• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Should Not Open in July. Discuss.

Should WDW open in July?

• Yes. I'd definitely go if I had the chance.

Votes: 133 26.3%
  • No. Not in July, but I would go before a vaccine is available.

Votes: 203 40.2%
  • No. Not in July, and I won't feel safe going until there is a vaccine.

Votes: 169 33.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
CM’s do not have a job without guests. Disney is not immune from running out of money. Eventually, they will run out of money just like everyone else.
Correct, but they are still two different groups of people making decisions for two different things for two different reasons.

One group wants to work to feed their family. The other group is going on vacation. Completely different.

Correct, but they are still two different groups of people making decisions for two different things for two different reasons.

One group wants to work to feed their family. The other group is going on vacation. Completely different.

I understand what you’re saying but you still need both. If you really don’t think anyone should go then it’s time to begin permanent layoffs and the discontinuation of paying CM benefits while they are on furlough. I don’t think anyone really wants to see that happen but something has to give.

For the record, I’m not going.

And if they didn’t have ppl willing to go on vacation, there would be no job for them to feed their families.

Yeah. I'm in IL and we already had our spike and honestly it was fine. People were out and about with precautions the whole time. We were closed down for so long and it really made no difference. It had to run it's course.

Because your area had a (relatively) small spike, the virus ran its course and now the area is good to go? And shutting down vs being open was NO different?
Sorry to say, that’s not how infectious diseases work. It’s not a one-time deal type of thing. Hehe

I understand what you’re saying but you still need both. If you really don’t think anyone should go then it’s time to begin permanent layoffs and the discontinuation of paying CM benefits while they are on furlough. I don’t think anyone really wants to see that happen but something has to give.

For the record, I’m not going.
I'm not sure what the pros and cons are for benefits vs unemployment, so I can't comment on that.

But both groups have options. Vacationers can go to Dollywood, or Yellowstone, or a number of other places. CMs can get other jobs if there are no Disney jobs.

But the question was whether WDW should reopen given the dramatic increase in cases in many states. Is it too much of a risk for Orlando, Florida?

Is it too much of a risk for other states? NY, NJ and CT already have arrivals from Florida on a quarantine -- are they crazy or smart? (I think they're smart.)

Because your area had a (relatively) small spike, the virus ran its course and now the area is good to go? And shutting down vs being open was NO different? Okay.
Sorry to say, that’s not how infectious diseases work. It’s not a one-time deal type of thing. Hehe
I don’t know what the pp meant, but what I mean is I’ve been living in a hotspot & have taken precautions while out in public. I have been doing things in public as soon as things opened up. I follow all guidelines & rules. B/c of this experience, I’m not afraid to travel to another hotspot b/c I am comfortable in the precautions that I already take.

I'm still thinking of the 3rd group-
the medical folks staffing ER's and ICU's. I wonder how many months we can expect them to work to exhaustion.

It's a complicated situation for lots of folks.

I'm still thinking of the 3rd group-
the medical folks staffing ER's and ICU's. I wonder how many months we can expect them to work to exhaustion.

It's a complicated situation for lots of folks.
Our numbers are climbing here again & have been for a few weeks. My sister is an ER nurse & has talked to colleagues at other hospitals & the hospitals are not seeing the increase that corresponds to increase in positive cases this time. She said it’s actually been slow b/c non Covid patients still aren’t coming in much either for fear of getting the virus. I realize it may pick up, but so far it hasn’t. There is also possibility that the virus has weakened.

As someone is healthcare in FL I think it’s beyond irresponsible to open the theme parks. I understand there are people out of work and yes I feel for them but the cases are continuously spiking here and I do believe this is only going to get worse.
I don’t plan on getting the vaccine right away, maybe once it’s been through several trials I may consider.

I'm going to turn this back around on the "People are going to die if you go" crowd. You do not know that. I currently do not get within 20 feet of ANYONE outside of my home without a mask. We follow the mask protocol to a T when we run errands. Nobody comes in our home, and we both work out of our home. All reports from WDW have shown that they are going above and beyond - you are safer there than at home - LITERALLY. Study after study is showing that most people are getting it at home, from people they invited into their homes. Not in businesses (bars excluded - I agree opening those was dumb), certainly not outside, and REALLY not in either of those places when people are following mask and sanitation protocol (i.e. like what is happening at WDW only they are taking it to the next level). Cases have not been tied to beaches, or even the protests. Spending the day in WDW is FAR less risky than going to the beach and especially the protests. Heck, for all the hysteria, there aren't even cases that have been linked to air travel. So I have to wonder, if the people who are travelling to WDW are the ones following all of the rules, what makes you so sure we are all going to die?

Our numbers are climbing here again & have been for a few weeks. My sister is an ER nurse & has talked to colleagues at other hospitals & the hospitals are not seeing the increase that corresponds to increase in positive cases this time. She said it’s actually been slow b/c non Covid patients still aren’t coming in much either for fear of getting the virus. I realize it may pick up, but so far it hasn’t. There is also possibility that the virus has weakened.

That's what I've heard here too - our cases are ticking up a bit, about double our low but barely 15% of our peak, but the hospitalization numbers aren't tracking the same way. The thinking I keep hearing is that it is because younger people are driving the spread at this point, with outbreaks linked to bars reopening and mass testing of migrant farmworkers finding a lot of asymptomatic and mild cases, while the first round absolutely decimated nursing home populations in many parts of the state and therefore hit a lot more people who are susceptible to severe illness.

Because your area had a (relatively) small spike, the virus ran its course and now the area is good to go? And shutting down vs being open was NO different?
hmm 3rd highest just behind New Jersey isn't "relatively small" . We are finally back down and that happened quickly. I'm saying we learned to live with it. It's not going away but we all have to live with it.

If you don't want to go anywhere that's your choice. I choose to try to go on with my life as much as possible. Treatments are coming along and people are surviving. There might not be a vaccine and I'm not willing to hunker down in my house for years hoping there is one.

I am sorry but all theme parks shouldn't be open yet. I look at how we have done here in Ontario and ask why can't the US do the same. We just moved into phase 2. No theme parks open yet. Patios only are allowed as well as all retail. Our cases have been under 200 for a few weeks now. Again I ask why can't that be followed in the US.

I had an end of August trip that I just cancelled and rebooked for end of November. Wishful thinking that things will be better by then. I couldn't wrap my head around travelling to Florida with the rise in Corona virus cases so high. And... I'm Canadian... our border is closed to the US right now, so it isn't even possible. That reopening of the border keeps getting pushed back a month at a time continually. I don't see it opening up before August if the trend keeps going the way it has been. I really hope that the USA gets control of the spread soon, and the numbers come down. I want to be able to visit my American friends.

don’t count on if. We have the 10 percent that don’t care.Than a percentage of them people will get corono. That messes it up for everyone else. They are selfish and don’t care. Sure some people get corono that cares but most don’t. They don’t care about themselves they certainlydon’t care about other people.

That's what I've heard here too - our cases are ticking up a bit, about double our low but barely 15% of our peak, but the hospitalization numbers aren't tracking the same way. The thinking I keep hearing is that it is because younger people are driving the spread at this point, with outbreaks linked to bars reopening and mass testing of migrant farmworkers finding a lot of asymptomatic and mild cases, while the first round absolutely decimated nursing home populations in many parts of the state and therefore hit a lot more people who are susceptible to severe illness.
And, imo, this is ok & allows us to keep the economy running & “live” with the virus. The point of closing was the flatten the curve so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed & ppl don’t die unnecessarily only b/c they can’t access care b/c there aren’t enough vents or whatever. If this trend continues, then it should be ok. Also, I think places like nursing homes have taken steps to increase precautions in their facilities now. And, ppl are more educated on the virus now. We keep hearing about all these ppl who are going to go to wdw, get Covid, become asymptomatic, give it their gma & kill them. I think most ppl would not want to harm their families so they will take extra precautions when they return & not visit gma for a coupe weeks. How is wdw anymore dangerous than target if you stay at least 6 ft away from other ppl & everyone wears a mask? It doesn’t matter where ppl are from or how many of them are there if none of them are within 6ft of you maskless.

Agree, but there is a big difference between people taking vacations to WDW and CMs who work at WDW and need the work/income from their jobs.

People who need to work to put food on the table obviously need to work, and hopefully will employ sensible precautions. People who are taking vacations are a completely different category.
A vacation destination,like it or not, relies on people taking vacations. Even the locals ya know they are going there too though they may not call it a vacation.

I'm not debating risk evaluation here rather the idea that somehow the employees of vacation destinations and really leisure places don't have the same needs as the person who works at the grocery store.

I feel confident that Disney will take all the precautions they can. It's the parkgoers that concern me. Sure, most people will be compliant and wear their masks and keep social distance. But I have no way of knowing who won't and where they'll be when I'm in a place where I can't remove myself from the situation. I'm thinking of standing in an indoor queue area, for example.

My sister and I have reservations for December. We're planning as if we're going, however, we may not go. For one thing, my sister and I live in different states and haven't seen each other since the pandemic started. What if one of us is contagious (btw, a person can be totally asymptomatic and still be contagious, in case you didn't realize that)? We'd be sharing a room for a week and wouldn't be wearing our masks in the room. More than that, we'd both be touching multiple surfaces. There'd be no way we could keep social distance from each other or keep clean all the surfaces in our room that each of us touched. So there's that to consider too.

It's one thing to go to the grocery store--a task that takes maybe a half hour, at most, and a venue where one can get away from people one feels uncomfortable around (like if they're not keeping their mask on sort of thing)--and quite another thing to go to a theme park and be around hundreds or thousands of other people. I'll have to feel totally comfortable about it before I go. At this point I can't predict when that will be.

I live in an area that was hard hit by the coronavirus and even here I see people of all ages and walks of life who are either not wearing a mask at all or are wearing it around their neck or on their chin or covering just their mouth. And these people aren't on vacation. I can only imagine what people on vacation will be doing.

Today my DH and I were on the road and we stopped at a rest stop for a bathroom break and to get snacks. Behind one of the cash registers was an employee who was wearing her mask over only her mouth. We went to the other cashier, whose mask was on properly.

Sure, I've gotten sick at Disney before,, but covid-19 isn't just another flu. It's not only highly contagious but its symptoms are varied, unpredictable, often severe, sometimes causing chronic conditions, and sometimes fatal. More than just a few people have died of this disease. I don't take that lightly. I love Disney and I miss WDW a lot, but, you know, I'd rather not die trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter