WDW Scooter or outside company?

MaggieMollyMom

Mouseketeer
Any advice on renting ECV within the parks vs outside source? My husband can walk to buses and for shorter periods no problem. Problem is that I will also have to push my daughter in her wheelchair and trying to get 2 spots on buses may be tricky ... ?

The biggest problem with renting a WDW park scooter is availability.
It's based on first come, first serve and there's only so many scooters per park to go around. A WDW scooter if there are problems with it then it's probably easier to get help and get the scooter replaced, if necessary. Also, you don't have to contend with doing the battery charging every night. You pay more for a WDW park scooter.

A scooter from an outside vendor will cost less. There will be no availability issues. You will be able to use it around your resort or anywhere else. You are responsible for the battery being charged every day. Getting a scooter on and off Disney transportation especially the buses is tough. With a wheelchair and scooter you may have to wait for a second bus or whatever to get on together. Some people are willing to separate and meet where you get off.

We've done it both ways. We prefer an outside vendor. We want to have a scooter at all times.

Like the above, I wouldn't count on WDW availability. We have always ordered one with the Disney-approved vendor so they can deliver and leave the scooter. It worked for us because we fly and if we get in late we don't want to meet the vendor in the lobby (or if something happens with the flight).

I used ScooterBug last August and a different company before that. I just confirm who is approved with the resort and go with that.

The off-sites rental companies have much nicer ECVs at cheaper cost and no chance they'll sell out. I personally like Gold Mobility but any company mentioned here is probably better than a park scooter.

You're right about getting split up on busses - is that a huge problem if one of you gets there first? I see you have 2 kids in your profile so maybe one kid go with dad and you push the one in the wc? I personally have faired well sending my family ahead of me (they wait in the regular line so they sometimes get on the bus before me) and have them pick up my Starbucks for me so it's there when I get through the turnstile - haha! ;)

I realize you may want to stay together so you could always let someone go ahead of you if there's a line of mobility devices. The other option could be a Minnie Van that can take ECVs and can take your WC as well - extra $$ but its an option if you need it. I've used them getting from resort to resort - super convenient for that.

Yes, cost is a big difference-I rented a WDW scooter on 3 separate days, then the next time I rented for the entire week from an outside vendor for about the same price. The other difference is BIG-I mean size. They say the bigger, the more comfort. Not true with WDW scooters. They're kind of like trying to negotiate with a huge tank in a small parking lot. I don't know how people get through some of the twisty-turns in lines.

I would rent for off site. That way you are guaranteed to have a scooter, as the parks do run out. Plus the off site ones are easier to drive and can go faster.

Question: Do you have your resort picked? If you are flexible, I would go with either a boardwalk resort or one on the skyliner. That will make it so you only have to use the bus to 2 resorts and not all 4. The boardwalk resorts you can boat or walk to Epcot and The Disney Studios. The skyliner will get you to those same resorts too.

I personally recommend an outside vendor if your looking to guarantee availability. I always recommend Gold Mobility Scooters, we have had the opportunity over the past 10 years to use all the companies renting scooters in the area. Gold Mobility has been the best for dependability, price and battery life by far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter