• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW or Disneyland for Halloween?

I've only done WDW for Halloween before, so is probably go for Disneyland to experience their Halloween.

But that depends on what you've done before?

I have been to both during Halloween decorations. They are similar except DL has the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay in the Haunted Mansion. I am not a NBC fan, but I still thought the overlay was cool. I've been to MNSSHP at WDW (several years ago), but not OBB at DL. There are reports of same day party tix at both WDW and DL, though they seem to be much more rare at DL unless you are a resort hotel guest and get on the list by 5:00 am. If you want more info on DL, check out the Disneyland forum. Lots of good info.

I did both last year and if I had to choose one or the other would choose OBB over MNSSHP. I just had a better time overall. Although some of the lines at OBB were long, many were quick and easy to join and do. I was able to get a great spot for the parade minutes before it started and without everyone being smashed together. At MNSSHP, I had to stake out a spot 45 minutes before to have a decent view and still boxed in tightly. It just felt more relaxed at OBB over MNSSHP.

Granted, I feel like DLR is overall a much more relaxed vacation.

Both seem amazing, but WDW gets the edge for me simply because the entertainment is better in my books, especially the Jack during the fireworks!

DL as long as you don't want the party. Less weather interruption risk since Oct is hurricane season in FL. I also love the Halloween decor on Buena Vista street in DCA with the headless horseman statue, purple lights and bats around Carthay Circle.

If you want the party you have to go to WDW and you should buy your tickets ASAP.

It took two Halloween parties at Disneyland for us to decide never, ever to do them again. You get all the L.A./Orange County older teens coming into the park and obnoxiously goofing on people. You get given less candy than at MK. And the "trick or treat" queues can be really long. We hated the vibe. Then again, the MK parties are really overcrowded. I would choose whichever party/coast that has the specific things you want to do/get out of attending.

It took two Halloween parties at Disneyland for us to decide never, ever to do them again. You get all the L.A./Orange County older teens coming into the park and obnoxiously goofing on people. You get given less candy than at MK. And the "trick or treat" queues can be really long. We hated the vibe. Then again, the MK parties are really overcrowded. I would choose whichever party/coast that has the specific things you want to do/get out of attending.
I think if I ever get the chance to go I might be happier at DL - they do more with the villians and that's really my bag for Halloween.

Did you do OBB at DCA?

Since this thread specifically asks for comparison between the Oogie Boogie Bash at Disney's California Adventure vs Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Walt Disney World, here is my take.

We did MNSSHP last October and were at OBB last night. The MNSSHP was better by a factor of two, in our opinion.

OBB had no fireworks nor a Sanderson Sisters/Oogie Boogie/villians stage show as is done at the MNSSHP. Those Florida stage/fireworks shows were about an hour long in total and came between the two parade performances.

The two parades were comparable, we thought.

The treat trails were comparable, but seemed to be easier to locate at the MNSSHP than at OBB.

It may have been our imagination, but last night after the first OBB parade, it seemed there was an effort to squeeze out guests, as many restaurants and bars closed early, as did many attractions. It could have been this was anticipation of thinning crowds, however.

All this doesn't take in to consideration the superior Southern California climate vs that of South Florida, or any other factors like hotels, or the other qualities of DCA vs WDW MK

I would recommend the WDW/MNSSHP over the DCA/OBB without hesitation. This opinion is based upon a single visitation of both parties over the course of the past year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter