! The way I decided on it was, that we needed enough room for 3 adults and 2 kids. DS fell asleep before the rest of us, and it was nice to have a separate room for him. It was cheper than the other hotels for that size room in the maingate area. Room was clean and service was great.

I also like the rides in Fantasyland that are not at WDW. I have found many favorites at Disneyland that dont' exist at WDW.Thanks for reading my report so far. I will add to it later.

DAY TWO:

After a comfortable night’s sleep, we all woke up by 6:30am still in East coast time. It was actually nice, since we had plenty of time to get ready before 9am early entry to Disneyland. We ate breakfast at our hotel, went by a mini mart for bottled water and juice for kids. As we entered the security bag check around 8:30am, I saw no lines in front of the gates. Are we an hour early? Did I misread the early entry?:confused: In my frenzy, I begin to check all my papers and find out that there is early entry at 9am. At WDW, we would walk Main Street half an hour before and line up behind the ropes to Fantasyland. As it turns out, the gates will not open until 9am, so we have half an hour wait until we can go through the turnstiles. The time passed quickly, but I missed the warm welcome at WDW, it seemed a bit disorganized here and no smiles from the CMs.

Our plan was to go to Fantasyland, see all the attraction’s we didn’t see the day before and then go to Tomorrowland. We had to do Dumbo first against DIS members advice, because it’s a family tradition. DS’s excitement was evident, as he recently saw Dumbo on DVD. We then went to Peter Pan’s Flight, where we encountered a small line already forming. After about 5 minute wait, we were off to Neverland. Just a word of caution to those with small children or babies: hold on to your little ones!!! :eek: The ride tips forward several times and the lap bar will do nothing to prevent your child from falling over. This ride was very similar to WDW, I didn’t notice any differences. I couldn’t wait to try Mr. Toad’s wild ride after this. No lines present, we zipped on and before long, the ride was over. Very cute, but again too fast for DS to catch the detail. Snow White’s Scary Ride was familiar to us from WDW and we loved it equally. Alice in Wonderland ride was also new to us, and I thought it was so cute because it goes inside and outside. I'm sure this would be on the perks of great California weather.

It was really funny, because DH and I are so used to the layout of Magic Kingdom, that we were really disoriented most of the time. The view of Matterhorn really got me (what is Mount Everest doing here, DD asked, LOL). Nevertheless, we were not trying to compare the two parks as in to make one superior to the other, but we were observing the differences and appreciating them equally. Speaking of Matterhorn, it was the next ride we decided to try. Since DS is only 2, we did our first babyswap here. Line was maybe 10 minutes long and DD loved the ride. She decided to go with me using the babyswap pass and we had a blast going together. She soon realized how the baby swap pass would benefit her as well; she could go twice every fast, scary ride that DS would not go on!!:cool1: We only had about an hour left, before we needed to head over to California Adventure’s park for our lunch ressies. We decided to go on the Storybook land Canal boats. Boy, was that a mistake!!! :headache: They only had one boat going around, and loading and unloading is sloooooow. We had maybe 30 people ahead of us, and only 10-12 will go at a time, circle the tour and then get off the boat. My thought was that the park is so empty, why wait all this time, but I was quickly veto’d by other members of the party. :sad2: After over 30 minute wait without any shade, we saw the miniature trees and went inside a whale. I think I lost some of my “magic” with this ride. For DH, it was reliving his childhood, for me it was TORTURE…:scared:

Next, we started to walk towards DCA and Ariel’s Grotto. Going from one park to the other is definitely a perk at Disneyland. I love the short distances and making most of our day that way. I had made 1130am ressies to Ariel’s Grotto, to get some one on one character interaction. Speaking of characters: where are they at the parks? We had the hardest time finding any during the three days. I am used to seeing them everywhere, but they were so elusive, I was really surprised. Anyway, the Princesses were hiding at Ariel’s for sure.:thumbsup2 They seat all people pretty much at once, so we had to wait for the 1130am seating time together with all the other families. Not sure why it was decided to do this way, but I was told it wasn’t just because we were the first dining time, it is done throughout the day that way. I took DS to the bathroom, and our name was called at that time. It was then that DH made the ultimate mistake in character dining: he accepted to circular booth for our party!!! I say this half-jokingly, but I don’t really consider getting up 5 times during my meal a pleasurable experience to let the kids out for autographs and pictures, when we can do it seated. As DS and I came down the staircase and I saw where they were sitting, I was trying to figure out how to make it work. We managed to get a highchair for DS and DD sat at the end of the circular booth to take pictures. Crisis averted, LOL. The food was good, DH’s potpie was good, but I liked my meatloaf better. DS got a free halfportion of mac and cheese for free, which I thought was great.

Character interaction is much more relaxed than at any other character meal we’ve ever been. Princesses made small talk, asking if they could write in DD’s autograph book and posed for pictures without a hurry. Cinderella’s castle at WDW, was a disappointment in this regard, as the princesses went through the room like a tornado snatching the autograph books from little girls hands. DH was pleased to see Jasmine, not sure why???:rotfl2:

I will continue our trip report with our day at DCA park including Rocking California Screaming, Aladdin show and our hunt for Characters…

Had to laugh about Storybookland. Just a cute mellow ride, that is very nostalgic for some. I go by it sometimes, and think I should go on it again, and then I see the line and say no way.
Enjoying reading your report so far. Thanks!:goodvibes

We went to DL for the 1st time last June and I've been going through a sort of withdrawal the last few days. It's funny considering what a WDW-junkie I am (we've got 3 trips booked--spending over one month there in June, August, and September/October), but I've been very nostaglic about our DL trip. Today I couldn't get "Let's all sing like the birdies sing" out of my head and reading your trip report has me missing Casey Jr. and the Dumbo ride there (I loved the fact that water was beneath the ride!). Wish I had a delicious bread bowl from the bakery over at DCA right now!

Have to agree that Ariel's Grotto seating seemed very chaotic--why they didn't stagger reservations better is beyond me. This was probably my favorite character dining experience in either DL or WDW. The princesses spent a huge amount of time with DS and all seemed genuinely touched at his pick-up line..."You're so beautiful I would fight _______ for you". He walked out of there with 4 out of 5 of them kissing him--not bad for a 7 year old :rotfl: .

We're planning on heading back to DL in June 2008--your report makes me wish it were this June.

We quickly began shoveling snow, but after 30 minutes, our car was still stuck on the driveway. After about 45 minutes of pushing and spinning the wheels, the car was on the road

At the airport, we were informed that the runways would not open until 1030am. Our flight was supposed to leave at 900am, and many flights were being cancelled. We received updates periodically, and finally left 4 hours behind schedule

Wow, you guys earned the vacation just by what it took to get to the airport that day

It was a Wednesday and Main Street looked very empty.

We started with a quick bite at Bengal Barbecue and enjoyed asparagus, chicken, and beef skewers.

We then headed to Pirates of the Caribbean
Next was Haunted Mansion
We worked our way around to Winnie the Pooh
We came to Fantasyland,
We rode Casey Jr. circus train
Next was another new ride for us, Pinocchio’s Daring Journey
We also went on Snow White
Our grand finale was Small World.
When we stepped off, it was time for the 8pm clock show outside.
That’s when it sunk in… we are at Disneyland. As we stood in the California heat watching the little show, DH and I holding hands like teenagers,…. Perfect ending to a day that started less than perfectly.

Sounds like a great first day…Well except for that Mushy holding hands thing:goodvibes

After over 30 minute wait without any shade, we saw the miniature trees and went inside a whale. I think I lost some of my “magic” with this ride. For DH, it was reliving his childhood, for me it was TORTURE

Too funny, I have been on that rife once in my life and that was enough.

First part of day two looks like it went well, looking forward to more

FANTASTIC trip report. I never do one, shme on me, I enjoy reading others but a typist I sm not. I will try again, darn, I wish I could be so verbal in that way:)

Great trip report. I am looking forward to the rest. DW and I went to WDW alone in 2001 and decided when we went back with kids to do DL because of its size and ease to get around. We had some much fun on that first trip in 2005, we are going back to DL in July. I think WDW has its place in Disney, but for smaller children DL is much easier.

Glad you had fun, looking forward to the rest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter