WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it matters when you change the park reservation. Same day, probably no issue. Day before might be no issue. A couple days before, may or may not be an issue. Several days before, could well be an issue. A week or more out, most likely will lose the DAS Advanced Selections.

My understanding is that the WDW system does a "sweep" at some point. That point is unknown how often or when, though unlikely to be as frequent as every night or as regular as once a week on Tuesdays -- most likely every 2-3 nights. It sweeps and clears out stray theme park reservations without valid tickets, and it's my understanding that it also can sweep out DAS Advanced Selections without the appropriate theme park reservation. So when you change the reservation in relation to when the sweep(s) occurs likely determines whether or not the Advanced Selection gets lost.

I did it 4 days ahead of time. For what that is worth.

we had DAS this year

we go next year again, would we need to do the same process again? or do they see thjart we alsready had das in the past?
thanks

Super confused about DAS and physical disabilities. I called today to inquire and was denied. I had read on Plan Disney that lymphedema was acceptable for a DAS pass but the cm said nope.

When you spoke to the CM today, did you only bring up the diagnosis, or did you explain the issues you (or the DAS user) have with waiting in lines? Disney doesn't go by a diagnosis itself to issue DAS. People with the same diagnosis could have vastly different needs, requiring different accommodations, or even no accommodation at all. The key to DAS is being able to explain the issues you experience when waiting in a traditional queue so the CM can determine whether DAS would be a good fit.

When you spoke to the CM today, did you only bring up the diagnosis, or did you explain the issues you (or the DAS user) have with waiting in lines? Disney doesn't go by a diagnosis itself to issue DAS. People with the same diagnosis could have vastly different needs, requiring different accommodations, or even no accommodation at all. The key to DAS is being able to explain the issues you experience when waiting in a traditional queue so the CM can determine whether DAS would be a good fit.
Well, good grief. I just said the name of the illness and what everyday life is like. I didn’t talk about the experience waiting in lines. I wish I knew this ahead of time. The cast member could have ask also.

The cast member could have ask also.
They should have asked something like “what are your needs standing in an attraction queue.” But if you didn’t explain how your diagnosis impacts you, then no, generally speaking, physical disabilities are not accommodated with a DAS. If a mobility device will accommodate, no DAS is needed. You may need to explain why a mobility device does not help, or what other needs you may have besides physical mobility.

Sorry PlanDisney gave bad advice. Unfortunately their responses are not always accurate and not backed up by Disney.

Anyone else being told that DAS at WDW may be gone in the near future?

(deleting, as it is irrelevant.)

Last edited:

@Matt'sMom I'm sorry you had that experience. I have not heard directly that DAS is going away but they do seem to be tightening up on giving out DAS for certain needs. It sounds like you have been given a DAS in the past. Can you think if you worded your request differently on other visits?

Unfortunately, though, we've often warned folks posting here that DAS requests for a reason like yours are often denied with a recommendation to use a mobility device (wheelchair or rollator) for changing positions frequently. That's why I wondered if you had worded your DAS request differently in the past. By Disney's accommodations, unable to stand in a queue due to pain is a stamina issue accommodated by a mobility device. Would doing things like stretches, movement, short pacing (have your party leave some space between the party in front), squat/stand, etc. help you while in the queue?

Good luck!

I haven't heard anything about DAS going away either. Last week I spoke to the same pre-registration CM as I had in March and they mentioned that maybe we'll get to see each other again in a few months for my next trip.

The CM should not have mentioned that you don't look disabled. I wonder if some feedback to guest services via email might be warranted for that type of comment.

I know I read it somewhere but can't find the information I am looking for. I made some advanced selections. I know that doesn't prevent me from making day of selections. Can these overlap? Also, what happens if I don't use my advance selections? I think I read that they are supposed to drop off if you don't use it in the hour that is booked, but sometimes it doesn't. If that happens what issues can that cause? Just trying to understand it all.

Thanks!

I know I read it somewhere but can't find the information I am looking for. I made some advanced selections. I know that doesn't prevent me from making day of selections. Can these overlap? Also, what happens if I don't use my advance selections? I think I read that they are supposed to drop off if you don't use it in the hour that is booked, but sometimes it doesn't. If that happens what issues can that cause? Just trying to understand it all.

Thanks!
The advanced selections are totally independent from day of.

You can overlap. If you don't use advanced they eventually fall off but there is no negative consequence or impact on day of selections there, either.

The advanced selections are totally independent from day of.

You can overlap. If you don't use advanced they eventually fall off but there is no negative consequence or impact on day of selections there, either.
The only impact on day of selections is if you have an advance and day of selection for the same attraction. If the advance selection is still active (ie didn't fall off after missing window), it will likely use the still active advance selection, rather than the day of selection. If this is the case, you can either ride again with the day of selection, or just delete the day of so you can make another selection.

I don't want to share my actual issues here, but it quite definitely is not stamina nor mobility related at all.
I understand. Simply pointing out that regardless of how you or I or anyone else may categorize it, WDW still considers it "stamina/mobility" and their suggested accommodation is to use a mobility device (even if used in a non-traditional manner).

If changing positions is no help, maybe try pacing in the queue to keep yourself moving. Others may have more suggestions...

The only impact on day of selections is if you have an advance and day of selection for the same attraction. If the advance selection is still active (ie didn't fall off after missing window), it will likely use the still active advance selection, rather than the day of selection. If this is the case, you can either ride again with the day of selection, or just delete the day of so you can make another selection.
Ah, this was what I remembered reading! Thanks!

Q Re “renewing” DAS timeframe

if one called for their DAS on 1/1

then booked and visited the parks starting on 1/25

what day are they able to go thru the process again To request the accommodation…

3/1 or 3/25?

Heading to MK next week and want to get a DAS pass before I get there. I have my friend and family on my account but they will not be with me when I contact on chat. Do they need to be?

Heading to MK next week and want to get a DAS pass before I get there. I have my friend and family on my account but they will not be with me when I contact on chat. Do they need to be?
No. Only the DAS-holder needs to be on the chat. If you want to schedule Advanced Selections they need to be listed in your Friends & Family with a valid ticket.

My mom is the one who needs disability services. She's not going to be able to handle the tech so I'm planning to do it from her home.
#1: Can I do it from my "My Disney Experience" account? She's listed as a name in my family group but she has no login for her account. I can set a login for her if necessary while I'm at her home. I've got access to the email account I set up for my parents to do all the confirmations.
#2: If I do need to set up the appointment under her account, do I need to be logged into her account in the parks? She doesn't have a smart phone but does have an old magic band. We would only want a way to access the two reservations, and would not be making any additional bookings in the park.
#3: Are they going to let me talk for her? She's going to say she needs it because she broke her hip in March and will be on a scooter. I'd tell them she's 83 and has had 25 years of mini strokes compromising her balance, frontal cortex and physical energy in a way that mean it's no longer possible for her to wait in a line. We're planning she would only be in the park for 5 hours. We will have Genie+ to maximize that time, but I'd also like to have the additional two DAS reservations so that she can enjoy her great grandchild's first trip that will also likely be the last of her many Disney World trips over the last 45 years.

#1: Can I do it from my "My Disney Experience" account?
Does she have her own MDE account? Or is her profile managed under your account? You'll need to be logged in to the account that manages her profile to do the DAS registration. Once you are in the parks, any MDE that she is linked to as Friends&Family can make a DAS Return Time in the park.

#3: Are they going to let me talk for her?
Maybe. If she is capable of speaking for herself they will want her to do so. If she needs help, you may help.

She's going to say she needs it because she broke her hip in March and will be on a scooter.
That will not get her a DAS; she will likely be denied. Anything related to stamina, energy, balance, walking, using a scooter, etc. will not likely receive a DAS. Length of time in the parks is not accommodated by DAS either. You mentioned she's had a series of mini strokes, think about whether she has any issues within the queue environment as residual affects of the strokes. Focus the request on those needs.

Just be aware the 2 DAS Advanced Reservations may or may not work well with your timing in the parks. Probably half of folks with DAS end up not using those because the time doesn't fit their plans. You can get in-park DAS Return Times for the same attractions that may work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter